[Fired] Woodcroft is done in Edmonton

Goalie29

4 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Sutter is actually the first guy that came to my mind.  

Despite the fact that he's an older man now with breasts, I still think he's a pretty good coach.  

I'd actually be a bit concerned as a rival if Sutter went to Edmonton.  

Sutter is awful with rookies though, solution with him will be make the team older like LA and Calgary did. Prepare for a 1 year window then rebuild if they sign that dinosaur. 

Edited by canuck73_3

He’ll get another coaching job. He wasn’t a bad coach at all. The make up of that putrid team constructed by Ken Holland is to blame for the mess they’re in. 

I can totally see him coming over to Buffalo or Ottawa if both can’t turn the ship around. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

Makes you wonder, doesn't it.

Maybe the coaches aren't the problem here.

Prospective coaches will wonder too.  

Holland is the real problem.  In 4 years, he hasn't improved the goaltending or the D much (Ekholm is the exception).  Holland over pays and the poster boy for that is Nurse who is getting $3-4M too much.  But there are others who are getting more than they should.  When you have supremely talented players, you have to pay them.  This is common knowledge and is accepted.  But on the flip side, when you're paying really big salaries, you have to be careful right down to the bottom of your line up what other players are getting paid to make it work. 

More than that, it's up to the GM to direct style of play and to have the right coaching staff to implement that.  We in Vancouver, know all about this.  The Oilers don't have much in terms of team defense.  But wait, the last 5 coaches in reverse order were Woodcroft, Tippett, Hitchcock, McLellan and Nelson.  Some of those can coach defensive systems.  And 5 coaches in 8 years, the McDavid era, are a lot of coaches.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Woodcroft had a pretty good record overall when considering last year.

Could see it coming but I think Holland should have gone first.

I read that during his tenure as head coach Woodcroft had the 5th most victories in the league. 
Seems hard to believe given their overall success. 

• Cheers 2

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/who-is-kris-knoblauch-meet-connor-mcdavid-s-former-juniors-and-new-edmonton-oilers-head-coach/ar-AA1jNRyr

"During his tenure with the Kootenay Ice and Erie Otters, Knoblauch accumulated a stellar record of 298–130–16–13. Notably, he mentored and coached star players like Connor McDavid, Alex DeBrincat, Andre Burakovsky, Connor Brown, and many more."

"While he never made it to the NHL, he made an impact throughout four seasons of junior hockey in the Western Hockey League (WHL) and five seasons with the Alberta Golden Bears."

Currently, the head coach of the Hartford Wolfpack in the AHL.  He's had great success with the lower levels.

Maybe they will surround him with a good supporting cast.  We'll see.

Don't think it'll get them in the playoffs, they'll go on a good run but they're such a poorly built team. Ekholm saved their last season after the TDL but even he's not enough defence to carry that team. They need a goalie, a defensive defenceman and a defensive-minded coach. Not sure if this new guy and Coffey quite coach that way.