[Fired] Woodcroft is done in Edmonton

Goalie29

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I don't think coaching is the problem, time for a new management team. This is an attempt to mask bigger issues in the team chemistry, whic is a failure by Holland.

They won last night, but McDavid etc, was not the one who led them to victory, it was more of their supporting cast.

Is it Holland didn't do enough? Or was there too much damage from Chia?

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Is it Holland didn't do enough? Or was there too much damage from Chia?

In four years as GM the only defenceman Holland has acquired in trade who is still with the team is Brett Kulak. He has stuck with Stuart Skinner in goal after seasons with Mike Smith, Mikko Koskinen and Jack Campbell not getting the job done. He has traded away defencemen Ethan Bear, Caleb Jones, John Marino and nobody acquired in trade, other than Kulak, are with the Oilers today. Holland's failure breaks down into three parts: 1) he's not acquired a steady, number one goalie; 2) he has not built a strong core of defencemen; and 3) the only Holland-drafted players to play 60 or more games are Dylan Holloway (64GP 6G 4A) and Philip Broberg (77GP 2G 7A). And they don't appear to have much in the way of surefire NHLers in their farm system. Woodcroft was not a bad coach and I'm sure he'll get another NHL job at some point. Meanwhile, the whole Oilers team seems to revolve around McDavid and if Connor is unhappy, then nobody can be happy. Edmonton won one more Cup after they traded away Gretzky; maybe the only way to save the Oilers is to trade McDavid for five or six players and/or picks and/or prospects. 

There's one other player (Crosby) in this century who is arguably better than McDavid. Edmonton has squandered this guy's prime. It's possible, if the NHL doesn't return to the Olympics, that he's going to have nothing to show for team hardware when he retires. Individual awards are great, but none of them matter as much as the Cup or, imo, a Gold at the Olympics.

3 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

I believe Darryl Sutter was a big reason why none of the Flames wanted to sign extensions last year.  Even after he was gone, it had left such a sour memory for the players.

https://thewincolumn.ca/2023/06/16/report-calgary-flames-launched-internal-investigation-into-darryl-sutters-last-season/

You're right.  Sutter is done.

2 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Am I the only one who feels McDavid's prime years are being wasted in Edmonton. It's not McDavid's fault the team lacks defense and goaltending. 

Definitely not the only one.

That being said he is part of the problem. When your leader fails to adapt his game to the way the coach wants his players to play then it’s on him too.

The pandering from ownership isn’t helping either…I mean hiring his agent and his former junior coach? Come on!

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

Makes you wonder, doesn't it.

Maybe the coaches aren't the problem here.

Wow! Watching some of the Coilers game last night, I saw Draistl literally give up on a play after he muffed his shot. The commentators made every excuse imaginable for him. He wasn't ready...

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Definitely not the only one.

That being said he is part of the problem. When your leader fails to adapt his game to the way the coach wants his players to play then it’s on him too.

The pandering from ownership isn’t helping either…I mean hiring his agent and his former junior coach? Come on!

It's easier to solve a problem by sacking a coach than solving the McDavid problem. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1