[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Montreal Canadiens // November 12, 2023

Rubik

28 minutes ago, JamesB said:

1. The performance of the Suter line is what jumped out at me in the advanced stats. Garland had a great game and deserved his 2 pts as he has been playing well. Joshua was also very good tonight and Suter has been playing well for a while. Suddenly the Canucks have a good "top 9" ground instead of the traditional "top 6 - bottom 6". And the 4th line has also been chipping in and should get better with Blueger back in.

2. Speaking of Blueger, he was ok tonight  but not great, as would expect after a fairly long injury layoff. He will help the team.

3. Hughes played 28 minutes tonight and was excellent-reasserting himself as the top D in the league after a disappointing game in Toronto.

4. In the advanced stats, (Natural Stat Trick and Hockey Stat Cards), Hughes, Garland, Joshua, Boeser and Myers (!) look good.

5. The big concern is the injury to Soucy. When both Myers and Soucy were hurt on the same shift in the 2nd period things were not looking good. Fortunately, Myers was able to come back and play well and Hughes was great.

6. So what about Juulsen? If he was going to get a shot, tonight's game had to be it. He wasn't terrible but it would be hard to say he was good. He made a couple of mistakes that led to Montreal high danger chances. And his penalty on the PK, leading to a 2-man advantage, is what allowed Montreal to get on the scoreboard. It wasn't intentional (a high stick) but it showed a lack of situational awareness and that is one of Juulsen's biggest weaknesses. I like him and I am pulling for him but we don't want him to play too often. All in favor of signing Bear if we can clear cap space.

7. As for Soucy, hope he is ok. If not, looks like Wolanin gets his shot.

8. Petey and Kuzy are not looking great, but Mikheyev had a nice goal and is generally looking good.

9. DeSmith continues to be excellent. Great trade to bring him in.

Bottom line: Excellent bounce-back performance to finish a tough eastern road trip (3 games in 4 nights) with a winning record (2 out of 3).

Much appreciated summary, as always, thank you. Petey is a bit concerning now, looks like he is a bit off his game now . DeSmith is a fantastic trade for us.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

Lol this is a post game thread you clown. Every comment is up for discussion.

If you don't want people chiming in then private message someone.

Don't call me a clown just because I told you 'end of story.' 

You want to discuss a possible trade or any other trade for a D, go do it there. 

Don't try to drag me into your shit. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Kragar said:

What about the game before, or the one before that, or the one before that, or...

Myers has been quite good since RT talked to him about his shaky play earlier this year.

If he struggles again, then he can sit.  But there is zero reason to sit him now.  That would send a terrible message.

He does good if he stays in his quarter of the ice. His coaches have taught him good. Keep it simple.

• Cheers 2

51 minutes ago, snowman955 said:

Not missed a game in years. He doesnt have it anymore.

Not disagreeing about his latest game. I just believe it's time for the bench for a bit.

Yes you can say l have nothing left for him. His history dictates that.

so basically you agree he's playing well in his latest games but you want to bench him or put him in the pressbox regardless because you don't like him?

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

I'm saying having offside reviews for plays that are so marginally offside or for plays that happened WELL before the scoring play is ridiculous.   Tell me you've never been passed off when a Canucks goal got disallowed because the play was JUST barely offside 

They HAVE to be able to call back the close ones just as much as the obvious ones. The line is the line is the line. I understand your position and dislike for it but there's no acceptable alternative. To satisfy your point, you'd need to suggest what they should or shouldn't call instead and there can be no gray area where something as basic as an offside is concerned. It's likely the simplest call to get right thanks to the technology we have.

3 hours ago, Shekky said:

1:14... 'despite having a couple players who are only just now learning how to skate" lmfao

1 hour ago, snowman955 said:

What l am confused about is why Friedman? 

He is pesky ,has snarl doesn't back down.

Yet RT keeps the🦒 in for constantly screwing up. He has lost his game , plus, out of position more than anyone else.

I see no logic to this!

Juulsen played parts of a couple seasons for Mtl so it was (at least partly) a classy coaches decision by Toc. EDIT - Oh and, as illustrated by other posts, your Myers take is miles off. I was gonna ask what games you've been watching but others beat me to it

1 hour ago, Breadnbutta said:

Lol this is a post game thread you clown. Every comment is up for discussion.

If you don't want people chiming in then private message someone.

I think one of you misquoted the other there or something at some point before the knives came out. Put it behind ya. Just a game. Blah blah bla

GCG!!

Edited by Steamer4GM
Missed a bit about Myers
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Barnstorm said:

Something really satisfying about seeing the standings. It’s like hard copy confirmation that life is good. I can look at over and over. 

Me too; "JFL" as the sweet old lady next door used to say.

Shits & Giggles:

- The Vancouver Canucks, in only 15 games played, the same number of games as the Seattle Kraken, are a whopping 10 points ahead of them.

- The Vancouver Canucks have almost twice as many points as Minnesota, twice as many points as Chicago, Nashville, and Calgary, three times as many points as Edmonton, and a whopping almost 5 times as many points as San Jose!

• Like 1