[GDT] - November 15th 2023 - Canucks vs Islanders @ Rogers Arena - 7:00 PM PDT - SNP, AM650 - Bo-o Horvat Edition

JoGuitar

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Although it would be tough, I would much rather move on from Petey if he is going to be asking for the moon on his next contract. I look at Vegas and how that team is built and they are far different then say Toronto. 

One guy does not make a team and we are going to get well compensated if Petey does move on. 

The player wanting to be a team player is far more important then a guy who is looking to cash in on the most he can get for his services. Hughes and JT are good examples of that.

The top 3 players in Vancouver even if say EP gets 12mil= 27.85 

Vegas won the cup last season with the top 3 making 28.3?

Tampa won with their top 3 making 27.5.. and all of those were done before the cap going up next season?

Colorado won the cup, their top 3 make 30.85

Credit to wai_lai416 for running some of the numbers.

Maybe we should be less concerned with how much our top players are making and worry more about the way they play the game and their commitment to being better. Everyone would like their players to take a discount but the reality is their worth what their peers are making (IMO),,, You just pray they live up to the contract they sign. Cause 20/20 hindsight can be a bitch. LOL 

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I'm not going to let myself be mad at Bo for one dumb comment he made months ago. He wasn't my favorite player but he worked his butt of for this team and provided some great moments duing some dark seasons.

Let's get a win here, we're close to being the best team in the league again!

• Cheers 1

I'm just gonna come out and say it:

FUCK BO, LET'S GO!

Like others, I am looking for a big game from JT Miller, a big, shit-stomping game: face-offs, hits, beat-downs, goals, assists, even some fucking swearing.

Petey too, gonna put the Islanders to sleep with the hypnotic, space-time-traveling moves only The Alien himself makes; many points of both kinds for Mr. Pettersson.

IT'S GO CANUCKS GO!

NO MO BO.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

The top 3 players in Vancouver even if say EP gets 12mil= 27.85

Vegas won the cup last season with the top 3 making 28.3?

Tampa won with their top 3 making 27.5.. and all of those were done before the cap going up next season?

Colorado won the cup, their top 3 make 30.85

Maybe we should be less concerned with how much our top players are making and worry more about the way they play the game and their commitment to being better.

Everyone would like their players to take a discount but the reality is their worth what their peers are making (IMO),,, You just pray they live up to the contract they sign.

Cause 20/20 hindsight can be a bitch. LOL 

If you want the best players, you'll have to pay for it.  That is why the Canucks desperately need

the prospects making the jump to the NHL.  So far, we have had disappointing results.

The team is lucky that Quinn signed a long term contract (could have done a bridge) and that

Miller signed his contract last year (imagine if he were a UFA this season).

I do think the team is on the verge of finally having some prospect joining the team, starting

next season and beyond. The more the merrier!

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Ouch, big blow.

What does Allvin do, a little something, everything, nothing?

"Nothing" is my guess. At some point, your other players need to step up.

This is Hirose's chance to show he can be relied upon.

• Cheers 2

Just now, higgyfan said:

Seeing as he has never played a full season in his career, you are probably correct.

Don't get me wrong, I like what Soucy brings, and liked what both Tanev and Salo brought. Just sucks to have a player injured multiple times during a season, especially for them. Heal well, Carson. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

"Nothing" is my guess. At some point, your other players need to step up.

This is Hirose's chance to show he can be relied upon.

Yeah I agree I hope we don't panic react. Hirose has shown some real poise let's see if he can run with it.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, iceman1964 said:

Soucy out for 6-8 weeks?  Ouch, really hope Willander and D-petey work out! 

That's a yr or two from now.  

Meanwhile...Hirose it is.  But management will try to move contacts out and get more D depth 

Edited by Jaimito

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While Hirose has poise and intelligence, he lacks the size that Soucy brings.

So does Huggy. Is that a serious deficiency? Does that make him an ineffective Dman? Given the choice, I would take poise and intelligence over size.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While Hirose has poise and intelligence, he lacks the size that Soucy brings.

Yeah big difference there. I love the way Soucy plays within his limits but he's always a threat to absolutely level an opponent if they're trying to squeeze down the boards or go around the net. It's a big deterrent to the opposition and a huge bonus for us.

Different players for sure but I think Hirose can be close to as effective just with a different style. My concern is this might be the perfect storm for Allvin to go out and make a big splash. If we do get someone I sure hope we don't overpay.

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

So does Huggy. Is that a serious deficiency?

Hughes is a generational talent on defense. His talent and capability are immeasurable. And Hughes isn't being called up from Abbotsford is he? No he's not.  

Does that make him an ineffective Dman?

It doesn't make him and ineffective defenseman, his lack of experience does, that being said, part of the reason Soucy was signed was because of his size, so with him out, the defense isn't as imposing from that perspective. 

Given the choice, I would take poise and intelligence over size.

And your defense would get run in the playoffs big time.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

So does Huggy. Is that a serious deficiency? Does that make him an ineffective Dman? Given the choice, I would take poise and intelligence over size.

I think having 1 or 2 undersized dmen is passable, but not 4. The game has changed, but clearing guys in the crease, being tough on the boards etc is still part of it.

Hughes is a magician at working so he doesn't get caught along the boards. Hirose got stapled to them a couple times in preseason and early season. 

I'm nervous right now. I don't like the edmonton model of just outscore your problems. 

• Vintage 1