[Fired] Woodcroft is done in Edmonton

Goalie29

Just now, Coconuts said:

Wonder if this is temporary or permanent, I'd have guessed Gallant but I suppose that could still be in the works. 

Gallant would blow a gasket trying to get Edmonton to play systems hockey. Only to be fired 2-3 years later.

There's something about Gallant, that he rubs the players or management or both the wrong way.

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If the Oil miss Holland will likely be done as well imo. 

Unless there an incredible turnaround, I'd say Holland is done.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Gallant would blow a gasket trying to get Edmonton to play systems hockey. Only to be fired 2-3 years later.

There's something about Gallant, that he rubs the players or management or both the wrong way.

Maybe, but teams also keep hiring him. Coaches are hired to be fired more often than not, just the way it goes. Folks are high on Tochett right now for example but he'll probably be fired eventually too, coaches have a shelf life. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Maybe, but teams also keep hiring him. Coaches are hired to be fired more often than not, just the way it goes. 

There seems more to it. Because the teams will drop him the first rough patch they hit. Like they are looking at any excuse to let him go.

I wonder if he wants more control over what type of players he wants and wants more GM duties. If he was fired like the start of Edmonton's season that makes sense.

But sometimes the team is just having a rough patch, and boom he's let go. Yet Green was coaching for years before he got turfed.

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Wonder if this is temporary or permanent, I'd have guessed Gallant but I suppose that could still be in the works. 

I would likely think it’s interm,.

I’m reading where others are blaming a “new”defensive system was more responsible for this situation,.

but if you teach it, you own it.

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

There seems more to it. Because the teams will drop him the first rough patch they hit. Like they are looking at any excuse to let him go.

I wonder if he wants more control over what type of players he wants and wants more GM duties. If he was fired like the start of Edmonton's season that makes sense.

But sometimes the team is just having a rough patch, and boom he's let go. Yet Green was coaching for years before he got turfed.

Gallant was famously fired by the Panthers and then caught fire in Vegas, which eventually lead to him being hired by a Rangers squad looking for a shake up. I think he caught the brunt of disappointing results in New York, but coaches are often the sacrificial lamb. Helped the Rags to a conference final and then got the boot after losing a seven game series to New Jersey. 

He's helped both Vegas and New York go deep before being knocked out in the first round after a seven game series twice now. Vegas wanted to chase cups, they eventually got one, whereas the Rags top talent is prime aged and ain't getting any younger. Clock is ticking. The Canucks were a middling squad at best under Green, I think the expectations were different because we were trying to climb out of a not-rebuild. 

If Gallant gets hired again I do think it'll be a competitive team that comes calling, which may actually be why he doesn't end up in Edmonton. It may be a little too late for anyone to turn their season around if the players aren't scoring or keeping pucks out of their net.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1