[PGT] New York Islanders at Vancouver Canucks // November 15, 2023

Rubik

10 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Just wait until JR/PA have to re-sign them, and it'll be expensive... then they'll climb back out from under their rocks and start again...

They've got some tough decisions coming up with EP, Hronek, Kuz, Bows and managing the dead cap as well.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, spook007 said:

You must be so very young......  Life doesn't end at the late 30ish...

Hygiene has nothing to do with your teeth.

Go down town, and see if you can find a single NHL player hanging out with out any bird... teeth or no teeth...

I have an implant and it took forever to finally get finished… I just wore some dentures in the meantime.  You only look like a hobo when you’re eating. 😁

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, testycal said:

For those of old enough to remember...Joshua = Momeso Garland = Ronning Cole = Diduck Hughes = Reinhart Miller = Linden and so on...it is coming together and they have a full season to iron their issues out..hope it continues...could be a special year 

For funsies

Petterson = Bure 

Boeser = Adams 

Kuz = Courtnall 

Hughes = Lumme 

Hronek = Brown 

Shoot I actually like this team more hahah

11 minutes ago, Cocanuck said:

Agreed,, he has definitely improved his effort and is playing better..  i just hope that if he scores 45 or 50 he doesnt want 8 or 9 mill on next contract.   He is becoming a more complete player and can still work on his fitness and compete level but he is a complimentary player who happens to be in the right spot playing with a true play driver..   yes,, he does seem like a fine young man as well

The guy owes us a nice hometown discount for the many years of overpayment and the org being supportive and patient through that time. 

If he goes for max money, I would be highly annoyed. 

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

They've got some tough decisions coming up with EP, Hronek, Kuz, Bows and managing the dead cap as well.  

It’s early (but never too early for management I guess) to think about cap stuff.

It really comes down to how much Petey and Hronek want to squeeze Allvin. If they can keep a good internal cap situation with those two it could mean the difference between a cup or not with this group.  Miller and Hughes (3 more years after this one) only making in the 7s (and Demko 2 more years at 5) helps if they care about that stuff.  Kuz, Mikheyev and Boeser deals now look pretty reasonable if not flat out good as well.

Obviously they’ll make more, but maybe it’ll keep them out of the ludicrous range.  Keeping those two reasonable could mean keeping Garland or landing a true 2-3 guy to drive the second pair D.

For next year, having Suter and PDG locked in for another year cheap should really help.  But Joshua and Lafferty might get poached.

Big questions around what Myers and Cole will take to come back (assuming they hold up) top it all off.

Im not going to sit here in November and “worry” but it would suck to have our strong depth players get Leaf’ed away because we have to toss all our cash at the core / OEL buyout.

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

There sure will, but its good problems to have... 

This is an incredible team just now... Are they lights out every game, no, but they find ways to win... And have to say, the management team has done a fab job, filling in the blanks...

I think, they were all aware that it could be no or never with Peteys contract coming, and Demko +Huhges not too far behind, so they are going for broke this season and next, and then hopefully some of the holes but players leaving can be filled by prospects (Lekkerimaki and Willander for starters)...

There will definitely be tough decisions to be made, but for now lets enjoy the hockey being played... Its been a long time since the fans have had a team like this to cheer for.

@WHL rocks posted this earlier, so kudos belong there

image.thumb.png.2512d7034fd8995e7b003ad8c21fd591.png

what an unbelievable stat! To even be able to say "Canucks have a defenseman that is within spitting distance of Leetch and Orr while putting Suter, Coffey and Zubov in the rear view mirror is amazing.

Truly a pleasure to watch Hughes play, along with Petey, JT, Kuz, Honker, Boeser and the rest of the Canucks. As a long time fan, recently suffering some lean years, happy for this team and all the fellow Canuck fans.

We should take up a collection and buy Holland a Christmas card for passing on Hughes in the 2018 draft.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I was at the game last night…and it was all pretty much perfect (Kuz injury aside). The way the team and fans handled the Bo return (so classy), the performances of our top players, the comeback from two separate two goal deficits leading to the incredible winning snipe from our superstar D-man. Don’t remember the last time I was in the building and the roof came off like that. 

Top 3 scorers in the league, 2nd in overall league standings. Heady, heady stuff. I think the Soucy injury is going to hurt more than some might think it will, as you could see some immediate “stitching together” of our defense core last night. But we have built up such an nice bank of points, nothing short of an immense collapse is going to hurt us too much.

If Kuz is out I’d sure like to see Hog moved up to play with Petey and Mik.

I also should mention that seeing Hughes, playing at this level LIVE is something that everyone should endeavour to do.

Edited by Locke Lamora

44 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I know you need the players too but man I'm so impressed with Tocchet.  He'd be the runaway favourite for the Jack Adams at this rate.  I don't know if its that he's learned from his past coaching experience, or that its just that his style fits really well with this team's kind of mix. Worked with Allvin to get in players he wants.  A combination of those? Whatever it is, he just has the perfect mix of tough guy / teacher for this group. The Boudreau era was fun, and maybe the team needed to loosen up and have more fun themselves at the time, but Tocc is the kind of coach that this team can go far with.

It's a weird feeling having a gm that's smart 

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

@WHL rocks posted this earlier, so kudos belong there

image.thumb.png.2512d7034fd8995e7b003ad8c21fd591.png

what an unbelievable stat! To even be able to say "Canucks have a defenseman that is within spitting distance of Leetch and Orr while putting Suter, Coffey and Zubov in the rear view mirror is amazing.

Truly a pleasure to watch Hughes play, along with Petey, JT, Kuz, Honker, Boeser and the rest of the Canucks. As a long time fan, recently suffering some lean years, happy for this team and all the fellow Canuck fans.

We should take up a collection and buy Holland a Christmas card for passing on Hughes in the 2018 draft.

image.png

That could be posted every few pages and I’ll re-read it and smile every time.

• Cheers 3

10 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Just listen, its truly incredible. 'The experts' from April of last year. 

It’s funny because I had my own “crisis of faith” around this team after the Boudreau collapse as well.  

On paper they looked (not this good) but like a team who should be right in the thick of it for the playoffs. But instead they were playing the worst hockey I’ve ever seen out of a Canucks team since that abysmal 98-99 Messier/Mogilny disaster.  (Ironically another fairly talented roster that just explosively pooped the bed).

If I’m understanding this bite correctly, Drance in a weird way agreed with what I saw as well.  The team had the talent, but wasn’t right between the ears - and had a ton of bad habits.  He just didn’t believe they could work out of it (and agreed Tocchet was trying to push the right buttons.) 

I questioned the logic of bringing in Tocchet last year and not just letting Yeo tank it out… but I was wrong.

The turnaround we’ve seen this year has to be the result of a bunch of hard work behind the scenes.  The leadership group, to their credit, have all bought in as well. Tocchet, Foote, Gonchar, Yeo, the Sedins… all hands on deck ironing out deficiencies and getting people on the same page.  

Then Allvin did some serious work bringing in hard working “good in the room” pros who play a 2-way game largely from winning organizations. Cole, Soucy, Suter, Bleuger, Lafferty, Hronek, Friedman and DeSmith is significant turnover. While making some hard calls getting rid of Horvat and OEL (both very good players this year.) 

That coaches, leadership and management all committed to improving the professional effort and two-way accountability of the club is why we’re seeing this start.  Drance was being obnoxiously dramatic - but I can at least admit feeding him this monstrous crow didn’t happen without a ton of effort.

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

The Canucks are a Statistical anomaly, you click on Hughes and he's tops in every stat.   You go to Skaters and it's all Canucks. Goals, assists and points.  Its crazy but I'm here for all of it.  All of the Canucks bad luck had to even out at some point.  

It's the NHL Canucks. 1 team league

14 minutes ago, The Duke said:

It’s funny because I had my own “crisis of faith” around this team after the Boudreau collapse as well.  

On paper they looked (not this good) but like a team who should be right in the thick of it for the playoffs. But instead they were playing the worst hockey I’ve ever seen out of a Canucks team since that abysmal 98-99 Messier/Mogilny disaster.  (Ironically another fairly talented roster that just explosively pooped the bed).

If I’m understanding this bite correctly, Drance in a weird way agreed with what I saw as well.  The team had the talent, but wasn’t right between the ears - and had a ton of bad habits.  He just didn’t believe they could work out of it (and agreed Tocchet was trying to push the right buttons.) 

I questioned the logic of bringing in Tocchet last year and not just letting Yeo tank it out… but I was wrong.

The turnaround we’ve seen this year has to be the result of a bunch of hard work behind the scenes.  The leadership group, to their credit, have all bought in as well. Tocchet, Foote, Gonchar, Yeo, the Sedins… all hands on deck ironing out deficiencies and getting people on the same page.  

Then Allvin did some serious work bringing in hard working “good in the room” pros who play a 2-way game largely from winning organizations. Cole, Soucy, Suter, Bleuger, Lafferty, Hronek, Friedman and DeSmith is significant turnover. While making some hard calls getting rid of Horvat and OEL (both very good players this year.) 

That coaches, leadership and management all committed to improving the professional effort and two-way accountability of the club is why we’re seeing this start.  Drance was being obnoxiously dramatic - but I can at least admit feeding him this monstrous crow didn’t happen without a ton of effort.

Every one of those players also throw the body with aplomb and will throw down, if necessary.

This team is actually considered a very hard team to play against now. 

Listening to Gretzky talk about Hughes was awesome.  

• Cheers 2