Francesco Aquillini and Jim Benning --Tales of a Rebuild: Misconceptions, Misery, and Money

conquestofbaguettes

26 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

Hi there, you can watch the serie about Börje Salming. 
It has a little connection to Petey and the Canucks since Inge Hammarstöm is in there too.

Lol Remember Ballard stating in the rough and tough NHL days that Inge could go in the corners with eggs in his pocket and come out of it with not one egg broken😄

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

8yrs !

Didn't he want assurance on EVERY pick ?

it was actually 7 years but okay. 
Glad you can count. Shows how much you pay attention lol.

Considering Pettersson was ranked anywhere from 5-20 and mostly on the outside of the top 10, you need to be dead fuckin certain you’re taking that risk. The rest were taken quite close to where they ranked.

Cap recapture- You mean guys he spent picks and cap on, to sit on the bench, in the minors, on other teams and then give more pics to get rid of them shortly after?

Cap recapture? Are just ignorant or completely oblivious? This little thing that happened when Luongo retired early? Handing a very sizeable cap penalty to our organization.

Name these players who sat on the bench, were paid moderate-high salaries to play in the AHL are on other teams being paid? lol careful now, Allvin penalized us for how many years because of a knee jerk reaction out of panic? 
i could rip into this new management much harder in much less time spent with how many fucking stupid choices they have already made IN UNDER TWO FUCKING YEARS than you can with “8” years of Benning. I’d say the alarm bells should already going off if you want to complain about some under performers that led to buyouts or cap dumps.

Found names? -You mean the names that set us back and kept us at league bottom?

which names are you referring to?

COVID?

flat cap?

18 games in 30 days to start a season, 1 month shut down and no Petey for over half a season, 19 games in 30 days to finish the season AFTER COVID destroyed us?

Elias Petterssons extended hot boy summer? Pointless 24 games in the first 40?? Missed playoffs by 3 fucking wins? 
2nd round game 7 while rebuilding?

2021 no petey and COVID decimating us plus that insane schedule.. 24th. That aint the bottom and that season was hell due to a virus that caused a global pandemic incase you missed it while hiding under your bridge.

2021-22 18th?????? Benning fired, No changes made, Bottom of the league?? Say no to crack.

2022-23 22nd lmfao PA and JR finished lower than the Bennings team the year prior hahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAJA OMG

Like really dude??? You wanna blame a GM who had to rebuild, for where he finished in the standings??? Keep reaching for straws and moving goal posts.

Remove him from the scouting staff with the most consecutive highest round pics The Good and Bad ones  and tell me WHY HE WAS A GOOD GM?

CAN YOU READ?? I AM CAPSLOCK TO HELP YOU READ BECAUSE I ALREADY SAID WHY. HE BUILT THE INFRASTRUCTURE FOR PLAYER DEVELOPMENT RIGHT HERE IN OUR OWN BACK YARD, RFA NEGOTIATIONS, NAVIGATING THROUGH A FLAT CAP WHILE STILL GETTING NHL PLAYERS LIKE SCHMIDT AND HOLTBY TO FIT IN A FLAT CAP ON SHORT TERM. IAN CLARK, THE TWINS, BRACKETT. IDENTIFYING ISSUES IN OUR SCOUTING DEPARTMENT AND MAKING CHANGES TO HELP BRING SUCCESS, LISTENING TO THE PEOPLE HE EMPLOYED. MANAGING TO MOVE FAN FAVOURITES AND GET SOME VALUE IN RETURN. MOVING DAHLEN OUT ASAP AFTER FINDING OUT ABOUT HIS CHARACTER ISSUES AND GETTING KARLSSON.

NO GM IS PERFECT BUT HE WAS FAR FROM BAD

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

Lol Remember Ballard stating in the rough and tough NHL days that Inge could go in the corners with eggs in his pocket and come out of it with not one egg broken😄

With a bit of luck we might see a few live scenes from that era.

3 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

i

Considering Pettersson was ranked anywhere from 5-20 and mostly on the outside of the top 10, you need to be dead fuckin certain you’re taking that risk. The rest were taken quite close to where they ranked.

Inge Hammarström had Petey as number one in the draft and he was the scout behind Foppa Forsberg.

19 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

Inge Hammarström had Petey as number one in the draft and he was the scout behind Foppa Forsberg.

And is he part of rankings or is he giving his personal opinion? Because the rankings showed Pettersson anywhere from 5th (only once) to 20th mostly on the outside of the top 10.

How hard is that for you to understand? You can your opinion based off what you see but the consensus did not agree. You wanna take that risk and listen to one guy who doesnt give out final rankings? 

On 11/19/2023 at 12:02 PM, Wiggums said:

Anthony G = Benning's son.  

Confirmed.  

Are you sure?  Based on the below, I'd have thought he's actually @HOCKEYGOD77...

51 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

CAN YOU READ?? I AM CAPSLOCK TO HELP YOU READ BECAUSE I ALREADY SAID WHY.

... oh wait, I guess the two aren't mutually exclusive.  :hurhur:

Just now, AnthonyG said:

And is he part of rankings or is he giving his personal opinion? Because the rankings showed Pettersson anywhere from 5th (only once) to 20th mostly on the outside of the top 10.

How hard is that for you to understand? You can your opinion based off what you see but the consensus did not agree. You wanna take that risk and listen to one guy who doesnt give out final rankings? 

And Inge laughed loud at the rankings.

He said back when he pushed really hard for Foppa that he would have taken him before Lindros. That’s because he knew how much Foppa trained and lack of divalates and some charachter flaws Lindros had.

Inge got that right also since Foppa got a few cups and had 1.25ppg, Lindros 1,14ppg

So Inge pushed similarly regarding Petey with real draft success in the baggage to show.  Listen to what Inge says. 

8 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

He said back when he pushed really hard for Foppa that he would have taken him before Lindros. That’s because he knew how much Foppa trained and lack of divalates and some charachter flaws Lindros had.

Inge got that right also since Foppa got a few cups and had 1.25ppg, Lindros 1,14ppg

So Inge pushed similarly regarding Petey with real draft success in the baggage to show.  Listen to what Inge says. 

To be fair, Foppa got lucky the Montreal GM was an ass & dealt Patrick Roy to Colorado while he was still in his prime because he head coach he hired was a bigger ass.  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

11 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

Regarding the cups yes but not regarding ppg. 🙂

I'm still taking therapy after this moment (regarding Foppa):

image.jpeg.4cb01bce0fa2ecdeca33000d0f17419a.jpeg

heh, unless I'm remembering it wrong, but I think they even asked (former Canuck) Hirsch to "pose" for that (in order to recreate that moment).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I'm still taking therapy after this moment (regarding Foppa):

image.jpeg.4cb01bce0fa2ecdeca33000d0f17419a.jpeg

heh, unless I'm remembering it wrong, but I think they even asked (former Canuck) Hirsch to "pose" for that (in order to recreate that moment).

He liked to post on CDC but I’m not sure if he joined here.

1 hour ago, LillStrimma said:

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Are you sure?  Based on the below, I'd have thought he's actually @HOCKEYGOD77...

... oh wait, I guess the two aren't mutually exclusive.  :hurhur:

Good to know you comprehend capslock communication, I guess I was successful in trying to communicate with trolls. BACK UNDER YOUR BRIDGE NOW 

6 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Good to know you comprehend capslock communication, I guess I was successful in trying to communicate with trolls. BACK UNDER YOUR BRIDGE NOW 

Nah, as a human I'm pretty good living where I'm at now.  The bridge is better suited for you.

1 minute ago, AnthonyG said:

Yea the bridge is suited for me, underneath the bridge is suited for you.

Why are you adamant that he and others are the ones doing the trolling?

You do realize you're the one who's been going to bat for a former GM that oversaw one of the worst eras of hockey, not just in Canucks history, but in all of the NHL?

Surely, you have to realize you're the one who's been teetering closer to trolling territory than anybody else has in this discussion?

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, SV. said:

You do realize you're the one who's been going to bat for a former GM that oversaw one of the worst eras of hockey, not just in Canucks history, but in all of the NHL?

Surely, you have to realize you're the one who's been teetering closer to trolling territory than anybody else has in this discussion?

Mob mentality is for dummies. Just sayin. The blind leading the blind.

worst era of hockey? Yea its called a rebuild.
why did we have to rebuild? Because Gillis destroyed the window to win faster than any GM we’ve ever had. You are currently watching the new era of hockey, this has Bennings true finger prints on it. Not the twilight years of the Sedins, Bieksa, Burrows, etc. He built the era of Hughes, Demko, Miller, Pettersson, Boeser etc. 

The day the twins prime ended our window was closed. The moment the plateaued it was over. The hopes and dreams of a cup were gone.

use your brain. 

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

Really started wondering g about Benning’s self confidence when he showed up with a shoe polished head. That’s was just friggin’ weird. Owner should have fired him right then, 

he got the bus station special. Maybe he knew he needed to save money. 

29 minutes ago, SV. said:

Bure and Linden were an era

The WCE were an era

The twins were an era, that era ended 2017-18. 

The Pettersson era began 2018-19. If you say he oversaw the worst era, you should stop watching and find a new team because Benning gave us the next era of hockey. 

Troll harder bud, NJD 11 straight playoff misses, ARZ is a joke, Atlanta was a joke, Deadmonton Coilers are heading for yet another lotto pick. You are clueless as all hell when it comes to era’s and the sport of hockey itself. 

Just now, AnthonyG said:

Mob mentality is for dummies. Just sayin. The blind leading the blind.

worst era of hockey? Yea its called a rebuild.
why did we have to rebuild? Because Gillis destroyed the window to win faster than any GM we’ve ever had. You are currently watching the new era of hockey, this has Bennings true finger prints on it. Not the twilight years of the Sedins, Bieksa, Burrows, etc. He built the era of Hughes, Demko, Miller, Pettersson, Boeser etc. 

The day the twins prime ended our window was closed. The moment the plateaued it was over. The hopes and dreams of a cup were gone.

use your brain. 

How ironic.  Talk of mob mentality and "the blind" when the GM you rep was literally known for having a cult of followers and "fans" ("Bros" as they were known) that were unable to think, critique, and analyze for themselves about the team they supported.

So, tell me then, if this is the nature of rebuilds, why has virtually no other rebuild gone the way that this one did in Vancouver?  Why haven't other teams been cap-strapped, prospect-barren, and the like for nearly a decade? 

You see, while your first response will probably be to do as the former GM often did - blame everybody and everything else - the easiest explanation to accept is that the execution and decision-making simply wasn't good enough.  For your own sake, you should abandon the sunk cost you're holding onto and simply come to terms that it isn't a coincidence that all the other GMs who have worked here managed just fine.  And if that isn't good enough, come to see that the GMs outside of Vancouver, in both the present and immediate past, have never come close to seeing the lows that Vancouver saw for nearly a decade.

Perhaps, it's time to use your brain and see reality for what it is.  And I'll help you get started with a simple statement to sit on below:

Whatever success happens with the Vancouver Canucks going forward, be it a player winning a trophy, the team receiving an accolade, or even winning a Stanley Cup, the names recognized will not acknowledge or feature Jim Benning 🙂 

His "team" is not a thing and will never be a thing 🙂 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SV. said:

Ive actually provided stats, research, proof and Ive actually called more shit correct than any of you trolls on these forums. Trolling offers zero logical explanation or factual proof, research or statistics. Bring something to the table for once.

• Haha 1