[GDT] - November 15th 2023 - Canucks vs Islanders @ Rogers Arena - 7:00 PM PDT - SNP, AM650 - Bo-o Horvat Edition

JoGuitar

Just now, DeNiro said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if we saw Juulsen, Friedman, and Myers with Cole by the end of the night.

Do you recall what they were doing during Habs game when Soucy went down?

I didn't watch the whole game. 

16 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hmmm, what does that mean.

Hughes Hronek

Cole Myers

Juulsen Friedman

???

Canucks need RD! No, wait, that was last year.

Canucks need a LD! 

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Myers

Zadorov - Friedman

Hirose - Juulsen

IR - Soucy, Brisebois, Poolman

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Enjoy it , revel in it, and roll around in it. It's true though.

Hate him if you must Edgar but can we please let it go now? I hope the rest of us can move on. Hating on Bo is getting a little tiresome and self deprecating. We should be focusing on our good season like decent fans not trashing our former 8 year Captain. What a fanbase lol.

Sheesh you would think he stole the Captaincy and was a giant to douchebag to the entire city that brought him in or something. I'm done on this topic but I'am saddened by a portion of our fanbase. Stay classy and pick your battles wisely.

Go Canucks. Send the Isles packing.

I don't hate him, I just care much more about the team then any one player is all.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Do you recall what they were doing during Habs game when Soucy went down?

I didn't watch the whole game. 

I wasn’t really paying attention to the pairs to be honest.

I know Toccchet and Foote aren’t afraid to mix up the pairs during a game though.

A lot of it will depend on how Juulsen and Cole look together again and how Friedman and Myers gel would be my guess.

I can't stand the media's forced narrative about "Will the fans boo Bo?" 

Uh.....why?

And all its doing is giving courage to those few idiots going to the game that think booing the former captain would be acceptable and fun to do.  Heck even the media says its an option so why not?  This is a good example of inciting fans to make a scene so that the same sports media figures can have some spicy content and the sound clips of boos for their podcasts after the game.

But seriously....why would fans boo him? 

He was mostly quite unremarkable as a player, other than his last retirement contract season.  He wasn't terrible and he wasn't a difference maker either.  For me, its difficult to garner any emotion about him. And I suspect most fans are like that. But I acknowledge that he oversaw a time period when we had arguably the worst GM in our history. Bad luck that he had more post game interviews about losses than wins.  He took the heat, and was the consummate gentleman about it.  I felt more pity than anything when he was stepping up to the mic again after another loss.

If he had been the new young captain of a rebuilding team instead. And he evolved into a veteran of a stacked young team by around 2018, he'd be looked at differently, and maybe still had his job here. 

But that didn't happen and it was absolutely the right move to trade him.  I think his spirit had worn down over the hapless Benning years. It was time for a change in leadership. But where do some in the media get the impression that fans are angry with him? To the point of booing him? For one silly slip up when he praised his new team's fans over us?  For following the money instead of taking a home town discount? (and thank gawd he didn't) But its not like he's the first player to do that.

I predict that those in the sports media that are egging on a humiliation for Bo by fans will get egg on their faces instead.  Other than a few idiots they recruit by their normalization of this stupid idea. The vast majority of live fans will cheer him. He deserves some recognition for his years of holding the fort here.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Blitz-Pix said:

The top 3 players in Vancouver even if say EP gets 12mil= 27.85 

Vegas won the cup last season with the top 3 making 28.3?

Tampa won with their top 3 making 27.5.. and all of those were done before the cap going up next season?

Colorado won the cup, their top 3 make 30.85

Credit to wai_lai416 for running some of the numbers.

Maybe we should be less concerned with how much our top players are making and worry more about the way they play the game and their commitment to being better. Everyone would like their players to take a discount but the reality is their worth what their peers are making (IMO),,, You just pray they live up to the contract they sign. Cause 20/20 hindsight can be a bitch. LOL 

I much prefer to look at ALL OF THE PLAYERS ON THE TEAM to just a couple of players. I also look at their attitude and what drives them. I gave Miller and Hughes as examples of those that are on this team for the right reasons. Vegas did quite well before they got their big salaried players. They built a team FIRST.

21 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Oh yeah?  Imagine Calgary booing this guy:

You boo the players who deserve it.  Horvat doesn't deserve it.  Don't embarass this hockey club.

Imagine this guy saying that about the fans in Calgary... 

I don't care about, what fans want to do or not, but I doubt Iginla, would answer a question like that...

It's about class, or lack of... He hurt a lot of fans with his comment. I can tell you that for free...

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, viking mama said:

I sincerely hope NOT. 

No boos tonight, please. 

This is a former Captain who gave us his all on most nights & performed as one of the  “best” players out on the ice. He was a shoot-out wizard, one of the PP’s king-pins, & he showed-up in the play/offs that he was able to participate in, although some of those series took place under Covid protocols in those very restrictive “bubble” conditions. 

Bo was also here for some unlucky miscues, times & seasons. Character building times! He got only a taste of what it must be like to be a long-suffering Canucks fan waiting 50+ years to see the Stanley Cup awarded to this city’s team. He saw the on-ice injustices & eastern media bias. Bo knows. 

Yet, I still expect to see/read a lot of signs telling Bo a few more things…..for free. 

Attempting to endear himself to his new-found Islander-fans & teammates is no sin. But, as the former-captain, it never reflects well upon you, to diss your former club. It’s akin to dissing an ex or the mother/father of your kids. I don’t think ever he saw his post-game comments it that way. He only meant to express that some rough times were behind him, & now he believed that good times were happening for himself as a NY Islander, his Islander teammates & Islander fans. Bo’s page as a Vancouver Canuck, had officially & publicly turned. 

Little did he know, this gutsy trade  freed-up cap space that spurred on good things for the Canucks’ organization as well. It was a sacrifice that helped his former team & ‘mates. 

This will likely be an awkward, if not bitter-sweet, reckoning for Bo. We can understand that. Be compassionate. Don’t taint all of the good memories, that he made or gave to us, all! 

Please stand-up & cheer!  

Other than Mark Messier,…our former-captains have be honourable… & thus honourably discharged.

Honour him! 

I agree completely, Viking mama. We already have a bad rep due to the riots and don’t need to be boors like they are in Boston or Philly. Keep it classy. Wish him well. Then beat their ass.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Chon derry said:

The amount of posts you’ve made and the amount of reputation points you receive. It’s an indicator of how much respect you get. And like it’s name it’s an indicator of your reputation. If the ratio is more posts than reps people aren’t responding as good as they could. Cheers. 

Good to see you back Chon... cheers.

• Cheers 2

I dont get the sense that the fans or media are pushing a narrative to boo. I feel like I am hearing the opposite?

Hope the barn gives him a cheer 

Show our current young players how we will support them always. 

Bo didn't demand to leave, Bo didn't want to leave, Bo didn't choose to leave

The only negative thing bo ever did was what he told us for free and he walked it back apologized.

IT wasn't even directed at the fans he was unhappy with the departure and was playing winning hockey and excited to be in a playoff hunt something that wasn't common during his Canucks tenure.

He was our captain during a very difficult time, he faced the media losing day in and day out. He carried himself professionally and he was involved in the community.

Anyone who boos him is just silly.

Now if we broke out some sort of chant involving the tell you that for free that would be fun but booing him would be a bad look for our fanbase imo.

I also am curious how Bo will play.

He was always better on the road for us IMO than he was at home. So now that our home is his away what will happen? 🧐

• Cheers 3

14 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I much prefer to look at ALL OF THE PLAYERS ON THE TEAM to just a couple of players. I also look at their attitude and what drives them. I gave Miller and Hughes as examples of those that are on this team for the right reasons. Vegas did quite well before they got their big salaried players. They built a team FIRST.

I get what you're saying, my point was that the upper tier of the talent pool is going to get paid fair market value (at that point in time)

Your post was about Pettersson getting paid big money and "Not the entire team" which is why I gave you a couple of examples of 

teams that pay their stars and win cups.  

Let's be clear, Vegas got to start with a fresh Salary cap and was able to build the team the way they wanted. Huge kudos to them as they did an incredible job,  no other expansion team has ever been so successful (to my knowledge) so I'd call them the exception, not the norm.  Seatle did a pretty good job mind you. 

Edited by Blitz-Pix

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I dont get the sense that the fans or media are pushing a narrative to boo. I feel like I am hearing the opposite?

Hope the barn gives him a cheer 

Show our current young players how we will support them always. 

Bo didn't demand to leave, Bo didn't want to leave, Bo didn't choose to leave

The only negative thing bo ever did was what he told us for free and he walked it back apologized.

IT wasn't even directed at the fans he was unhappy with the departure and was playing winning hockey and excited to be in a playoff hunt something that wasn't common during his Canucks tenure.

He was our captain during a very difficult time, he faced the media losing day in and day out. He carried himself professionally and he was involved in the community.

Anyone who boos him is just silly.

Now if we broke out some sort of chant involving the tell you that for free that would be fun but booing him would be a bad look for our fanbase imo.

I also am curious how Bo will play.

He was always better on the road for us IMO than he was at home. So now that our home is his away what will happen? 🧐

Nicely said. It will be extremely interesting. Obviously Bo will be out to play his absolute best in his return and their team must be desperate too. We've had a coupe days to recoup and practice. Should be a good one.

• Cheers 2

On 11/14/2023 at 11:06 AM, 5forFighting said:

Shouldn't have said what he said when he left. Canucks have 7 players in the top 200 of the NHL and Hronek is about to leap frog him. It worked out well for us. 

The irony there, is that the fans in NY didn't even think or care at all about what he said.

29 minutes ago, R3aL said:

It's not just your "feelings".
Everyone has an online bubble that their digital life lives inside of while they're online.
There are a myriad of algorithms that track/categorize/analyze your every activity on the web.
You "seeing" or "not seeing" something, boils down to how all that information was interpreted *for you*, and then used to shape the digital world you see when you log onto the internet.
And that, in turn, can (and DOES) shape your opinion(s).

Isn't that nice ?  .   .    .     .      .       .        .         .          .

Edited by HIWATT

I like how Tocchet sets his practices.  They're not all the same, many things they work on are tailor made for the team they're about to play.  The Canucks scout out and go over tape of the Islanders breaking down their weaknesses like I assume every team does.   But I think the Canucks have raised the bar for the entire NHL when it comes to depth in

coaching and have taken whole new philosophy to another level. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2