Bedard better than McDavid ?

Blue

On 11/14/2023 at 12:06 PM, Blue said:

You say we have to wait and see. Yet their junior careers are over and Bedard BEAT Mcdavid. 

Imo, Bedard is far more comparable to McD than Crosby.  McD has an edge in skating and physical

size, but I think Bedard will put up even more points as he gets better linemates.

I notice that in his draft year, his linemates were 3rd rounders + undrafted players.  As and 18yr old
in the NHL, (like Sid) there isn't a player that supports his scoring output.  Unlike McD, who had

Drysaddle and Hall.

I wouldn't compare Bedard to Sid just yet, as I don't see anything that reminds me of Crosby's over

all game and leadership.  Connor will develop his leadership over time, but I can't seem him being

as physically aggressive and defensive as Sid, who played that way during his junior years.

• 1 month later...
On 11/14/2023 at 8:11 AM, -AJ- said:

Bedard and McDavid played in different eras, so their scoring isn't purely comparable.

That said, it's too early to say. I predicted 100 points for him at one point (ended up settling at 87) for a rookie year, and a lot of people thought I was crazy, saying Chicago was too bad. I do think he could be a generational talent for sure, but let's wait until more than 20 career games before saying he's gonna be one of the greatest of all-time.

Huh?

Bedard and Gretzky played in different Eras.

Bedard and McDavid are in the current era.

19 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Huh?

Bedard and Gretzky played in different Eras.

Bedard and McDavid are in the current era.

2015 (When McDavid started) was drastically different than today's game. Huge difference in scoring:

image.png.5944021e3b2b66ea38792e38b88d1578.png

Top 5 scorers in 2015-16:

image.png.72d9a9f7c5887cac8566ec9df49b7530.png

Top 5 scorers in 2022-23:

image.png.7c799ba026a57c38c0b199b43a6cbdad.png

You can compare them on equal footing today, but their rookie years were in decidedly different leagues.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

2015 (When McDavid started) was drastically different than today's game. Huge difference in scoring:

image.png.5944021e3b2b66ea38792e38b88d1578.png

Top 5 scorers in 2015-16:

image.png.72d9a9f7c5887cac8566ec9df49b7530.png

Top 5 scorers in 2022-23:

image.png.7c799ba026a57c38c0b199b43a6cbdad.png

You can compare them on equal footing today, but their rookie years were in decidedly different leagues.

And how many 1st picks did McDavid have playing with him compared to Bedard this season?

10 minutes ago, Heretic said:

And how many 1st picks did McDavid have playing with him compared to Bedard this season?

The Oilers finished 2nd last in the NHL in 2015-16. I assume you aren't trying to make the case that the Oilers were substantially better than the Hawks this year.

Frankly, I'm not even sure what you're trying to argue. Are you making a case that Bedard is better than McDavid?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

The Oilers finished 2nd last in the NHL in 2015-16. I assume you aren't trying to make the case that the Oilers were substantially better than the Hawks this year.

Frankly, I'm not even sure what you're trying to argue. Are you making a case that Bedard is better than McDavid?

McDavid had Draisaitl, RNH, Eberle and a young Taylor Hall to play with in his rookie year. Bedard has Foligno and Beauvillier and an over the hill Hall. Big difference IMO. 

Interestingly, both have gotten injured in their rookie years. McDavid missed almost half the season and lost the Calder. Bedard might miss 2 months and also lose the Calder. 

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

McDavid had Draisaitl, RNH, Eberle and a young Taylor Hall to play with in his rookie year. Bedard has Foligno and Beauvillier and an over the hill Hall. Big difference IMO. 

Interestingly, both have gotten injured in their rookie years. McDavid missed almost half the season and lost the Calder. Bedard might miss 2 months and also lose the Calder. 

Sure, but those guys, aside from Hall, weren't what they are today. Draisaitl had 51 points in 72 games and RNH had 34 points in 55 games. Both were probably 2nd line players at the time. We're not talking about 1st line superstars like they are today.

Nonetheless, I will concede, that at least by a little, McDavid had more offensive support than Bedard does today. The 2015-16 Oilers finished 25th of 30 teams with 2.43 goals per game. The Blackhawks are currently 30th of 32 teams at 2.31 goals per game. In some sense, that low scoring from the Hawks is even more remarkably bad when you consider how much easier it is to score in today's game.

I always felt like McDavid deserved the Calder in his rookie year despite missing so many games, as he was very clearly the best player. Although Bedard is definitely the best player in this year's rookie class, I do feel like the race might be close enough to more easily justify other guys winning the Calder. Woll and Luke Hughes both stand out as other great options.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

No, I'm saying they play in the same era.  

59 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Too bad Devils don’t play the Hawks again this season.

It was a clean hit.  The words of the Chicago coach himself - Smith slowed down, and Bedard just kinda ran right into him headfirst.  On top of that, Smith answered the bell twice, after the hit and then in a clean tilt later on.

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

It was a clean hit.  The words of the Chicago coach himself - Smith slowed down, and Bedard just kinda ran right into him headfirst.  On top of that, Smith answered the bell twice, after the hit and then in a clean tilt later on.

Yes it was but they didn’t know he’d be out with a broken jaw, would still make for an entertaining game.