Bedard better than McDavid ?

Blue

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

There's a difference between being a star and considered generational, which is a tag thrown around far too loosely. Crosby and Ovechkin are two of the most talented and decorated NHL players of all time, McDavid has piled up personal awards, Bedard has had a great start but hasn't accomplished anything comparable yet. I don't think there's anything wrong with folks wanting to be patient or pragmatic before proclaiming him as an all-time great. 

If he wants to be considered a top tier NHL forward he needs to get there first, he hasn't even played twenty games. Fantastic start, sure, but it's not even twenty games. 

Do you agree though that the treatment Bedard is getting is somewhat contradictory to the way Mcdavid was treated before he played?

This is the kind of stuff going around during prime cup winning Crosby's days. Dated November 2013. 

McDavid-sportsnet-magazine.jpg

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Do you agree though that the treatment Bedard is getting is somewhat contradictory to the way Mcdavid was treated before he played?

This is the kind of stuff going around during prime cup winning Crosby's days. Dated November 2013. 

Sports media is always going to sports media, this isn't unique to hockey. Sports is a business, sports media is a business, it's all money driven. Folks will write what gets clicks, sells magazines, what generates interest or profit. Did Crosby, McDavid, Bedard and so on deserve to be hyped? Sure. Lot of players have put up huge numbers in various minor leagues. I don't know about you, but I'm under the impression Bedard has gotten plenty of media attention. 

But if we're talking NHL, I'd rather wait and see. Crosby wasn't a generational NHL forward until he stepped in and proved it over the course of his career. McDavid was super hyped, I can look back at what he's accomplished now though. If you want to believe Bedard will be better than McDavid, go for it, but I'm of the opinion that he needs to actually do it at the NHL level first. 

Results are what matter at the end of the day, let's see what Bedard accomplishes over his first few NHL seasons. More than likely he'll be a star, possibly even a superstar. But generational? I dunno, we'll see. 

Bedard is very hyped, very talented, and seemingly very humble. He's definitely got a shot at being something special, we'll see how he does. It's a shame he's a Blackhawk though. 

8 minutes ago, Blue said:

His hockey IQ is within 10% of Crosby and he has a better shot than Crosby. His athletisism is right there with Crosby too

Bedard's lateral skating, backhand and lower body strength do not come close to Crosby.  #87 has the best puck control in the game and the only way to defend against him is to cover the passes.

Bedard's acceleration, stickhandling and upper body strength do not come close to McDavid.  #97 has the best explosiveness in the game and the only way to defend him is to time your check perfectly.

The only thing Bedard has over the others is his wrist shot.  That's it.  It's a lethal weapon to have and his release is lightning quick. 

Don't give me this "he's only 18" crap.  You wanted a direct comparison between them and you are getting one.  The NHL is all about scoring when there isn't any space.  Crosby loves playing without space.  McDavid creates his own space.  Bedard is getting there but he needs TIME.

^ Yeah. Bedard got hyped indeed. But there is a disconnect between hard core hockey fans and the general public this time. And i  is evident in this thread too. 

Maybe it was Mcdavids 150 point season. And there was some talk about Bedards size. I'm not buying that at at either. Size is not an issue in today's NHL. And even if it was , Bedard is just on the bubble size wise 

8 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Bedard's lateral skating, backhand and lower body strength do not come close to Crosby.  #87 has the best puck control in the game and the only way to defend against him is to cover the passes.

Bedard's acceleration, stickhandling and upper body strength do not come close to McDavid.  #97 has the best explosiveness in the game and the only way to defend him is to time your check perfectly.

The only thing Bedard has over the others is his wrist shot.  That's it.  It's a lethal weapon to have and his release is lightning quick. 

Don't give me this "he's only 18" crap.  You wanted a direct comparison between them and you are getting one.  The NHL is all about scoring when there isn't any space.  Crosby loves playing without space.  McDavid creates his own space.  Bedard is getting there but he needs TIME.

Bedard had more ppg in the WHL than Mcd had in the OHL. And had worse teammates. And it's a more physical league full of nasty farm boys. 

You say.....?

Edited by Blue

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

No, why would you make conclusions for me? I have watched Bedard play. Hes great, but not out of this world like McDavid/Crosby was in their prime. For McDavid and Crosby, you can name why they are so successful and out of this league. There's nothing out of this league with Bedard I can name right now. 

Keep in mind, Bedard is only 18. 

He's clearly just starting to find his comfort zone and will only get better. 

McDavid was 19 in his rookie season. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Blue said:

That's a Cosmopolitan headline. Which by the way, they have some of the best copywriters anywhere. 

Doesn't make it true, though. But I get your point. 

In the end, who gives a shit. Let Bedard play his game and we'll all find out just how good this kid is. 

I called Bedard a generational talent back when at the "Tank" threads were flying around. I stick with that assessment.

He's the best player to come along since McDavid and McDavid was the best player to come along since Sid.

That being said, it's way too early to say CB is "better" than CM. (or SC, for that matter) Bedard seems to have great instincts and is a great shooter. That will take him a long way in this league, even if he is on the small side.

McDavid generates everything through his skating ability. I don't really care about who wins the fastest skater and the All-Star Skills competition, nobody carries the puck into the offensive zone with the speed and control that McDavid does and I don't think anyone ever has. People on CDC like to throw shade at him for "not making the players around him better", but I disagree. Defenders are forced to back up more quickly when CM is carrying the puck into the O-Zone, or they're going to get danced. This has to open up more space for his line mates.

It's my belief that McDavid is still hampered by that oblique injury and it's partially nullifying his biggest advantage over the rest of the league. This is the only thing that makes "who's the best" even a topic of conversation.

If and when McDavid returns to being completely healthy, I don't think there will even be a debate.....

....Yet....

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Bedard had more ppg in the WHL than Mcd had in the OHL. And had worse teammates. And it's a more physical league full of nasty farm boys. 

You say.....?

Why are you talking as if Bedard hasn't been drafted yet?  We have already seen him play NHL games.  Rookie Crosby was making a bigger impact than Bedard at this point in the season.

I feel like you are either too young to have watched Crosby as a rookie or you are too old to remember.  It was 18 years ago.

I started a less strongly worded thread on this topic at HF Boards. Some posters said I should be banned for comparing Bedard for Mcdavid. The thread was eventually closed and labeled trolling by some pathetic HF mod. 

How dare we compare a Bedard , who bested Mcdavid in junior , to Mcdavid. 

https://forums.hfboards.com/threads/bedard-vs-mcdavid-now-in-future.2946828/

If you haven't seen the hype around Bedard then you've been living under a rock. The questions about whether he's better than McDavid were absolutely happening during his draft year. However, last season McDavid accomplished something only 5 other people in the history of the game have accomplished in scoring 150+ points. This changed the narrative from "he might be better than" to "let's see if he can be as good as."

Bedard has seen a similar amount of hype as Crosby, Ovechkin, and McDavid did. However, all had to prove it. Crosby and Ovechkin did by both putting up 100+ points their rookie seasons and Ovechkin scoring over 50 goals. People actually slowed down on McDavid hype during his rookie season when he got injured and was also just hovering around 1PPG. However, in his sophomore year McDavid took home the Art Ross, Hart, and Ted Lindsay trophies renewing his hype.

Bedard is off to a solid start, and has been hyped almost beyond compare, but just like those three previous generational talents he now has to prove it.

Edited by Diamonds

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Why are you talking as if Bedard hasn't been drafted yet?  We have already seen him play NHL games.  Rookie Crosby was making a bigger impact than Bedard at this point in the season.

I feel like you are either too young to have watched Crosby as a rookie or you are too old to remember.  It was 18 years ago.

You say we have to wait and see. Yet their junior careers are over and Bedard BEAT Mcdavid. 

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

You say we have to wait and see. Yet their junior careers are over and Bedard BEAT Mcdavid. 

Did you just wake up from a coma?  The regular season is already underway.  Bedard's junior campaign is LONG over.  Watch the NHL and see if he can do something Crosby and McDavid could not - win Rookie of the Year.

2 hours ago, Diamonds said:

If you haven't seen the hype around Bedard then you've been living under a rock. The questions about whether he's better than McDavid were absolutely happening during his draft year. However, last season McDavid accomplished something only 5 other people in the history of the game have accomplished in scoring 150+ points. This changed the narrative from "he might be better than" to "let's see if he can be as good as."

Bedard has seen a similar amount of hype as Crosby, Ovechkin, and McDavid did. However, all had to prove it. Crosby and Ovechkin did by both putting up 100+ points their rookie seasons and Ovechkin scoring over 50 goals. People actually slowed down on McDavid hype during his rookie season when he got injured and was also just hovering around 1PPG. However, in his sophomore year McDavid took home the Art Ross, Hart, and Ted Lindsay trophies renewing his hype.

Bedard is off to a solid start, and has been hyped almost beyond compare, but just like those three previous generational talents he now has to prove it.

There was huge hype for Bedard. There still is. But there is a big disconnect between that hype and hardcore fans. Some hardcore fans (a majority as far as I can tell) think it is disrespectful and trolling to even compare Bedard to McDavid. Yet comparing McDavid to Crosby was all the rage in 2013/14. 

Crosby and McDavid were basically declared hall of famers before they started their careers. And it is only consistent if Bedard is also. 

It is 99%+ likely he'll make the hall of fame. Hall of fame isn't exactly a super high bar...do you disagree? Barring career ending injuries, he'll be a hall of famer for sure.

I would have said the same thing of Crosby or McDavid in their rookie year, 99%+ likely they turn into hall of famers.

McD is a hilite reel, but that's about it. I question his leadership and his ability to lead a team by example. By example I mean playing the game the right way, see Crosby. McD to me has always been overrated as a hockey player and I'd be shocked if he ever wins a cup as the centerpiece of a team.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, -AJ- said:

It's possible that Lafreneire's slow start has people hesitant. I also thought he'd be at least a superstar player, akin to Stamkos or MacKinnon level, but he's been pretty far from that so far (though he's started better this year).

Not every player has a linear development path. Bottom line is wait and see.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rekker said:

McD is a hilite reel, but that's about it. I question his leadership and his ability to lead a team by example. By example I mean playing the game the right way, see Crosby. McD to me has always been overrated as a hockey player and I'd be shocked if he ever wins a cup as the centerpiece of a team.

Screenshot_20231114_205833_Facebook.jpg

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Rekker said:

His highlights almost always show him on the rush and the second the puck is gone , he's gliding and puck watching.

The lack of team success by year #8 in the league doesn't get talked about enough. Yes they won some rounds. But with his pedigree and with Draisitle, they should be able to win presidents trophies 

• Upvote 1

On 11/14/2023 at 9:13 AM, Drakrami said:

Do you think Bedard have higher hockey IQ than Crosby?  (Dont even need to mention Gretzky) I think not. 

It's too early to tell. If you think Crosby will always be better than Bedard in terms of hockey IQ only after a month of Bedard playing... well let's just say you could easily be eating those words in a few years. There's at least that chance.

Your statement here is no different than the ones saying Bedard will be better. It just happens to be on the other side. It's just a hypothesis and the facts will come in time that may prove or disprove that hypothesis.

Edited by The Lock