[PGT] New York Islanders at Vancouver Canucks // November 15, 2023

Rubik

36 minutes ago, The Duke said:

It’s early (but never too early for management I guess) to think about cap stuff.

It really comes down to how much Petey and Hronek want to squeeze Allvin. If they can keep a good internal cap situation with those two it could mean the difference between a cup or not with this group.  Miller and Hughes (3 more years after this one) only making in the 7s (and Demko 2 more years at 5) helps if they care about that stuff.  Kuz, Mikheyev and Boeser deals now look pretty reasonable if not flat out good as well.

Obviously they’ll make more, but maybe it’ll keep them out of the ludicrous range.  Keeping those two reasonable could mean keeping Garland or landing a true 2-3 guy to drive the second pair D.

For next year, having Suter and PDG locked in for another year cheap should really help.  But Joshua and Lafferty might get poached.

Big questions around what Myers and Cole will take to come back (assuming they hold up) top it all off.

Im not going to sit here in November and “worry” but it would suck to have our strong depth players get Leaf’ed away because we have to toss all our cash at the core / OEL buyout.

Both players will expect maximum market value and if Boeser keeps scoring he'll expect a significant raise as well.

Kuz, imo, will be the odd man out

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Petey-Huggy-JT are 1,2,3 in NHL scoring and Brock is hovering down around #10. Tell me what the SN snoots would be doing if that were the Laffers? Canucks play a reall gut out game and it is 'crickets' on SN. Absolutely pathetic.

Joshua is blooming in front of our eyes. He had a fab game last night. 

But but but.... Mathews and Nylander.... spot on. Its embarrassing.....

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Both players will expect maximum market value and if Boeser keeps scoring he'll expect a significant raise as well.

Kuz, imo, will be the odd man out

The 2011 Canucks agreed to take a little less to stay together - I think Kes or Burrows got their hands slapped by the PA for going public with that.  That was a special group that grew up together, though. 

I’m ready to accept Petey getting 12x8 or something like that, but what do you think Hronek gets?  9x8?  

Will they even go 8?  I just hope Petey doesn’t “Matthews” it and take the shorter term as well. I like the idea of locking him up through his prime with this contract.

• Vintage 3

3 minutes ago, The Duke said:

The 2011 Canucks agreed to take a little less to stay together - I think Kes or Burrows got their hands slapped by the PA for going public with that.  That was a special group that grew up together, though. 

I’m ready to accept Petey getting 12x8 or something like that, but what do you think Hronek gets?  9x8?  

Will they even go 8?  I just hope Petey doesn’t “Matthews” it and take the shorter term as well. I like the idea of locking him up through his prime with this contract.

I think Pettersson will want to make a statement with his allegiance to Vancouver. At least I hope he will....

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

EP hit it harder at the all-star game.   And the hardest the puck was ever hit, is still Bobby Hull 120mph...with a wooden stick. 

Edit:  They used a police scanner. 

Petey's shot was about 103MPH, so not nearly as hard as Hronek's 107.9 MPH blast.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Obviously there's a lot of hockey to play this season and hroneck's numbers could drop.  If he continues, however, I could see the floor being $8-8.5m for him.  Term will be the interesting part as he is RFA.  Maybe he takes a smaller cap hit for a 1-2 year deal that gets him to UFA?

Petey is getting paid, no argument there.  The question is, are the Canucks willing to go that high, or do they want to spread the wealth and add to their depth.  I love Petey, he's my favourite Canuck, but I don't want to see them go down the same path as TO and Edm.

Vegas won because they have depth, that's what Van needs, imo 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

2 hours ago, Disgruntler said:

Can y'all imagine if we made the Cup final this year, only to face Boston again??

True story. Back in 2011, I had my wisdom teeth pulled. The first thing I said when I came to was that I dreamed the Canucks won the cup against Boston. Several months later, we were in the Final against Boston. I was so so so sure we were going to win because I'd had a "vision" of it. We all know how that ended, but maybe the vision was true and just a few years in the future 😉

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

56 minutes ago, spook007 said:

There sure will, but its good problems to have... 

This is an incredible team just now... Are they lights out every game, no, but they find ways to win... And have to say, the management team has done a fab job, filling in the blanks...

I think, they were all aware that it could be no or never with Peteys contract coming, and Demko +Huhges not too far behind, so they are going for broke this season and next, and then hopefully some of the holes but players leaving can be filled by prospects (Lekkerimaki and Willander for starters)...

There will definitely be tough decisions to be made, but for now lets enjoy the hockey being played... Its been a long time since the fans have had a team like this to cheer for.

Absolutely a good problem to have, but still a problem going forward.  I wish they'd have just waited a year or two on OEL, that two years of a $5m cap hit comes at a very bad time

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Petey's shot was about 103MPH, so not nearly as hard as Hronek's 107.9 MPH blast.

Gotcha, my broadcast said 100mph so I took that literally.   That's one hard shot!   And yes just checked, think it's the hardest in game shot registered to date.  

5 minutes ago, madrigal77 said:

True story. Back in 2011, I had my wisdom teeth pulled. The first thing I said when I came to was that I dreamed the Canucks won the cup against Boston. Several months later, we were in the Final against Boston. I was so so so sure we were going to win because I'd had a "vision" of it. We all know how that ended, but maybe the vision was true and just a few years in the future 😉

This is a nice spin, it is very well might come true

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Gotcha, my broadcast said 100mph so I took that literally.   That's one hard shot!   And yes just checked, think it's the hardest in game shot registered to date.  

Yeah, Shorty said 100mph, but it came out later that it was 107.9MPH. Third hardest recorded shot in NHL history, though of course, we've only recently been getting in-game data for that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, Shorty said 100mph, but it came out later that it was 107.9MPH. Third hardest recorded shot in NHL history, though of course, we've only recently been getting in-game data for that.

That's awesome.   Sure looked hard didn't it.    Al Mac,  Al Ifrate, Chara, Weber hard.    Also will say it's one thing to skate into a shot, another thing to nail a one timer.    Goose bumps! 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Absolutely a good problem to have, but still a problem going forward.  I wish they'd have just waited a year or two on OEL, that two years of a $5m cap hit comes at a very bad time

It does. but you gotta strike, while the iron is hot...

I think, they were concerned that Petey wouldn't re-sign, if they didn't start to win games..... or even worse, have doubts he wants to re-sign at all...

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

They've got so much more data then we do Stawns, but do hear you.   Wasn't a fan either.    Now it's time to start looking to trade another first.   If this team can pull off another JT Miller or Hronek deal, I do believe they could become contenders.   Before I didn't think they had much of a chance really.    I'm actually starting to believe again! Mrw GIF

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

It does. but you gotta strike, while the iron is hot...

I think, they were concerned that Petey wouldn't re-sign, if they didn't start to win games..... or even worse, have doubts he wants to re-sign at all...

No argument here.  I'm starting to think they're looking at a 2-3 year window to win, if Petey and Hronek take lesser cap hits and shorter term.  At that point, almost the whole core is up at the same time and a re-tool would be quite a ride 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

Obviously there's a lot of hockey to play this season and hroneck's numbers could drop.  If he continues, however, I could see the floor being $8-8.5m for him.  Term will be the interesting part as he is RFA.  Maybe he takes a smaller cap hit for a 1-2 year deal that gets him to UFA?

Petey is getting paid, no argument there.  The question is, are the Canucks willing to go that high, or do they want to spread the wealth and add to their depth.  I love Petey, he's my favourite Canuck, but I don't want to see them go down the same path as TO and Edm.

A player thinking "the cap is going up therefore most of it should go to me" is putting themselves before the team. I don't think Petey will do that. This leadership group is team-first and understand that a cap efficient team can win cups.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, stawns said:

I’ve wrestled with this as well.  

On the bright side, TO and Edmonton both went large on their stars during the flat cap era.  The idea being that the contracts are tough for a year or two, but eventually become advantageous as the cap rises.  Hilariously, they signed high and the price stayed high as the cap stagnated… and now they have to go back to the table on key pieces knowing the cap is finally going up again. Sucks to be them. 

The OEL penalty really is the fly in the ointment, though.  If only the league would give us a Luongo credit on our cap to give us a break for once.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, The Duke said:

No way hronek makes more than Hughes. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

A player thinking "the cap is going up therefore most of it should go to me" is putting themselves before the team. I don't think Petey will do that. This leadership group is team-first and understand that a cap efficient team can win cups.

I'd like to think that too, but all players get the max they can get.  Not just for themselves for for the players association as well.  Guys like Petey set the bar for everyone else.

Like I said, I could see both Petey and Hronek taking short term deals at a reasonable cap hit to give the Canucks an extra year or two on their window.

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Let's be real.   Kesler didn't take less, neither did the Sedins, it was the worst financial crisis we'd had since the great depression.   Burrows took less, and then was paid for it.   Luongo took a ton, all front loaded.   You have to go by cap percentage, and also look at what they'd done until their deals were signed.   

Edit:  As for now, Miller took a lot less cap percentage wise than one Sedin, even though he'd produced more.   Let's see what the rest do.   People forget that the core back then,  didn't allow for a winger for Kesler either.   Not a big winger well paid anyways.   We spend a lot on the D core as well.  Cap percentage.    The deals were actually in the supporting casts, but when they were well paid and given full clauses (Hansen).    It was a great team for sure, but they were all well paid compared to their peers back then as well.   And it did have its faults.   It was a little top heavy.   We paid close to 40% for four players.  

Edit:  And we traded for Kesler's winger in Booth.  And Ballard was added.  Both got bought out and it was pretty much exactly the cap savings we accrued from all the clauses. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That's awesome.   Sure looked hard didn't it.    Al Mac,  Al Ifrate, Chara, Weber hard.    Also will say it's one thing to skate into a shot, another thing to nail a one timer.    Goose bumps! 

The look on Millets face in front of the net was priceless.  I'm thinking all he did was hear it

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1