[Report] Canucks waive Studnicka

2 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

To me Wolanin seems to be the right call up.To me I wouldn't be shocked if it was Hirose.Wolanin has had many chances yet never stuck,so why not give Hirose the chance.He might surprise and stick.

I mean he was a +5 in 16 games with us last year. I'm not sure what else you could expect from a depth dman. At the moment it doesn't look like Hirose is playing better than Wolanin in the AHL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AK-19 said:

I mean he was a +5 in 16 games with us last year. I'm not sure what else you could expect from a depth dman. At the moment it doesn't look like Hirose is playing better than Wolanin in the AHL.

I know that but development is key and making a player NHL ready sometimes you need to give them a push.

This could be it but we will see.

Call up should be Hirose over Wolanin.

Wolanin has a bit of a Nikolay Goldobin thing going imo. An absolute monster in American league but never able to make it work in the National. Maybe the new coaches and structured play have helped him over the last year or so, but Hirose was cool as a cucumber last year. Although I haven't studied their play in any real depth this year so maybe I'm wrong there.

But Hirose gets my vote at this point.

Edited by Juice
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Bobby Lou said:

I might be in the minority or get ostracized but I see potential in Jewels as a 6/7 D ceiling

For the immediate future, he doesn't have much competition ahead of him at RD.

Hronek oc, Friedman, Myers, ... jeez that right side is dismal after Hronek.

I'm hopeful Foote and Gonchar can help him reach that ceiling.

Why not?  Everything else seems to be working.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Bobby Lou said:

I might be in the minority or get ostracized but I see potential in Jewels as a 6/7 D ceiling

He sat out for weeks and came in and played solid enough. That's exactly the kinda of guy you want as a 7D. I'm a fan, even after him being horrible to start the year.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Goal_thecup said:

For the immediate future, he doesn't have much competition ahead of him at RD.

Hronek oc, Friedman, Myers, ... jeez that right side is dismal after Hronek.

I'm hopeful Foote and Gonchar can help him reach that ceiling.

Why not?  Everything else seems to be working.

In fairness Myers and Friedman have been playing really well and holding down the fort on the right side, but I agree, its not likely to last and boy is it thin after them. Friedman would ideally be suited to 7d that can come in with injuries or the odd game and play well. Juulsen can go wherever and not return. That second pairing RD is really the one glaring weak spot on this team that has so far been covered, but any injuries there and we're toast. Can you imagine a Hronek injury and we have to run Friedman, Myers and Juulsen.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, stawns said:

doubtful, he's been nothing special in Abby so far.  Good, but not NHL good, imo.  Gotta be Wolanin.

Why do you say that? Is there something about his game where he couldn’t play at the NHL level? Wolanin seems to be a career AHL player. Hes already 28 years old. 

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Why do you say that? Is there something about his game where he couldn’t play at the NHL level? Wolanin seems to be a career AHL player. Hes already 28 years old. 

Well, wolanin was the ahl Dman of the year last season and is a PPG player this season so far.......hirose has been ok defensively, but has to register a point in 11 games despite being on a first place team.

Obviously points aren't the main metric to judge a dman by, but you'd want to see production if he were next in line to be called up.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Well, wolanin was the ahl Dman of the year last season and is a PPG player this season so far.......hirose has been ok defensively, but has to register a point in 11 games despite being on a first place team.

Obviously points aren't the main metric to judge a dman by, but you'd want to see production if he were next in line to be called up.

Offense isn't really what we need from a call up.

• Cheers 1