[PGT] New York Islanders at Vancouver Canucks // November 15, 2023

Rubik

4 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I think it's hilarious that people don't think we are. That's why I keep asking, poking fun at it. We could make the SC final and people would still question whether we are.

Just tell people that this was the year that jim benning said we were going to be competitive, they will believe you then

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Allvin & JR got a ton of shit for that Hronek trade, including our most prominent media (Drance, Taylor, Brough, exc.) but they deserve of a ton of credit for identifying a good player at the right age (25 when we acquired him) & making the move for a good price.

Even at the time the price was fair 'market value' for prime-aged potential Top 4 RHD (Ristolainen, Montour, exc).

Drance was the most dramatic at the time lol. for me I loved the trade because It made sense for us as we we're trying to upgrade the D. I was convinced he was good dman after watching his youtube highlights.. 🥹

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Pretty bad game to be honest, turnovers everywhere, our D not looking great as it gets thinner, our PK was dreadful and our depth didn't do much but yet again, it's our stars, goalie and PP who save the day. Unreal performance from our top players. Demko looked bad at times but godly at times. Miller and Hughes with unbelievable games, surprising to see Petey take a step back lately (maybe because of his wrist) and now Miller's on a hot run, he might take the sole league lead soon. What a shot by Quinn as well to win it.

Tomorrow's going to be a tough b2b game, we should beat the Flames but I'm not sure how much energy we'll have left in the tank. Quinn played almost 30 minutes. Injuries starting to pile up too, this will be a tough stretch for us.

Our defense and even Demko at times, was an adventure tonight. I think that's the best I can describe it...

8 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

We've had the components, but not the defense or the structure. Really enjoying this coaching staff, we look far less predictable out there than we have for a long time.

Mostly injures sunk them last year with one Thatcher Demko. Replacement ahl goalies couldn't stop a damn beach ball, looking like the Oilers to start this season.  They would have been a playoff team last year if not for Demmers going down.

But of course I agree the new defensive and PK additions are a huge help, and coaching cannot be understated either.

Also, don't you mean we look far MORE predictable?  That's the whole point of "structure" and "pillars."  Players know what their jobs are, and they trust their team mates to do those jobs. Predictability! 🙂

Edited by conquestofbaguettes
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

Pretty

Dominant

Offense

my favorite analytics page is not popular cause they only update twice a year, but I imagine many of our players PDO must be in the high 1000's

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Lol ... we're now four years on from two years. 😉

well we ran out of time, so we extended the window...

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, conquestofbaguettes said:

Mostly injures sunk them last year with one Thatcher Demko. Replacement ahl goalies couldn't stop a damn beach ball, looking like the Oilers to start this season.  They would have been a playoff team last year if not for Demmers going down.

But of course I agree the new defensive and PK additions are a huge help, and coaching cannot be understated either.

Also, don't you mean we look far MORE predictable?  That's the whole point of "structure" and "pillars."  Players know what their jobs are, and they trust their team mates to do those jobs. Predictability! 🙂

No, I mean unpredictable, offensive zone at least. I've thought for the last couple of years, our offense has been really, "telegraphed". Teams were figuring out how to defend against us. We are firing from a lot more places on the ice now, shots are coming from everywhere, especially Hughes, he's shooting a lot more instead of just looking to setup a one timer. Teams are struggling to defend.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Pretty bad game to be honest, turnovers everywhere, our D not looking great as it gets thinner, our PK was dreadful and our depth didn't do much but yet again, it's our stars, goalie and PP who save the day. Unreal performance from our top players. Demko looked bad at times but godly at times. Miller and Hughes with unbelievable games, surprising to see Petey take a step back lately (maybe because of his wrist) and now Miller's on a hot run, he might take the sole league lead soon. What a shot by Quinn as well to win it.

Tomorrow's going to be a tough b2b game, we should beat the Flames but I'm not sure how much energy we'll have left in the tank. Quinn played almost 30 minutes. Injuries starting to pile up too, this will be a tough stretch for us.

I thought that we outplayed the Islanders.  We had 62% expected goals tonight.  

Our stars were good, but our bottom 6 carried the 5 on 5 play.  

Demko looked bad, especially on the goals against.  They went right through him, although the 1st goal was tipped in.  

Agreed on Petey taking a step back, he looks hurt to me.  Let's see what happens. 

Tomorrow will indeed be a tough game.  Meeting with a friend that's coming into town from Nanaimo.  Gonna be a tough spin-game to get him to watch the game with me.  He's an NBA fan ew throw up GIF

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Does he have a smile like JT Miller now?

Also is he high as a kite right now?

im sure he doesnt need the drugs for the smiles but man painkillers are too dang good... after my tooth extraction they gave me some t3's and they were way too good only took the one 

• Haha 1