[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Montreal Canadiens // November 12, 2023

Rubik

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Id rather have the offsides, which is or isn't, called back than goalie interference, which is subjective even on replay.

I'd like to see them improve the tech and utilize AI to improve the process.......same with pucks crossing the goal line

What really stirs me up is last night that was an obvious offside, an easy one to overturn. Yet the linesman who was 8 ft away from the player way offside didn't whistle it down. I mean I get the really close ones, but it just goes to show how often the refs still get it wrong. When the linesman is standing on the blue line, the one job they have is to watch for offside, then the player is offside by a whole foot, only 8ft away and they don't see it! This game will never be perfect because it's just impossible to get it right.

Fans will always be frustrated on both sides.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

What really stirs me up is last night that was an obvious offside, an easy one to overturn. Yet the linesman who was 8 ft away from the player way offside didn't whistle it down. I mean I get the really close ones, but it just goes to show how often the refs still get it wrong. When the linesman is standing on the blue line, the one job they have is to watch for offside, then the player is offside by a whole foot, only 8ft away and they don't see it! This game will never be perfect because it's just impossible to get it right.

Fans will always be frustrated on both sides.

Yup. Only the Haberdoodle fans are whining about that call. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Microchip

Get all of it cleared instantly,  no reviews at all. Goal lines too.

Not sure how that would work for offside, since it's the puck AND any part of the player (including skate blade) that are involved in the call.  But I think they can make it work for goals, and that would be awesome.

As an alternative, perhaps the league could auto-review each offside as they happen instead of waiting until the play stops, occasionally in time before the offside team scores

But, I'm not terribly against the current process (putting aside my penalties comment earlier).  I don't think it happens enough to be nuisance, especially with the penalty thrown in as a consequence of a failed challenge.

2 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Not sure how that would work for offside, since it's the puck AND any part of the player (including skate blade) that are involved in the call.  But I think they can make it work for goals, and that would be awesome.

As an alternative, perhaps the league could auto-review each offside as they happen instead of waiting until the play stops, occasionally in time before the offside team scores

But, I'm not terribly against the current process (putting aside my penalties comment earlier).  I don't think it happens enough to be nuisance, especially with the penalty thrown in as a consequence of a failed challenge.

I think there's got to be an AI solution in there somewhere

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, snowman955 said:

Not missed a game in years. He doesnt have it anymore.

Not disagreeing about his latest game. I just believe it's time for the bench for a bit.

Yes you can say l have nothing left for him. His history dictates that.

I’d sooner play guys that give us the best chance to win than sit players because of things they did wrong in the past. 
Do we have some stockpile of better defensemen than Myers right now? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Goal_thecup said:

In order to view CFF properly, you have to learn to differentiate between the two main categories of members:

1. The dejected losers who see the sky about to fall etc, and think they know everything.

2. The hockey intelligentsia that actually do know all, see all, and enjoy themselves all the time.

Choose carefully, which do you fit into?

But don't worry, we've still got lots of room on the wagon if you see the light.

bandwagon-jump-on-the-bandwagon.gifget-with-the-sign-five

I've been watching this team much tooooooo long to be either...

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Id rather have the offsides, which is or isn't, called back than goalie interference, which is subjective even on replay.

I'd like to see them improve the tech and utilize AI to improve the process.......same with pucks crossing the goal line

Yeh agree 100%, anything that can speed the process up... and then if they think there is n issue with the AI call, they can challenge similar to now... 

21 minutes ago, Kragar said:

If AI is looking at video, works for me.  Assuming AI is a capital i and not a small L.  Otherwise:

image.png.e3979938813986d935312d2ce8885928.png

Remember when Al Bundy talked about scoring 4 touchdowns in one game for Polk High?  In a weird twist of fate, there's actually *IS* the off chance that happened in real life!

And in typical Al Bundy style, he hit Roger Staubach in a college game:

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Ducklover said:

If we can't afford Desmith for another year perhaps trade him at the deadline, to someone willing to sign him, rather than let him become a UFA. That way we can ensure Edmonton doesn't get him. Muhahah !

Haha I like your plan of keeping any decent goalie away from Edmonton. 

On the subject of DeSmith, we will have enough money to give him a small raise this summer. 

He's gonna be the 4th most important item this summer for me. 

1. Petey 

2. Hronek 

3. Cole 

4. DeSmith  

It would sure be nice to knock out a couple of these deals early. I wouldn't be shocked to see Hronek re-sign first for a cool 7x7 deal. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, MattJVD said:

Loved Miller passing the EN goal to Phill DG. He had an angle, could have easily shot it himself but wants his line mate to get rewarded with some points.

Was actually going to mention that as well... now that screams team mate to me.... PDG does a lot of donkey work on that line, and it's great to see him rewarded. He was possibly in a better position for the EN, but yes a more selfish player would have take the accolades himself... the team is rolling and they are buying into it. Magic...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, JamesB said:

Arguing about perceptions is usually pointless. People see what they see.

But it is possible to look at numbers.

Petey is having a great season. And tonight he made some great plays, as he always does.  And he always looks dangerous on the PP. But, to me, his overall game tonight did not look as good as it usually does and the numbers bear that out.

Here are a few things to consider:

1. Using the Natural Stat Trick expected goals numbers, Petey had a negative differential (expected goals against exceed expected goals for). The "scoring chances" stat at 5-on-5 was 6 for and 11 against. And Petey's line had easier deployment than the Miller line.

2. I think that Tocchet saw things the same way. Petey played only 12:47 at 5-5, quite a bit less than Miller and less than Blueger (and just slighter more than Suter). Tocc also relied heavily on Miller in key situations. Petey took only 5 face-offs and none of them were D-zone faceoffs. Miller took 18 faceoffs, including 5 D-zone faceoffs. Miller always takes more faceoffs and gets tougher minutes, but tonight's differential is unusually large.

We all like Petey, but the rumours that he is less than 100% look credible to me.

He looks 75%, Hughes seems also off a little, he struggled vs the Leafs as did Demko. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1