JJ Moser - Moritz Seider

Ryan Graves - Jared Spurgeon

Martin Fehervary - Ryder Korczak

Oliver Kylington - Ty Emberson

Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen

Joey Daccord

knight rider kitt GIF

• Haha 1

Some of the roster moves and signings from the last few days have not been updated yet, but I will be getting to those shortly.

2026 draft selections are not yet listed on the team charts, but are now available for use.  These will be added in the next few days.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Gator said:

WE F***ING DID IT TORONTO!!!

Well, well, well, if it isn't Canada's #1 loved (and hated) team, the Toronto Maple Leafs finally bringing the Stanley Cup back to CANADA!.. Feels a bit surreal to say that, but here we are. The Toronto Maple Leafs are the 2023-24 CHAMPS BABY!!!!

Ice Hockey Sport GIF by NHL

SUCK IT OILERS!!! 😋

What a ride this season has been.. I went into this season knowing it very well could be my final season in GML and made a very bold decision to move a big name or 2 to make a run. Early on it was decided that Quinn Hughes would be made available for the right price. Yes, we decided we were willing to move on from a Hughes brother to push for a ring. Lucky for us no1 bit on my high ask for the best Dman in the NHL. We got close on a couple fronts, but neither GM decided to pull the trigger. Just about a month later the Canucks were rolling, and Quinn VERY QUICKLY became unavailable. 

What was more shocking was the Oilers were 2-9-1(?) at the time and things were looking very poor in Oil country at the time. That was NOT good for us. We had A LOT invested in the Oilers, and felt like we needed to shed some fat there. We made the very big decision to move on from who we consider to be the GOAT in Connor McDavid. We put him on the market, and Lucky for us found a perfect match. We managed to land McKinnon + Holtz + Mikheyev for him. All 3 at the time feeling like solid playoff assets (Holtz later being shipped in part of a package for Kyle Connor). McKinnon played a very big roll in our round 2 matchup against the always feared Buffalo Sabers. Lucky for us we didn't need his production beyond that point, and the loss of McDavid didn't come back to bite us.

Leading up to the trade deadline it was clear that the Devils (the other team I heavily invested in) were falling apart at the seems, and their inability to acquire a goaltender like Markstrom sealed the fate of 2 Hughes Brothers for us. We really felt like we were on the verge of competing for a championship, and felt trading those 2 could put us over the top not only this year, but the next 2+ years. We already acquired Kyle Connor for Mercer + Holtz, and made a big move with the Lightning that landed us Shea Theodore for several top prospects. Both Connor & Theodore coming with max retention for this year & next. We ended up moving out Luke Hughes for Logan Stankoven + 1st. Stankoven was putting up over a ppg over a short time at the time if the trade. Not sure how the value will look down the road, but imo he played a key role in our round 3 matchup so we will call it a win. Jack Hughes was the final piece however. We managed to acquire Bobrovsky & Reinhart for him, and Reinhart will be that 3rd player under max retention next season for us. Both of those players played a major role in all 4 rounds for us, and ultimately are the main reason(s) we took this thing down.. Outside of Sharpy (and Draisitl) coming up clutch in the final couple days of the regular season!

Little back story on sharpy and Draisitl thing right quick... When Quinn Hughes was available there were 2 serious GMs out there that got close to getting him. One was Sharpy. I offered Quinn++ for Draisitl, and he rejected, and later tried to do it, to which I refused. To be fair I refused around the time I was deciding to ship out McDavid lol.. Draisitl staying in Boston and coming up clutch in those final 2 days kept me from what would have been a nail biter of a loss to the Sabers in round 1. When I seen Lethunder got that close 2 days before the season ended I was nervous. He made some big moves for what I considered to be "round 1 talent", and I went the opposite, and went after "round 2 and beyond talent" thinking sharpy would be an easy out in round 1. I refused to acquire a few solid pieces at decent costs because I wanted my assets for the round 2 and beyond guys. Crazy how close that came back to bite me lol. So thank you Sharpy! 😛

ROUND 1 - TOR (346) vs BOS (123)

We would like to thank sharpy once again for coming up clutch and hanging onto that #3 seed!.. We thought for sure we were going to be facing the Sabers in the first round which we would have lost 359-346.

ROUND 2 - TOR (310) vs BUF (196)

Lucky for us we got the Buffalo Sabers right where we wanted them when we were making our deadline moves.. IN THE 2ND ROUND!!!

We knew Buffalo would be our biggest hurdle in chasing this championship, and we tried VERY hard to pry 2 of their bigger playoff pieces away (Trochek & Manson) to not just improve our squad, but weaken the competition.. Hats off to Lethunder, because he turned down some solid offers, and he believed he could beat me.. And at the time I didn't think he had a chance to catch sharpy. So I dug my feet in and went searching for the best guys I could get my hands on for mine and Lethunder's big round 2 dog fight. I knew he had some big future pieces to make moves, so we had to make a big splash, and boy did we ever!

It might not have been a "close" match being over 100 point difference, but if we faced in any other round 1 or 3 he would have beaten me in nail biters. Hat is off to you man. You really made a strong push, and made me sweat big time!

Always nice to take down a dynasty on route to a Stanley Cup!.. Nothing but respect for our division foe and the legend of a GM they have over there.

ROUND 3 - TOR (127) vs PIT (106)

This was the closest we came to losing a playoff series, but it honestly wasn't that close until the end when Bouchard decided to wake up. Towards the end of round 2 with the Canucks up 3-2 over the Oilers I thought round 3 would be a cake walk. I'd be keeping my man Quinn Hughes, and PIT would be losing their guy in Bouchard.. Then everything went south for me and the Canucks.. Oilers won in 7, I lost Quinn, and PIT was bringing their red hot Bouchard to round 3 with them... Oh boy, I'm in trouble.. Game 1, Bobrovsky Shutout!!!.. Things just seem to be going my way the whole time, until Bouchard starts to pile up points late. With the FLA series over, and 2 games left between the Stars and Oilers I was in a bit of trouble. I felt safe, but knew Bouchard could turn everything around.. Right away.. Bouchard gets 2 points, and I believe Hintz did as well. PIT was closing the gap fast. Stars pulled within 1 goal late in game 6.. If the Stars managed to win that game and extend the series to 7 games I really feel PIT had a solid chance at pulling off the come back. Lucky for us Edmonton closed the door in 6 and we took down the EAST!!!

GML FINALS - TOR (126) vs COL (40)

Well this series was kind of over before it started. Unfortunately for Colorado and GML fans this one wasn't so exciting, but boy did that 18 year old Sam Bennett put up a fight!!!

THE CUP IS BACK IN CANADA BABY!!!!

We would like to congratulate @aGENT on a fantastic season. Takes a lot to get to the finals, and even if you come up short you have to respect the grind!.. Might sting now, but you'll look back on this one day and be proud of the accomplishment. 

As for the fans. We couldn't have done it without you. We took all your Twitter comments into consideration, and made some deals based on some of your suggestions. That's how you win titles.. You listen to your fans!!!

FAREWELL CDCGML

And now it's time to hang up my GM shoes as I officially announce my retirement from CDCGML. I will never forget the day I took over the Maple Leafs. A team that had only made the playoffs 2 times in 9 years, and never seen passed round 2 (both in GML and IRL). We took over just a week or 2 before the 2020 draft, and the scouting immediately got me hooked to this world of fantasy hockey. Pulled a pretty respectable draft class considering the little amount of time I had to scout.

Alexis Lafreniere

Quinton Byfield

Connor Zary

Thomas Bordeleau (Not Villeneuve :p)

Drew Commesso

We made a bunch of trades and basically gutted the team, tanked for Luke Hughes, and accumulated a lot of futures, which we later flipped to build our current core. Heading into the 2021-22 season I said we would be ready to compete for years to come in 2-3 years. 3 years later we are GML CHAMPIONS. Talk about putting your money where your mouth is! 

2020-21 - Tore down roster

2021-22 - 2-3 year timeline given

2022-23 - Round 1 loss

2023-24 - GML Champions!

We feel we have left the team in great shape for newly hired GM @JohnnyEhGiver. We feel we left him a team that's not only in prime position to compete for a b2b, but also the right core, and prospect pool to make keep this thing going for years to come.. And even if they want to flip the assets to make it their own team we definitely left them the valuable assets to flip into another solid roster. Either way we feel we left the organization in a good spot long term despite going "all in" chasing the ring this year and possibly next.

We would like to take a moment to thank all of you fine GMs. It's been a very fun and wild 4 years competing with you all. Met some real great people over the years. I would like to thank @canuck2xtreme and all other GMs that have helped in a league/exec role to keep everything running smoothly over the years. Also just a shout out to everyone in general. Been a blast competing with yall these 4 years. Wish you all the best on your future GML seasons!.. You guys may see me back here someday, but for now I want to put all of my focus into GFL. Good luck everyone moving forward. Especially you JohnnyEhGiver.. Get that B2B baby!!!

Mamba Out Los Angeles Lakers GIF by NBA

cool

• Cheers 1

Congrats to departing GM Gator and his Toronto Maple Leaves on quite possibly the only way a Toronto Team will win the cup, outside of the PWHL. 

hehe, A truly hard to win trophy, this GML one, just like the real deal. You did a great job with your team and made what turned out to be the right moves at the deadline, I am impressed. CHEERS

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Congrats to @Gator on his GML win!

Building off of my previous post, the Columbus Blue Jackets are absolutely thrilled with how the draft played out.

We went in wanting one of three players at 19th overall, who we had ranked at 13, 14 and 15 with very little separating the three. However, outlets like TSN, etc., had them ranked much lower than we did, so we felt there was a very high chance that all three would be available. That's why, on the eve of the draft, GM @Caboose and I agreed on the framework of a deal to trade down. We would move down 3 picks, and in return we'd move up in the second round and gain the 117th overall pick. This ensured we'd still get one of our three guys while also gaining an extra piece, so for us it was a no brainer. With the 22nd overall pick, we took one of the highest upside players in the draft: Cole Hutson. 

Around this time we discovered that we'd be able to trade into the second round, to pick 49, and pick up a B+ level prospect in Egor Afanaseyev. This was a prospect who we didn't think would be available, but had to give up a top 4 D-man in Mattias Samuelsson to do it. We welcome Egor to Columbus and wish Mattias all the best. We also thank @Relyt Krets for the back and forth negotiations. In the end, I think we both got what we wanted. 

Our next plan was to try and get at least one of the other two players we liked, but we didn't think either would be available beyond the first round. We had the 38 and 55th overall picks, along with the newly acquired 49th overall pick and wanted to try and nab one of our guys. Because we had pick 49, we felt comfortable dealing away two seconds to get the 26th overall selection, and then selected another high upside player: Terik Parascak. Our bet paid off, as the last of our three was selected soon after. 

The 49th overall pick was then used to select someone who we felt was a massive sleeper in Luke Misa. We felt he was a 1st round talent and was shocked to see that he was available. We think he has the potential to be a star in this league, although he does have a lot of question marks. 

Then came pick 55, and because we can't read, we selected a player we had ranked early in the second round. Apparently, so did Detroit because that's where he was picked. We had Daniil Ustinkov ranked soon after him, and do not consider him a consolation. In fact, we were stoked to realize he was still available as we reached our makeup pick. 

For pick 117, we had a player ranked in the 40's available to us. We drafted him. Sometimes life works out like that, and you get a solid second round talent in Marcus Kearsey in the 4th round. 

Huge thanks to everyone who made the draft a success!

Anyways, here's our current lineup heading into the offseason: 

Buchnevich - Hughes - Pastrnak 

xxxx - Pinto - Slafkovsky 

Kubalik - Norris - Brink 

Barre-Boulet - Shaw - Bastian 

Arcuri

xxxx - Faber 

xxxx - Trouba 

Thomson - Cernak

Phillips, Merrill

Nedeljkovic

xxxx 

We currently have $27 Million in cap space and we're looking to use it. If you're looking to trade a top level LW or LD for futures, we'd be happy to talk trade. Otherwise, we're going to be serious players in the UFA market. 

We're extremely excited to see how our team is shaping up. The cup will come to Columbus, it's only a matter of time. 

Edited by Honkin Hronek
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I have completed updates up to the middle of page 92.  Going to have to head off to rest before work, will get the rest caught up when I get back.

Everyone keep in mind the following up coming deadlines are coming as was posted by Mike V a few days ago!!

Friendly Reminder to our members that over the coming days we will be reaching signing deadlines as it pertains to the Free Agency period.

Deadline to sign pending UFAs - June 27, 2024 @ 11:59pm

once this deadline has passed, teams will not be able to sign any pending UFAs until Free Agency opens July 5th.

Deadline to qualify pending RFAs - June 30, 2024 @ 11:59pm

once this deadline passes, any pending RFAs not qualified will become UFAs.

Deadline to adjust Front Office Budget for 2024-25 - June 30, 2024 @ 11:59pm

You can only change your front office budget once between the end of the regular season and June 30. There are no exceptions. If you have not changed your budget then your current budget will roll over into the next period.

Initial Offer Phase of Free Agency - July 1-4, 2024

This is the date you can submit UFA offers or Offer sheets to RFAs for consideration, this is done over a four day period so as to provide our members flexibility with their schedules and ensure everyone has time to submit their offers. Nobody has the inside edge placing an offer July 1st versus July 3rd.

Free Agency Negotiations Open – July 5, 2024 @ 12:00am

This is the date you may start to see signings trickle in and for the most part will start receiving replies from agents for players.