GMs discussing rule changes to 3-on-3 OT

Rubik

55 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

From what I remember back in the day when ties were still a thing, it led to some pretty dull play near the end of a game where neither team wanted to squander a point.

I find 3 on 3 overtime fun. It can really showcase what the best skaters and puck-handlers can do and I’d be ok with extending it to 10 minutes and/or creating a red-line rule. 

3 on 3 OT used to be fun.  Now it's turning into an endless series of teams looping around waiting for the opposition to make a mistake.  That's where I think a red line rule could help.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Strawbone said:

They should just drop it to 2-on-2 after 5 minutes, then 1-on-1 after another 5 minutes, and then just goalie-on-goalie after another 5 minutes. Stupid? Probably. Fun? I think so! That one game a year that actually makes it to the goalie-on-goalie phase would be must-watch TV.

yeah but can the goalie skate up when its 1v1? we want to see demko take a one timer!!!!

2 hours ago, Goalie29 said:

3 on 3 OT used to be fun.  Now it's turning into an endless series of teams looping around waiting for the opposition to make a mistake.  That's where I think a red line rule could help.

red line is not coming back... it was put into effect to eliminate the trap... we dont want trap hockey again

Just now, Dankmemes187 said:

red line is not coming back... it was put into effect to eliminate the trap... we dont want trap hockey again

Not that red line, well, that red line, but a different application.

The idea that's out there is to steal a rule from basketball and apply it to 3-on-3 OT.  No going back over center.

7 minutes ago, Dankmemes187 said:

yeah but can the goalie skate up when its 1v1? we want to see demko take a one timer!!!!

My idea would be to drop the puck at center ice with the goalies in their nets, and have them race to center ice to see who gets to the puck first. Then, they battle to get the puck in the opposing net, whether that's taking a long shot from center or trying to stickhandle down the ice with the other goalie chasing them down. As you can see, I've thought this through! It would make sports news highlights around the world!

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, GreenTercel said:

So when they apply a red line reverse rule with a floating shot clock that applies only when players make 6 consecutive passes and then players and coaches *still* find a way around that to keep possession, then what?

Exercise the Charles Wang initiative: sumo wrestling goalies - instead of playing 3v3 overtime, the goalies strip down to their jocks and then meet at centre ice, treat the centre ice circle as the ring, with traditional sumo wrestling rules in effect. :hurhur:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

European biscuit is the only solution.

New version of r/p/s?  "Biscuit/Basket/Busker"?

The biscuit goes in the basket (basket wins)

The busker chokes on the biscuit (biscuit wins)

The busker takes the basket (busker wins)

:hurhur:

15 minutes ago, The Lock said:

So my ignorant self wonders what the actual problem is with the current format and why the change?

it's called - they didn't anticipate the unanticipated consequences (that being, constantly looping back to try to ensure puck possession, instead of the expected end-to-end action)

On 11/15/2023 at 1:59 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

it's called - they didn't anticipate the unanticipated consequences (that being, constantly looping back to try to ensure puck possession, instead of the expected end-to-end action)

Well if this is an issue then I'd say keep the change as simple as possible.

I understand the idea of a shot-clock to try and push the tempo a bit more and end up with less shootouts, but I think there's a good balance right now and it's not like every game in OT ends in a shoot-out. Probably people just getting more and more inpatient over time. 3 on 3 is open-ended enough, no need to make it more fast-paced and offensive.

Problem with 3 on 3 OT is it's kind of a stat killer and it's not really a team game.  Get the tie breakers, but let's be real, certain teams (and players) have sure padded their stats as a result, for goalie's the shoot-outs.   It's way better than deciding a team game by a shout-out, but it's still a gimmick.    All the things, folks were trying to get rid of with tie games, have just morphed into something else entirely.    

The dead puck era is gone.   Time to kill the whole thing and just go back to ties and one 5 minute OT period.    That's how I feel anyways.   Removing the red line changed the game.   After the Oilers dynasty was blown up, the league got rid of coincidental minors and went back to 4 x 4.    Punishing good teams and players, has always been ridiculous.    The league never needed gimmicks to bring players back.    At most go back to 4 x 4 OT.    But the time has come, to remove the loser point entirely.   Every single year, a better team misses the playoffs as a result of the rule changes.    Their effort to reduce shoot-outs was solved.   Lol.   At least get rid of that please.   I'd prefer the winner takes all format, and am not at all in favour of 3 point games.    A game is a game.   Tie games are tie games.       

Edit:  I'd be fine with just getting rid of the shoot-outs.   The loser point needs to go as well.   It's already screwed with 2 decades of stats now.   If they need to keep a loser point, give the losing team .5 of a point, the goalie .5 of a win, and the winning team 1.5 in 3 x 3 OT.    Even better just get rid of the whole thing and do winner takes all 5 x 5. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

On 11/14/2023 at 9:59 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Exercise the Charles Wang initiative: sumo wrestling goalies - instead of playing 3v3 overtime, the goalies strip down to their jocks and then meet at centre ice, treat the centre ice circle as the ring, with traditional sumo wrestling rules in effect. :hurhur:

Seriously don't see much of a difference in 3 x 3 OT, loser points and shoot-outs.  

The loser point was created so teams wouldn't let off the pedal in tie games late in the third period.   They do the exact same thing, that hasn't changed one bit.   Knowing they get to OT, they get one point no matter what - go figure!   Seriously wonder if a grade two arithmetic student made this stuff up, because that's what it feels like anyways.    They created 3 x 3 because of all the pushback with shootouts.    Now there is a problem with 3 x 3 because well let's be honest, it's a bit of a gimmicky pond hockey thing, and coaches figured that out pretty fast.    Actually don't mind it that bad, but let's make one game worth 2 points.   And bring back the tie.   Give a winning team 1.5 points in OT an instead of 2.     That's rewarding winning in regulation. 

And would rather just do winner takes all.   OT games used to be just for playoff games.   That's fine too.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

Regulation Win: 3 points

3-on-3 OT Win: 2 points

Shootout Win: 1  Point

Loss - Any Situation: 0 points.

Voila. Only get points if you win, and the longer the game goes the further they dwindle. There's your incentive to keep attacking. Yeah, it makes it more difficult to compare to seasons passed – But at this point does that really matter anymore? The game and system has always changed.