[GDT] - November 15th 2023 - Canucks vs Islanders @ Rogers Arena - 7:00 PM PDT - SNP, AM650 - Bo-o Horvat Edition

JoGuitar

3 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Although it would be tough, I would much rather move on from Petey if he is going to be asking for the moon on his next contract. I look at Vegas and how that team is built and they are far different then say Toronto. 

One guy does not make a team and we are going to get well compensated if Petey does move on. 

The player wanting to be a team player is far more important then a guy who is looking to cash in on the most he can get for his services. Hughes and JT are good examples of that.

Yeah I think PA and the rest of management has a good grasp on valuations. 

Lots of ppl wanted to move on from Miller because we thought he was asking for the moon but to be fair, when most of us saw the contract amount, we were ok with it. Horvat was moved because he was eventually offered 7ish but didn't take it and PA knew when to stop. I think same thing will happen with Petey. PA will have a hard stop number and I'm hoping Petey understands that and signs rather than gets traded. 

Here's to hoping for that Swedish connection. 

• Cheers 4

Big game coming up, they'll be a good test to play a good goalie but we should be able to win this one. Friedman, Juulsen and Hirose/Wolanin are going to have to step in over the next 2 months. Big pressure for Myers who will have to play with some lesser guys. Sounds like Friedman may play on the left. Sounds like Hronek will probably rotate around as well. Want Demko to get back to playing solidly.

4-3 Canucks

Canucks: Bo Horvat on returning to Vancouver streets: 'I didn't get beat up. People were actually happy'

He got welcoming waves and not the finger.

When Bo Horvat walked familiar Vancouver streets Tuesday, the former Vancouver Canucks captain wasn’t sure what to expect. Would he get cheers or jeers?

“I didn’t get beat up, so that was good,” the New York Islanders centre said with a chuckle following a Wednesday game-day skate at Rogers Arena. “People were actually happy. Who knows what happens tonight? Boos or no boos. I appreciated what the organization has done for me.”

Horvat gained notoriety for a post-game comment in April after an Islanders home-ice victory. With the crowd roaring, his elation of winning, and of being wanted by another team set off some of the Canucks’ more raucous fan base.

“It’s been unbelievable,” Horvat said after that Islanders triumph. “It’s a lot better than Vancouver I can tell you that.”

Horvat clarified that message Wednesday.

“Honestly, I was just more upset about how my situation was handled last year,” he said. “That’s what I was upset about. It just felt good to be wanted somewhere and appreciated. I know the fans appreciated me a lot here, but it felt nice to be appreciated by that (Islanders) organization.

“How it was handled was upsetting. I couldn’t be happier to be on Long Island. To the Vancouver fans, thanks for all you support over the years. We went through tough times and fans stuck by my side and I appreciate that.”

Horvat wasn’t a rah-rah captain here, but he was always amiable and accountable.

He was a respectful small-town kid from a southern Ontario farming community with big-city dreams, who just led by example. He was just as proud of what he accomplished in the charitable community in comparison to his presence on the ice. That comes from being purposely groomed by Henrik and Daniel Sedin to become a consummate pro and community advocate.

“I like to think I played hard every night, but I’m more proud of the things we did in the community,” stressed Horvat. “The Canucks For Kids Fund and visiting the hospitals and doing things outside the rink to put smiles on kids’ faces. That’s what I took the most pride in, the work the Canucks did in the community.”

Horvat also answered the call on the ice. He amassed 31 goals and 54 points in just 49 games last season before being shipped to the Islanders Jan. 30 in a trade package. He ranks 10th in franchise scoring with 420 points (201-219) in 518 games and was good in the facoeff circle and special teams.

He never commanded he spotlight, but it always found him. Especially, when he had to try and accentuate the positive for a team that was off the rails after an 0-5-2 start. But it was more than hockey here. It was starting a family and making friends and taking his career to another level. He looked forward to Wednesday’s test against the red-hot Canucks with more anticipation than trepidation.

“I was looking forward to it. Just being in the city, it brought back a lot of memories,” he added. “I started my family here and played nine years. The city did a lot of great things for me and my family. I was talking to my wife about that last night, just thinking about all the things that happened.

“It definitely built a foundation of where I am today. I owe this city and my teammates a lot. It made me who I am. A lot of great memories here and some tough times, too. I’m not going to lie. It wasn’t easy all the time. (It was) a lot of fun playing here and a lot of nerves going into tonight (Wednesday). I’m really looking forward to it.

“It’s all the friends I made over the years and going to dinner last night with the guys (former teammates) was a lot of fun. Just a lot of things I’ll never forget.”

bkuzma@postmedia.com

https://apple.news/Ag9HGy1GBQresrSRZifG6ow

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Sergiomomesso said:

I’ll boo from home just the first time Bo touches the puck. After that I’ll hate him just as much as the other 19 guys in an Ilse’s jersey. Then root for them to take down the flames later this week. Yeah he’s a great guy and did an alright job as the Captain in a tough market. But two playoff appearances in 9 years. 5-6 years of a bottom feeder doesn’t scream “Legend” status in Vancity. 

let’s go boys. Hopefully Bo takes the NYI to the Cobalt for a few cold ones tonight. 

The Cobalt; thanks for that memory jog; haven't been there for decades; what's it like now?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah I think PA and the rest of management has a good grasp on valuations. 

Lots of ppl wanted to move on from Miller because we thought he was asking for the moon but to be fair, when most of us saw the contract amount, we were ok with it. Horvat was moved because he was eventually offered 7ish but didn't take it and PA knew when to stop. I think same thing will happen with Petey. PA will have a hard stop number and I'm hoping Petey understands that and signs rather than gets traded. 

Here's to hoping for that Swedish connection. 

Maybe management is hoping Quinn and or Miller can stay close in point production. If Petey lets say puts in 110 poitns this year and Miller puts in 105 (a high estimations but I think we are warranted a little optimism right now) then that could give Alvin some leverage in contract talks. It would be hard for Petey to say he should get 4+ million more than a guy only a few points behind who did more pk and defensive/match up work.  

Success will be a big player as well. If the boys keep playing well and finish above the 100 point mark and look good in the playoffs, then that will help keep the asking price lower too. With Hronek coming up as well, the Canucks need to capitalize on this success to help convince players to take a discount. Long season tho, so I wouldnt worry too much right now. LEts just enjoy the success while ti lasts and hope for the best. 

Big game tonight, Go Canucks Go!!!

1 hour ago, HIWATT said:

It's not just your "feelings".
Everyone has an online bubble that their digital life lives inside of while they're online.
There are a myriad of algorithms that track/categorize/analyze your every activity on the web.
You "seeing" or "not seeing" something, boils down to how all that information was interpreted *for you*, and then used to shape the digital world you see when you log onto the internet.
And that, in turn, can (and DOES) shape your opinion(s).

Isn't that nice ?  .   .    .     .      .       .        .         .          .

Well I can only speak from my perspective.

I am not discrediting any one elses opinion or Hansens for that matter.

I also choose to listen to podcasts and SN650 that are not selected by me from any algs neither are the opinions shared here. Sure you could say everything is indirectly impacted by bias from the content we consume but thats in absolutely every facet of our lives.

I take it you are gonna BOOO! OR BOO at your TV Screen?

My sentiment is our Captain said not to boo bo. I dont think we should either.

But whoever pays to go can do whatever they want!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I feel somewhat sorry for Bo (although I wish I didn't). I don't think he ever didn't try. Some nights he was a Bull. But he was here for some of the worst years and had a revolving door of useless wingers

I feel it's more the rot set in than that he's completely rubbish.

The trade was probably mutually beneficial. Get out of the rut for both teams. Bo drafted to coach T... I don't know but probably more compatible at that point.

35 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

The Cobalt; thanks for that memory jog; haven't been there for decades; what's it like now?

#5 Orange, TheSport, The Astor, The Turf, Commodore, The Metro, The Commercial, Hard Rock Cafe, too many to post, they were everywhere. Women could make huge money dancing. Lots of them. 

Just about ALL the sports bars are gone. Used to be numerous bars and Pubs around. They sponsored numerous sports teams and charities.

Our kids just hang out doing whatever now once they age out of minor age sports.

Cancer rates are increasing in young people

This game may shape the future for the Canucks.

Hughes and Hronek are going to get close to 30 minutes ice time each and tomorrow get in a plane pressurized to 8000 feet which will dehydrate them and then play another game in less than 24 hours. Injuries are likely.

Defence depth will be challenged, Demko better have a FAAAANnnnTTTAAAastic game.

Edited by TheGuardian
  • Like 1