Francesco Aquillini and Jim Benning --Tales of a Rebuild: Misconceptions, Misery, and Money

conquestofbaguettes

30 minutes ago, conquestofbaguettes said:

Benning had to build the whole organization from the bottom up. Rutherford gets to swoop in and build on all the work that was done before him.... and then apparently get all the credit. 

Well, here you can tell us what parts from the Gillis organisation that was shoved down the toilet and what parts of the organisation Benning built from the bottom up.

I’m all ears or eyes…

• ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

Well, here you can tell us what parts from the Gillis organisation that was shoved down the toilet and what parts of the organisation Benning built from the bottom up.

I’m all ears or eyes…

Trying to change the topic I see. Lol.

The point is the Gillis regime reaped the benefits of work that was largely done him by Burke and Nonis. Its a fact of life.

And the same can now also be said for the Rutherford regime reaping the benefits of work done before them.  Also a fact of life.

As Rutherford stated, "we have a lot of good players here."  Yes, yes we do, Jim.

And who do you suppose got all those, friend?

20231217_001744.thumb.jpg.40f77f28f394045110cff5e466a355e3.jpg

Deal with it.

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, conquestofbaguettes said:

The point is the Gillis regime reaped the benefits of work that was largely done him by Burke and Nonis. Its a fact of life.

And the same can now also be said for the Rutherford regime reaping the benefits of work done before them.  Also a fact of life.

As Rutherford stated, "we have a lot of good players here."  Yes, yes we do, Jim.

Deal with it.

So you can’t name a thing that Benning built from the bottom up? 

When you learn to read ”people” you find these Trump-copies here and there.

Benning isn’t exactly as Trump but he is from the same culture and that is bad for business.

But I believe that Aquilini had some pleasent times with Benning and his locker room talk that some males find amusing.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, conquestofbaguettes said:

Deal with it.

We finally found Jim Benning's burner account...  

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

7 hours ago, LillStrimma said:

Benning isn’t exactly as Trump but he is from the same culture and that is bad for business.

But I believe that Aquilini had some pleasent times with Benning and his locker room talk that some males find amusing.

Benning built up a good line of BS to the owner over that time… that kept him employed!

• ThereItIs 1

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

13 new players on the team since Allvin was hired, over a 50% turnover in just 2 years. Plus they went out and hired the coach they wanted. Pretty sure those 13 players are just as much responsible for the success of this team now as the “core” group that Benning brought in. You think Benning would have been competent enough to bring in Rick Tocchet who has the relationship with JR and Rutherford plus those 13 players who are all playing Rick Tocchet hockey and are all playing within a “system”?  A system that was non existent when Benning was around. 

A GM’s job isn’t just about drafting a bunch of players. As you can see from what JR has accomplished in just over two years, it’s a lot more than that. 

The people in this thread who claim that this is Benning’s team have no clue what it means to actually build a team. If all it took to build a team was drafting in the top 10 for a few years and drafting some core players, then teams like Buffalo and Edmonton would have won 3-4 cups by now. Why can’t these teams win a cup if all it takes is drafting some top end talent?

The 13 players outside of Benning’s 7 players have accounted for 114 points this year while Benning’s players have 194 points and the starting goalie. 

That’s double the production in half the players. 

Nobody said anything about the rest of what you’ve posted - I have Allvin credit and obviously depth is important.  But it’s not nearly as important as an elite core.  You would struggle - and likely fail - to make a package out of what Allvin has added to land one of Petey or Hughes.  Not without adding multiple picks.  Why is that such a hard thing for people to just admit? Benning didn’t “ruin the team” and that’s not a bad thing.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, The Duke said:

The 13 players outside of Benning’s 7 players have accounted for 114 points this year while Benning’s players have 194 points and the starting goalie. 

Nobody said anything about the rest of what you’ve posted - I have Allvin credit and obviously depth is important.  But it’s not nearly as important as an elite core.  You would struggle - and likely fail - to make a package out of what Allvin has added to land one of Petey or Hughes.  Not without adding multiple picks.  Why is that such a hard thing for people to just admit? Benning didn’t “ruin the team” and that’s not a bad thing.

Alvin had to come in and spend assets to get rid of problems Benning left behind.  Benning left a cap strapped bottom feeding team behind for Alvin, yes he left a very good core behind but the window could very well shorter than we expect because of the problems Alvin had to deal with.  Lack of prospects, cap space and assets after a decade of futility doesn't make any sense.

Alvin has brought in legitimate depth pieces he was able to find for cheap.  Benning spent truck loads of money on useless depth pieces regularly.  Benning wasted draft picks like never seen before.  The list of mistakes and bad moves is incredibly long.  He was able to draft some good pieces at the top of draft but completely failed and hindered our future trying to build around those pieces

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You sound like a Jim Benning apologist.  Sorry, but he had 8 years to fix things and by year 8 we were an even worse team on paper than in year 2.  Brock Boeser's dad dying made us a worse team.  Petey getting injured made us a worse team.  OEL's broken foot made us a worse team.  It's because of these reasons that we were really bad. 

We have progressively gotten worse not better since Benning took over.  It culminated in a disastrous start to the season in 2021 where we were 8-16-1 before Aquilini had to step in and fire everyone's ass.  Thank God.  I couldn't take it anymore.

In Allvin we trust.  Nobody cares about Benning anymore...

Unfortunately you're wrong.

1) yes the team did improve. Their record improved year after year up until the pandemic flat cap really took hold.  They even made the playoffs beating the Wild, the cup champs, and took Vegas to game 7.    If you're going to try to fling shit maybe get your facts straight.

2) taking an objective approach to a situation does not make one pro or anti anything.  But if you continue to view things thru a lense of false dichotomies, all or nothing, black and white, you will fail to understand this.

3) given your immature reactions using words like "apologist" or "Benning bro" we can all tell you very much do care about Benning. Lol If you didn't care you wouldn't be chiming in here let alone defending your largely misplaced hatred. 

Frustrated Buzz Lightyear GIF

10 hours ago, LillStrimma said:

Once again changing the topic and now resorting to ad hominems to boot.  LMAO. 

9 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

You opened the can of worms regarding Benning built everything from the bottom and then you just hide and run away…

No.

I'm pointing out Bennings core is in fact still here. Rutherford didn't tear down as many thought was neccessary as he stated "we have a lot of good players here." Who do you suppose got all those players he's talking about.

JR accomplished more? In what regard? Benning had to build the whole organization from the bottom up. Rutherford gets to swoop in and build on all the work that was done before him.... and then apparently get all the credit.   Sounds familiar. Sounds like Mike Gillis after all the heavy lifting was done by Brian Burke and Dave Nonis.

This is not to discredit the good work of the new regime by any means but only to say we stand on the shoulders of giants.

You've simply failed to understand what the previous regime did for Rutherford et al. just as you fail to understand what Burke and Nonis did for Gillis. The fact you even have to ask says it all.  Smh

7 minutes ago, conquestofbaguettes said:

No.

I'm pointing out Bennings core is in fact still here. Rutherford didn't tear down as many thought was neccessary as he stated "we have a lot of good players here." Who do you suppose got all those players he's talking about.

JR accomplished more? In what regard? Benning had to build the whole organization from the bottom up. Rutherford gets to swoop in and build on all the work that was done before him.... and then apparently get all the credit.   Sounds familiar. Sounds like Mike Gillis after all the heavy lifting was done by Brian Burke and Dave Nonis.

This is not to discredit the good work of the new regime by any means but only to say we stand on the shoulders of giants.

You've simply failed to understand what the previous regime did for Rutherford et al. just as you fail to understand what Burke and Nonis did for Gillis. The fact you even have to ask says it all.  Smh

As I said before… A GM isn’t a scout.

That Benning drafted Petey and Hughes is nothing more than his lucky star.

Another GM could have done a better job or worse due to the scouts, not the GM.

The GM is responsible for everything else regarding organisation and wich trades he will force through and contracts written.

The problem Benning created erased anything good he did.

Any GM with as many high draft picks as Benning do good if they have good scouts.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

As I said before… A GM isn’t a scout.

That Benning drafted Petey and Hughes is nothing more than his lucky star.

Another GM could have done a better job or worse due to the scouts, not the GM.

The GM is responsible for everything else regarding organisation and wich trades he will force through and contracts written.

The problem Benning created erased anything good he did.

Any GM with as many high draft picks as Benning do good if they have good scouts.

You just don't get it. Sorry.

2 hours ago, conquestofbaguettes said:

Unfortunately you're wrong.

1) yes the team did improve. Their record improved year after year up until the pandemic flat cap really took hold.  They even made the playoffs beating the Wild, the cup champs, and took Vegas to game 7.    If you're going to try to fling shit maybe get your facts straight.

2) taking an objective approach to a situation does not make one pro or anti anything.  But if you continue to view things thru a lense of false dichotomies, all or nothing, black and white, you will fail to understand this.

3) given your immature reactions using words like "apologist" or "Benning bro" we can all tell you very much do care about Benning. Lol If you didn't care you wouldn't be chiming in here let alone defending your largely misplaced hatred. 

Frustrated Buzz Lightyear GIF

Canucks record under Benning:

2014-2015: 48-29-5

2015-2016: 31-38-13

2016-2017: 30-43-9

2017-2018: 31-40-11

2018-2019: 35-36-11

2019-2020: 36-27-6

2020-2021: 23-29-4

2021-2022: 8-16-1

Canucks record under Rutherford:

2021-2022: 32-14-11

2022-2023: 38-37-7

2023-2024: 20-9-2

Benning took over a team that went 48-29-5 in his first year.  He then took that team and within 2 years it dropped all the way to 30-43-9.  By year 8 his team was 8-16-1 before his ass got fired.  In what delusional mind is that considered improvement?

Meanwhile, Rutherford took over the same team that was a 8-16-1 and within 2 years they are now at 20-9-2.  That’s considered improvement.  

So maybe you should get your facts straight before flinging crap in this thread about how this is “Benning’s team”, when over 50% of the roster has been turned over since he got fired, including all of the coaching staff, the entire Abbotsford organization and the entire management group.

As for me being immature, I’ve been following this team since the early 80’s, so I am old enough to have seen everything.  I actually used to be a Jim Benning apologist back in the day just like you.  The last straw for me was the OEL trade.  After that happened, I completely turned on Benning and never looked back…

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 3

5 hours ago, The Duke said:

Without Hronek, who is our only legit RHD, and without a capable backup we lose at least another 5-6 games. Without a top bottom 6 line with Joshua, Blueger and Lafferty playing Rick Tocchet hockey, we lose another 2-3 games.  Without Kuzmenko and Mikheyev, who is Petey actually playing with?  Without Zadorov, Cole and Soucy who the heck would even be dressing up and playing defence?  

You can’t just look at points and say “Benning’s guys”have gotten the majority of points so they are the key to the team.  Without Hronek, Hughes is nowhere near the dominant Dman he is today.  Without a capable backup, Demko would be overused and losing more games due to fatigue.  

This is really just common sense so not sure why it is even up for a debate.

If this wasn’t all true they why did our team suck pucks until Rutherford arrived?  Can you explain that?  The reason that was posted that our core finally starting to mature is a bunch of bs.  Without those 13 new players plus the new coaching staff this core would still be sucking pucks…

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Benning took over a team that went 48-29-5 in his first year.  He then took that team and within 2 years it dropped all the way to 30-43-9.  By year 8 his team was 8-16-1 before his ass got fired.  In what delusional mind is that considered improvement?

Meanwhile, Rutherford took over the same team that was a 8-16-1 and within 2 years they are now at 20-9-2.  That’s considered improvement.  

So maybe you should get your facts straight before flinging crap in this thread about how this is “Benning’s team”, when over 50% of the roster has been turned over since he got fired, including all of the coaching staff, the entire Abbotsford organization and the entire management group.

As for me being immature, I’ve been following this team since the early 80’s, so I am old enough to have seen everything.  I actually used to be a Jim Benning apologist back in the day just like you.  The last straw for me was the OEL trade.  After that happened, I completely turned on Benning and never looked back…

Because rebuilding teams with no stars are supposed to win all the games eh. lol.

The team is in a different place now in terms of player and team development.

You're essentially comparing apples and oranges, old timer.

And I stand by what I said. Their win column improved year after year. They even made the playoffs and beat Minnesota, the cup champs, and took Vegas to game 7.  Of course people like to ignore that part.

Yes, the core of this team, and a large part of the the work done by the previous regime is on full display right now.

For example even Casey Desmith. Who did they trade to get him again? And who got that asset to later turn into that?

There is no apology because no apology is even neccessary.  The only issue is you folks like yourself never had the premise right in the first place.

Once again I state we stand on the shoulders of giants.   Maybe spend a little time on what that actually means in this context.

Edited by conquestofbaguettes

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Without Hronek, Hughes is nowhere near the dominant Dman he is today.  

Wrong. He was one of the best before Hronek even got here.

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Without a capable backup, Demko would be overused and losing more games due to fatigue.  

Like any other goalie in the league. Lol. Means nothing.   And thanks for the Desmith reference. Who got them the asset to turn into him again? Benning.

Once again, we stand on the shoulders of giants. The work of Burke and Nonis before Gillis was a big reason that team became what it became. And a big reason for the team they are becoming now is due to the work of Benning before this regime 

It's just a fact of life. It is inescapable.

3 hours ago, conquestofbaguettes said:

Because rebuilding teams with no stars are supposed to win all the games eh. lol.

The team is in a different place now in terms of player and team development.

You're essentially comparing apples and oranges, old timer.

And I stand by what I said. Their win column improved year after year. They even made the playoffs and beat Minnesota, the cup champs, and took Vegas to game 7.  Of course people like to ignore that part.

Yes, the core of this team, and a large part of the the work done by the previous regime is on full display right now.

For example even Casey Desmith. Who did they trade to get him again? And who got that asset to later turn into that?

There is no apology because no apology is even neccessary.  The only issue is you folks like yourself never had the premise right in the first place.

Once again I state we stand on the shoulders of giants.   Maybe spend a little time on what that actually means in this context.

Haven’t you been telling us for the last 4 pages that Benning drafted all of our superstar core players?  Now all of a sudden they weren’t really superstars until Rutherford took over?  🤣

9 hours ago, Wiggums said:

Alvin had to come in and spend assets to get rid of problems Benning left behind.  Benning left a cap strapped bottom feeding team behind for Alvin, yes he left a very good core behind but the window could very well shorter than we expect because of the problems Alvin had to deal with.  Lack of prospects, cap space and assets after a decade of futility doesn't make any sense.

Alvin has brought in legitimate depth pieces he was able to find for cheap.  Benning spent truck loads of money on useless depth pieces regularly.  Benning wasted draft picks like never seen before.  The list of mistakes and bad moves is incredibly long.  He was able to draft some good pieces at the top of draft but completely failed and hindered our future trying to build around those pieces

Yes, but the magnitude of Benning’s successes, few and far between as they were are colossal.  Petey, Hughes, Demko, Miller and now it’s looking like Boeser will go down among the best to ever wear the uniform.  

Versus his negative legacy: which cap-wise really boils down to OEL, Garland and 2 seasons of Myers.  All 3 having pretty good seasons this year, if very much overpaid. 

I agree he should have had another blue chipper in the prospect pool or two, but beyond that we’re arguing rebuild vs retool and that was an ownership decision.  Allvin isn’t rebuilding either, he’s just doing a much better job retooling.

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Without Hronek, who is our only legit RHD, and without a capable backup we lose at least another 5-6 games. Without a top bottom 6 line with Joshua, Blueger and Lafferty playing Rick Tocchet hockey, we lose another 2-3 games.  Without Kuzmenko and Mikheyev, who is Petey actually playing with?  Without Zadorov, Cole and Soucy who the heck would even be dressing up and playing defence?  

You can’t just look at points and say “Benning’s guys”have gotten the majority of points so they are the key to the team.  Without Hronek, Hughes is nowhere near the dominant Dman he is today.  Without a capable backup, Demko would be overused and losing more games due to fatigue.  

This is really just common sense so not sure why it is even up for a debate.

If this wasn’t all true they why did our team suck pucks until Rutherford arrived?  Can you explain that?  The reason that was posted that our core finally starting to mature is a bunch of bs.  Without those 13 new players plus the new coaching staff this core would still be sucking pucks…

Allvin did a great job filling out the roster but this team is still led by the core.  Take away Kuzmenko and Mikheyev and Petey is still a 1C.  Take away Petey and those two are middle 6’ers.  Hughes was a 1D before Hronek and had similar stats with Ethan Bear once Tocchet took over.   Miller drives his line and paired with Boeser has been lights out.  I love Suter and Bleuger but Garland drives the 3rd line.  Who’s the next play driver on the team?  It could very well be another Benning holdover in Hoglander - though Lafferty has been great too.

We obviously wouldn’t be at our current record without Allvin’s moves - especially Hronek - but come on.  They’re support pieces.  

And it’s no coincidence we’re in this position because the core are all healthy and playing at the top of their games.  We’ve never had all our top players playing well at the same time since the Covid year where we took Vegas to 7.  We’re also getting the best coaching we’ve had since Green lost the room during what I’m assuming was sometime in the Canadian division.  Boeser moving on from his dad passing.  Petey and Demko’s health. Miller maturing into a leadership role.  A lot of “core” related reasons for the turnaround beyond the very good support pieces added by Allvin. 

Edited by The Duke

15 hours ago, The Duke said:

Yes, but the magnitude of Benning’s successes, few and far between as they were are colossal.  Petey, Hughes, Demko, Miller and now it’s looking like Boeser will go down among the best to ever wear the uniform.  

Versus his negative legacy: which cap-wise really boils down to OEL, Garland and 2 seasons of Myers.  All 3 having pretty good seasons this year, if very much overpaid. 

I agree he should have had another blue chipper in the prospect pool or two, but beyond that we’re arguing rebuild vs retool and that was an ownership decision.  Allvin isn’t rebuilding either, he’s just doing a much better job retooling.

Allvin did a great job filling out the roster but this team is still led by the core.  Take away Kuzmenko and Mikheyev and Petey is still a 1C.  Take away Petey and those two are middle 6’ers.  Hughes was a 1D before Hronek and had similar stats with Ethan Bear once Tocchet took over.   Miller drives his line and paired with Boeser has been lights out.  I love Suter and Bleuger but Garland drives the 3rd line.  Who’s the next play driver on the team?  It could very well be another Benning holdover in Hoglander - though Lafferty has been great too.

We obviously wouldn’t be at our current record without Allvin’s moves - especially Hronek - but come on.  They’re support pieces.  

And it’s no coincidence we’re in this position because the core are all healthy and playing at the top of their games.  We’ve never had all our top players playing well at the same time since the Covid year where we took Vegas to 7.  We’re also getting the best coaching we’ve had since Green lost the room during what I’m assuming was sometime in the Canadian division.  Boeser moving on from his dad passing.  Petey and Demko’s health. Miller maturing into a leadership role.  A lot of “core” related reasons for the turnaround beyond the very good support pieces added by Allvin. 

Yeah Petey is a 1C, but is he upper echelon top 5 - top 10 in the league without Mikeyev or Kuzmenko last year? No he was not. If you recall, EP40 was a below 70pt before those guys came here. Hughes was a top 10 dman prior to Hronek being here, now hes pushing Makar off the cliff on top of the mountain. To minimize the current regimes work is ridiculous as this main Benning core has crashed and failed for numerous years. To say its just strictly to them being just older and healthy is a pretty lame excuse, thats just assuming players just get better over time but fail to realize that not only do the support players play in their development but the environment as well. Brock Boeser has been trending downwards the last few years, management gave him new off season regiment, ditch Da beauty league, guess what? He's on pace for 50 goals ish. To maximize the pieces that were left behind by the previous regime by addition or substraction, thats in the GM job description

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Haven’t you been telling us for the last 4 pages that Benning drafted all of our superstar core players?  Now all of a sudden they weren’t really superstars until Rutherford took over?  🤣

or how Conquestforemployment mentioned "blaming the past GMs failures is just low hanging fruit" and he proceeds at going off at Gillis LOL

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Im not sure what these delusional Benning Bros were expecting when Rutherford got hired

" Hey Francesco, the other guy left me some good players, but I want to trade them all. I want to win, but I want all the credit because some nobody in CFF wont give me my due respect. The credit is gonna be mine, mine mine mine"

Its actually a real testament to Rutherford and Co. have done considering 2.5 years ago, this team was hot garbage, and now is not just a bubble playoff team, but one that might even win a round or 2

Geez that Benning win loss record, its just making me cry

• ThereItIs 1