[GDT] - November 15th 2023 - Canucks vs Islanders @ Rogers Arena - 7:00 PM PDT - SNP, AM650 - Bo-o Horvat Edition

JoGuitar

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Rumour was the offer we made to Fat Wallet was 49 mil (7x7). Thank goodness he said no. We dumperooed a problem (Fat Wallet is a 3C here) and turned him into an elite right shot D who was only 25. 
We won this trade. And it could have been so much worse if we kept Fat Wallet. We should all be thankful Fat Wallet said no to that 49 million. 

If we could of managed that,  we'd have a ridiculously deadly 3 lines...No Hronek though so things likely would be problematic for QHs and Demko.   In the end it worked out well for both teams and Horvat.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

That’s how you do it.

I’m sure that there will be a short tribute for Bo and we can applaud his past efforts for the team.

When the puck drops, that’s another story. If Bo sticks A Canuck then I’ll boo. Otherwise he’s just another guy wearing the wrong uniform.

We celebrate the short tribute with a win against the Islanders. 

Edited by AlwaysACanuckFan
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 2

11 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Bo's era in Vancouver had many forces at work. As captain he was the beacon that Van fans focused on. IMHO Canuck fans of the era were always looking for the next savior would deliver the team to CUP play. Pretty much incidental if that team were truly CUP competitive or not. So not only did Bo have to play thru his own periodic 'dry' spells but had to answer for his team mates as well. As much as he could he tried to protect/shelter the younger players like Petey and Hughes. He had to deal with a management/owner who reflected the aspirations of the fans more than fundamental team building. 9 years is a long time. 

So I hope Bo Horvat is applauded when they show his video tribute. That would be a classy thing to do. Maybe fans expected more but that is more on the fans than Bo Horvat. On the ice he did his best and was better than most. If nothing else Rick Tocchet has shown us that the game has multiple levels of responsibility. Success does not come down to one player no matter the fan expectation.   

Personally had very few expectations during his era.   The writing was on the wall.   Knew it was going to be a decade, maybe even two, before we'd see another cup contending team.   So was just enjoying the process, and really enjoyed the bubble.    Hilarious the expectations under Green were so high.   This team to me, would have been better off or on par, with expansion under the old rules (think CLB).    So don't include me at least as a fan who had those unrealistic expectations.   And well, i'd have preferred a Rick Nash, Dany Healtey or Kovulchuck over just a Horvat to start the process.      

Edit:  And yes for sure the fans should applaud Horvat.    And be classy.   At the same time if some boo birds come out while he touches the puck, that's ok too.   I wouldn't boo him personally.   But maybe i'd hackle him - try and throw him off his game.   "Miller's your Daddy!"   - "Hughes misses your bedtime! - Needs an hug!" after losing a draw "Hey I thought you were Good at faceoffs!".   Stuff like that.  I'd also ask him for an autograph during the warm -up and be persistent and thank him for his time with us and make him feel welcome.  Then say "you should have given me the autograph - Will say that for free!". 

So he knows who's heckling him before the game.   Horvat was a good player for us, we can welcome him back and then tease him all we want at the same time. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

12 hours ago, Power-Forward said:

“Former teammate”, and this isn’t about me.  They most likely aren’t friends now.  That’s the way business works sometimes. 

So in your mind, a player gives up all his friends every time a trade is made? I think you are projecting there. And anybody who thinks it is appropriate to boo him is demonstrating a clear lack of class.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 3

39 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

It's sports.....jeering, trash talking is part of the FUN of being opponents. It doesn't have to be angry spirited....it's just how it is.

OUR former captain is different. I don't boo, period. 

With that, I think if people were to boo it would reflect badly in the team's eyes....to see the fans turn on a former player. We want players to want to play here....I don't know that booing after they've left lines up with that. We're better than that. Let's pretend Bo doesn't exist and focus on OUR team and cheering them on. Make Bo irrelevant.

OOOOOO Deb.To pretend he doesn't  exist is so much more mean.If you ask Bo ,he would tell you,Booo please Booo

• Haha 1

It barely made sense to boo Kesler (all things considered), and it makes even less sense now to potentially boo Horvat.

There will be a time in the future when we can debate his leadership and comb through his tenure as the captain, but as far as I'm concerned, he doesn't warrant a negative response during the game, at this moment

He put up with lot of poor decision-making that was out of his control, and never hid from responsibilities and duties as the captain.  I mean, the talk of this team for the past week has been centered around how disjoined and chaotic the management has been since 2014, so why anybody could possibly point fingers to him is being needlessly and unfairly critical.  Also, the fact that new management chose to commit to Miller over him is not something to chastise him for, either.

Give him his tribute video during one of the stoppages of play and then win the game.  Simple as.

Just now, SV. said:

It barely made sense to boo Kesler (all things considered), and it makes even less sense now to potentially boo Horvat.

There will be a time in the future when we can debate his leadership and comb through his tenure as the captain, but as far as I'm concerned, he doesn't warrant a negative response during the game, at this moment

He put up with lot of poor decision-making that was out of his control, and never hid from responsibilities and duties as the captain.  I mean, the talk of this team for the past week has been centered around how disjoined and chaotic the management has been since 2014, so why anybody could possibly point fingers to him is being needlessly and unfairly critical.  Also, the fact that new management chose to commit to Miller over him is not something to chastise him for, either.

Give him his tribute video during one of the stoppages of play and then win the game.  Simple as.

Of course, also enjoy the evening's festivities, as well 🙂

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I wouldn't worry much people. The fans won't boo Horvat. The atmosphere isn't conducive to booing when the big screen is paying tribute. 

Look at Kesler, he absolutely ham strung the team with his trade request and left on bad terms, and nobody boo'd him.

It's all good. Folks will cheer for Horvat for 30 seconds and move on.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I wouldn't worry much people. The fans won't boo Horvat. The atmosphere isn't conducive to booing when the big screen is paying tribute. 

Look at Kesler, he absolutely ham strung the team with his trade request and left on bad terms, and nobody boo'd him.

It's all good. Folks will cheer for Horvat for 30 seconds and move on.

100% correct. 
Much ado about nothing.

• Cheers 3

13 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While I’m very happy with where the team is now, I fail to see how Horvat forced a trade out of Vancouver. He only got the big payday AFTER he was traded which was a choice (and the correct one) made by Alvin and Rutherford. 

When he was no longer discussing his contract and just wanted to concentrate on the season? I knew he wasn't happy with what was being offered to him. The writing was on the wall. He thought he was a top center and wanted to be paid as such. Petey on the other hand, I hope his intentions are different and he is more concerned about winning as opposed to how many zeros are going to be added to his paycheck. We shall see soon I guess either way.

11 hours ago, Barnstorm said:

I wasn’t suggesting the fans should be there. 
If two NHL teams can’t come close to filling the lower bowl I’d say there’s a problem with the product and the location. These are Bettman’s pet projects, they’re not strong hockey markets, fair weather only. 

This did happen in ottawa during the Melnyk Era. The complete 300 level was blank.

This has since been corrected by Andlauer.

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

All I care about is, as long as we stay above the playoff line.

We’re in great shape so far. 
US thanksgiving being considered an important bench mark is fast approaching. In or out at that time is generally a good indicator of positioning. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

When he was no longer discussing his contract and just wanted to concentrate on the season? I knew he wasn't happy with what was being offered to him. The writing was on the wall. He thought he was a top center and wanted to be paid as such. Petey on the other hand, I hope his intentions are different and he is more concerned about winning as opposed to how many zeros are going to be added to his paycheck. We shall see soon I guess either way.

Funny how the tide has turned but I hope he looks at JTs contract, sees that JT takes all the hard matchups while still putting up tons of points and is signed @ 8m. He then looks over and sees Quinn making 7.85 while being the team captain and top d man in the NHL. Albeit, quinn went for security earlier on in his career so its not really comparable but to win the cup, players can't be trying to maximize their personal net worth. 

Look at all the top heavy teams, they don't win the cup. Need depth through the lineup. 

One thing that scares me about Petey is that he continually bets on himself and takes maximum amounts on short term contracts. I'm really hoping he's not doing all this to set himself up for a crazy 8 year max payday. 

If he leaves a little money on the table, that's the difference in the quality of a 6D we can get. A cup calibre one or a waiver fodder. 

Its also equally important for management not to waste money on stupid signings. If I was Petey and I saw oel making 7m, Brock of old (not this year) making almost 7m, why would I take a discount? So that they can overpay a teammate that's not pulling their weight? 

If the team is firing on all cylinders and they are all playing up to their contracts, it would be easier to convince Petey to be a team player. 

31 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I think this is total BS obviously showing negative bias. He thought he was a good player and deserved market value. He was being seriously undervalued with the reported offer. As mentioned by another poster he only capitalized due to the Isles situation once he was randomly traded there.

Being mad at our last 10 years is understandable, blaming Bo for that is not. Petey is not taking a discount to make anyone happy imo, and nor should he.

21 hours ago, JoGuitar said:

Having gone through the Pavel Bure, and Ryan Kesler departures I usually err on the side of Vancouver being pretty polite to its former long serving members.

He apologized for his comments, I think we can all move on.

Agree, only  people with low self-esteem will feel the urge to boo for Bo who stood up for the team during an all but glorious period.