[GDT] - November 15th 2023 - Canucks vs Islanders @ Rogers Arena - 7:00 PM PDT - SNP, AM650 - Bo-o Horvat Edition

JoGuitar

43 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

When he was no longer discussing his contract and just wanted to concentrate on the season? I knew he wasn't happy with what was being offered to him.

He had every right to be unhappy with what was offered to him. 

43 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

The writing was on the wall. He thought he was a top center and wanted to be paid as such. Petey on the other hand, I hope his intentions are different and he is more concerned about winning as opposed to how many zeros are going to be added to his paycheck. We shall see soon I guess either way.

And he was supposed to say that he's a middling 3rd line center? C'mon man. The NHL is the biggest stage for hockey players and if they want to cash in, they have every right to. 

I'd be inclined to boo Horvat. I was never a big fan of his game to begin with, and that parting shot was unprompted and unnecessary. But I won't be at the game, so it doesn't matter.

That said, it's probably better to be classier, and not boo him. It would make beating the Islanders a lot more sweet, I'll tell you that for free.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And he was supposed to say that he's a middling 3rd line center? C'mon man. The NHL is the biggest stage for hockey players and if they want to cash in, they have every right to. 

I'm glad he got 8 million per year... somewhere else.

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

its pretty clear we would have needed to overpay him to keep him here tho. The right decision was made for everyone at the end of the day. 

Oh yeah we never had money for three top notch centers and obviously made the right choice between Bo and Miller. We wouldn't have a had to overpay necessarily, but we would have had to offer something reasonable in and around the 7+ mark. The reported offer was an insult. Really the numbers are meaningless anyway. People calling Horvat greedy are being pretty cynical imo. There is no evidence he was out for a payday besides the fact he got one, but we all know the circumstances surrounding that as well.

It's worked out for everyone involved and that's great because it doesn't always happen. People need to chill out on Bo and concentrate on the fact that we finally got our act together. Who cares about Bo? Not me that's for sure.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

14 hours ago, tas said:

yes, I do think he cares. he was a friend and teammate for a number of years. do you care about your friends and teammates?

14 hours ago, Power-Forward said:

“Former teammate”, and this isn’t about me.  They most likely aren’t friends now.  That’s the way business works sometimes. 

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

So in your mind, a player gives up all his friends every time a trade is made? I think you are projecting there. And anybody who thinks it is appropriate to boo him is demonstrating a clear lack of class.

You don't just stop being friends with someone when they move on to another team. Case in point: This quote from Anthony Beauvillier:

“It's still going to feel strange a little bit,” the winger said Tuesday. “But last year when we played them, it was so fresh and it was really, really weird. I'm still in touch with, honestly, most of them. The group there hasn't changed that much in the last six years that I was there. I created some really good friendships and I'm still in touch with most of them.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/why-bo-horvat-deserves-cheers-not-jeers-in-return-to-vancouver/

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Oh yeah we never had money for three top notch centers and obviously made the right choice between Bo and Miller. We wouldn't have a had to overpay necessarily, but we would have had to offer something reasonable in and around the 7+ mark. The reported offer was an insult. Really the numbers are meaningless anyway. People calling Horvat greedy are being pretty cynical imo. There is no evidence he was out for a payday besides the fact he got one, but we all know the circumstances surrounding that as well.

It's worked out for everyone involved and that's great because it doesn't always happen. People need to chill out on Bo and concentrate on the fact that we finally got our act together. Who cares about Bo? Not me that's for sure.

I don't recall what the offer was, but wasn't it in the 7's? dunno, there's so much flak during these things its hard to know whats what. 

Anywho, I like how its turned out. Just have to lock up Petey. 

20 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Funny how the tide has turned but I hope he looks at JTs contract, sees that JT takes all the hard matchups while still putting up tons of points and is signed @ 8m. He then looks over and sees Quinn making 7.85 while being the team captain and top d man in the NHL. Albeit, quinn went for security earlier on in his career so its not really comparable but to win the cup, players can't be trying to maximize their personal net worth. 

Look at all the top heavy teams, they don't win the cup. Need depth through the lineup. 

One thing that scares me about Petey is that he continually bets on himself and takes maximum amounts on short term contracts. I'm really hoping he's not doing all this to set himself up for a crazy 8 year max payday. 

If he leaves a little money on the table, that's the difference in the quality of a 6D we can get. A cup calibre one or a waiver fodder. 

Its also equally important for management not to waste money on stupid signings. If I was Petey and I saw oel making 7m, Brock of old (not this year) making almost 7m, why would I take a discount? So that they can overpay a teammate that's not pulling their weight? 

If the team is firing on all cylinders and they are all playing up to their contracts, it would be easier to convince Petey to be a team player. 

Although it would be tough, I would much rather move on from Petey if he is going to be asking for the moon on his next contract. I look at Vegas and how that team is built and they are far different then say Toronto. 

One guy does not make a team and we are going to get well compensated if Petey does move on. 

The player wanting to be a team player is far more important then a guy who is looking to cash in on the most he can get for his services. Hughes and JT are good examples of that.

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I don't recall what the offer was, but wasn't it in the 7's? dunno, there's so much flak during these things its hard to know whats what. 

I’m certain it was reported near the trade deadline that they offered a final offer in the 7 million’s.

Edited by J-23
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yes you are exactly right! And that is why you have teams like Vegas and teams like Toronto. Players can pick which ever team they would like to play for. 😊

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

According to Seravalli and other sources it was $5.25 x 8. Brutally low but I get it. It's all we could afford and maybe Bo would take it to stay a career Canuck. From our side lowball offer and if we get a top center that cheap we would have gladly taken it. As is both sides decided to move on. It's a business. Not sure if a final offer was made or not.

https://clutchpoints.com/bo-horvat-insulting-contract-offer-vancouver-canucks-trade

As you say it's worked out swimmingly though. No need for any bad feelings. Time to move on and focus on making the playoffs. That would be soooooooo bloody exciting I'am freaking excited already.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

That line right there is priceless. 😃

• ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Bettman screwed Quebec.   Yes it's a small city.   But it's also an avid hockey market, hockey is like a religion there, more so than WNP.     As for TO, their GTA is absolutely ridiculous now.   All the way to Oshawa.   They for sure could have 2, maybe even 3 teams well supported, just like NYR, NYI and NJ not far away.     Maple Leafs wouldn't lose much if any income, and it would provide a huge rivalry opportunity.  

It was so much fun when the Nordiques would play Montreal and they were Montreal's Achille's Heal.

They were a great team and Colorado got gifted one of the best teams in the league.

I loved that team Quebec was robbed; and robbed again when the league-dominant Expos got moved to Washington.

17 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

That line right there is priceless. 😃

Enjoy it , revel in it, and roll around in it. It's true though.

Hate him if you must Edgar but can we please let it go now? I hope the rest of us can move on. Hating on Bo is getting a little tiresome and self deprecating. We should be focusing on our good season like decent fans not trashing our former 8 year Captain. What a fanbase lol.

Sheesh you would think he stole the Captaincy and was a giant to douchebag to the entire city that brought him in or something. I'm done on this topic but I'am saddened by a portion of our fanbase. Stay classy and pick your battles wisely.

Go Canucks. Send the Isles packing.

• Vintage 1