[PGT] New York Islanders at Vancouver Canucks // November 15, 2023

Rubik

1 minute ago, Dankmemes187 said:

they were both not great but i noticed Juulsen more.. couple turnovers and bad touches with the puck...

Hmmm, maybe I missed some Juulsen turnovers.  What really stuck out to me was in the first 5 minutes of the game:  

Friedman went back into our zone ahead of the forechecker.  The Islanders' forechecker was a whole stride behind Friedman and for some inexplicable reason Friedman slowed down and got into a hacking and kicking match with the forechecker, trying to get the puck out/away.  Friedman missed the puck and then went ahead and chose not to throw a hit or run any interference.  Demko made the save, but it was the beginning of the trouble. 

1 minute ago, Dankmemes187 said:

wasnt friedman hurt though for a bit?

I don't think so, but I could be wrong.  He had a really bad shift in the 1st period, and I thought that coaches cut him out early.  

I've been wrong though, and I could be wrong here. 

10 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Really?  

I thought that Juulsen was perfectly fine.  He got some pucks back, made some breakout passes.  I thought that Friedman was much worst then Juulsen. 

This! Juulsen is a pretty solid bottom pairing guy, and he has the tools to improve and move up.  I think he has been gradually improving with the new coaching staff.

• Upvote 2

Just now, AatuD2 said:

I don't think so, but I could be wrong.  He had a really bad shift in the 1st period, and I thought that coaches cut him out early.  

He was injured for half a period.  And in the first few shifts.. Juulsen made a terrible pass in his own zone which caused a grade A chance literally causing a 2 on 1.. 8 feet away from Demko.  Juulsen is also noticeably slow on his feet.

4 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Hmmm, maybe I missed some Juulsen turnovers.  What really stuck out to me was in the first 5 minutes of the game:  

Friedman went back into our zone ahead of the forechecker.  The Islanders' forechecker was a whole stride behind Friedman and for some inexplicable reason Friedman slowed down and got into a hacking and kicking match with the forechecker, trying to get the puck out/away.  Friedman missed the puck and then went ahead and chose not to throw a hit or run any interference.  Demko made the save, but it was the beginning of the trouble. 

too be fair i missed the first half of the first period... cheers... perhaps we a re both right... or wrong...🤣

• Haha 1

Pretty bad game to be honest, turnovers everywhere, our D not looking great as it gets thinner, our PK was dreadful and our depth didn't do much but yet again, it's our stars, goalie and PP who save the day. Unreal performance from our top players. Demko looked bad at times but godly at times. Miller and Hughes with unbelievable games, surprising to see Petey take a step back lately (maybe because of his wrist) and now Miller's on a hot run, he might take the sole league lead soon. What a shot by Quinn as well to win it.

Tomorrow's going to be a tough b2b game, we should beat the Flames but I'm not sure how much energy we'll have left in the tank. Quinn played almost 30 minutes. Injuries starting to pile up too, this will be a tough stretch for us.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

This. People think we're overachieving due to how bad we've been, but we were actually underachieving those bad years. Now we're doing what we're capable of.

I think it's hilarious that people don't think we are. That's why I keep asking, poking fun at it. We could make the SC final and people would still question whether we are.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, conquestofbaguettes said:

We've been legit for a few years imho. Just terrible shit kept happening. injuries, deaths and all the rest.

Nice to finally see them play to their true capabilities.  😉

We've had the components, but not the defense or the structure. Really enjoying this coaching staff, we look far less predictable out there than we have for a long time.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

i read or heard someone talking about friedman and assumed he got a little shook up on the boarding penalty he drew

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

I think it's hilarious that people don't think we are. That's why I keep asking, poking fun at it. We could make the SC final and people would still question whether we are.

At this point we'll see very soon. It's mathematically hard not to be challengers at Thanksgiving.

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Allvin & JR got a ton of shit for that Hronek trade, including our most prominent media (Drance, Taylor, Brough, exc.) but they deserve of a ton of credit for identifying a good player at the right age (25 when we acquired him) & making the move for a good price.

Even at the time the price was fair 'market value' for prime-aged potential Top 4 RHD (Ristolainen, Montour, exc).

Loved the trade from the start, was the type of swing for the fences type of trade We've been needing. 

4 minutes ago, quattrob said:

He was injured for half a period.  And in the first few shifts.. Juulsen made a terrible pass in his own zone which caused a grade A chance literally causing a 2 on 1.. 8 feet away from Demko.  Juulsen is also noticeably slow on his feet.

yes and the puck came to him in the neutral zone and with tons of room and time just shot it up the boards which cause a turnover but we regained possession quick