[GDT] - November 15th 2023 - Canucks vs Islanders @ Rogers Arena - 7:00 PM PDT - SNP, AM650 - Bo-o Horvat Edition

JoGuitar

I think it's funny, Tryamkin said far worse things about the city and fanbase but many on this board would have loved for him to return. Bo is here during the worst hockey, management, coaching in the past 20 years, he's a little hurt by the move because he gave his youth and his guts to this franchise and some fans will be DBags and boo him. F THEM! Seriously!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Goal_thecup said:

It does go a long way but a lot of the time, it doesn't make it to the rink.

Drunken galoots and noisy brouhahas, booing (gasp!), giving the refs the raspberry (omg), swearing, singing, and other boorish behaviour used to abound.

I know, I were one, or two, or three; and for that, I apologize to anyone who was offended at the time.

But that time was about 50(!) years ago, and fans in the stands were a lot different, and a lot of people snuck in hard liquor, etc.

In the lesser leagues there were lots of fights in the stands and in the lineups to get in, etc.

I hope people don't boo Bo but I respect their right to do so.

dude, I boo. I went to a game in abby this season where we collectively broke their* tendy's brain. give 'em the gears. it's supposed to be a hostile environment.

but singling out your former captain, who was traded and said he had thought he'd be a career canuck and was clearly shell-shocked for weeks after the trade? just dumb. 

edit for clarity: *their tendy being the opposition, not abby's own. 

Edited by tas
  • Cheers 2

Bo as a player and captain does not define the entire team. We were simply a middling club with roster issues. He did the best he could given his assignment and where coaching placed him in lieu of mgmt picking up other talent that could play the 3C role which might have freed Bo up to become a point producer (and eventually allow him to make a bit more money in next contract). But instead of being selfish he did what was asked of him (until final year when he finally chose to think of his own career first). I’d be  pissed in the end too if I was him. He took a lot of blame, played a defensive role that likely dumbed his skill set down a bit, but at the same time was a passive captain and not the ideal person to lead the club out of the doldrums. As mentioned, he put his career first when it was in doubt where mgmt placed him in priority (but good call on their part) and was hurt by that on his way out…hence the comments he made.

Like him or not, anyone here who slags him imho is unappreciative of what his contribution was to this jersey. He was a draft pick and homegrown talent that became captain and spent his whole career with us. Be respectful of that, not shitty and immature. Whether it’s realized or not, he sacrificed a lot for the jersey and put up with a ton of shit from media and fanbase despite most of the problems being a result of ineffective coaching and mgmt.

Edited by RWJC
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Power-Forward said:

“Former teammate”, and this isn’t about me.  They most likely aren’t friends now.  That’s the way business works sometimes. 

try empathy instead of painting these guys as two dimensional videogame characters. 

it IS about you, because just like you, these guys are real life 3 dimensional human beings with feelings and stuff. 

3 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

FTR, I hate boo'ing and think it's dumb.

It's one thing to jeer the other team's goaltender, the refs, etc. But to target a former teammate, for me, is a show of disrespect. When they go low stuff.....

What’s the difference?  It’s just as disrespectful to boo anyone lol.  Where is the line in the sand drawn? 

1 minute ago, Power-Forward said:

What’s the difference?  It’s just as disrespectful to boo anyone lol.  Where is the line in the sand drawn? 

it's the reason for booing. the intent and motivation is the whole point of the sound. 

• Confused 1

Sure hope Bo doesn’t get Booood.He was a great face off guy  for us from day 1,I believe even in his rookie year was best on the team.Dont blame him one bit for exiting team but I don’t think he was ever JR,s guy.good move by management hopefully good move for Bo as well.

GOCANUCKS!!!!

Just now, tas said:

try empathy instead of painting these guys as two dimensional videogame characters. 

it IS about you, because just like you, these guys are real life 3 dimensional human beings with feelings and stuff. 

You’re right, I’ll agree with you.  But if you have ever been to a hockey game or a spots venue before this is generally how the atmosphere is and people have fun with it all over world and in Europe and N.A.  It’s not meant to be taken so personal.  I have a few beer and I Boo a little with the fans and laugh.  Hockey players shouldn’t take them self so serious then.  It’s just for a laugh.  🙂

• Cheers 1

Dont really care either way about the guy, he chose the big pay day over his team and team mates. Bringing us a Cup was somewhere down his want list, which is fine.

Miller and Hughes are showing a different side and I would much rather have them on the team anyway. Our team is far better off without him, lets just move on. 

Horvat has to be one of the least-hateable guys ever. Even-keeled, good with the media and in the community, plus gave a consistent “very good” output as a player.  

I’m sure the fans in the arena will give it up for him one last time.  No reason not to be classy. 

• Vintage 1

and on the flip side:

Bo Horvat's former Canucks teammate encourages fans to boo him: 'Shove it in his face'

Horvat returns to Vancouver to face his former team for the first time on Wednesday.

A former teammate of Bo Horvat hopes Vancouver Canucks fans give him a hard time in his return to Vancouver on Thursday night.

Jannik Hansen, Horvat’s teammate with the Canucks from 2014-15 to 2016-17, spoke in solidarity with Canucks faithful during a hit on The People’s Show on Sportsnet 650 Tuesday evening.

“I hope they give him the best of both worlds. You boo him when they touch the puck and you make the building phenomenally loud when things go your way. And then you can kind of shove it in his face, right back at him, if you will,” Hansen said.

Horvat, 28, spent the first nine years of his career with Vancouver before being traded to the New York Islanders ahead of last year's trade deadline.

While Horvat, the team's captain before his departure, was beloved during his time with the organization, he irked Canucks fans with a post-game quip he had after a win with the Islandersin April.

“It’s a lot better than Vancouver, I’ll tell you that for free,” Horvat said.

Hansen had some strong feelings about those comments.

“It was a slap in the face to Vancouver faithful, that’s for sure,” Hansen said.

Horvat, who walked back the comments a few days after initially making them, made it clear in an interview with Newsday that his remarks were not directed at Vancouver fans.

“I was just more upset how everything went down last year.”

Canucks captain Quinn Hughestold reporters after practice Tuesday that he believes Horvat should be celebrated.

“He put in nine really good years here and was really solid and never complained,” Hughes said. “He was a great leader. He put in his work and was someone that everyone could go to if they needed to talk to someone. It wasn’t always easy, but he always stepped right in front of it.”

https://apple.news/A_ZeG78bqRgu8qTmEOSgvIg

3 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Dont really care either way about the guy, he chose the big pay day over his team and team mates. Bringing us a Cup was somewhere down his want list, which is fine.

Miller and Hughes are showing a different side and I would much rather have them on the team anyway. Our team is far better off without him, let’s just move on. 

While I’m very happy with where the team is now, I fail to see how Horvat forced a trade out of Vancouver. He only got the big payday AFTER he was traded which was a choice (and the correct one) made by Alvin and Rutherford. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1