[PGT] New York Islanders at Vancouver Canucks // November 15, 2023

Rubik

32 minutes ago, stawns said:

Honestly, I think they'll pivot to a re-tool in 3 years and move out alot of the current core.

I'm not sure who you consider the core, but I would guess Pete and Quinn will get 8yr contracts.

Strong possibility Hronek gets an 8yr contract.

Depending on current goalie prospects Demko might get a shorter term or be traded.

Boeser gets a short term contract and Kuzy is traded.

Starting in 2027 Miller's NMC adds a 15 team no trade list.

Pretty much everyone else is walking, traded or signs a short term contract. 

You are correct in your assessment, but I think the retool will be a natural progression over

the next 3yrs.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland  dominated their shifts. I don't know what Tocc is doing with Joshua, but man he's getting the most of that guy. Garly is a little badger.

I noticed in the preseason how much offense Blueger generates and I also said Garland just needed to find the right line mates. I predict this to be a regular line which will provide much needed secondary offense.  

Garland/Joshua reminds me of the Ronning/Momesso and Ronning/Linden days. :classic_biggrin:

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

I noticed in the preseason how much offense Blueger generates and I also said Garland just needed to find the right line mates. I predict this to be a regular line which will provide much needed secondary offense.  

Garland/Joshua reminds me of the Ronning/Momesso and Ronning/Linden days. :classic_biggrin:

That's a fun comparison. If Garland continues like this he's worth the cap.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Let's be real.   Kesler didn't take less, neither did the Sedins, it was the worst financial crisis we'd had since the great depression.   Burrows took less, and then was paid for it.   Luongo took a ton, all front loaded.   You have to go by cap percentage, and also look at what they'd done until their deals were signed.   

Edit:  As for now, Miller took a lot less cap percentage wise than one Sedin, even though he'd produced more.   Let's see what the rest do.   People forget that the core back then,  didn't allow for a winger for Kesler either.   Not a big winger well paid anyways.   We spend a lot on the D core as well.  Cap percentage.    The deals were actually in the supporting casts, but when they were well paid and given full clauses (Hansen).    It was a great team for sure, but they were all well paid compared to their peers back then as well.   And it did have its faults.   It was a little top heavy.   We paid close to 40% for four players.  

Edit:  And we traded for Kesler's winger in Booth.  And Ballard was added.  Both got bought out and it was pretty much exactly the cap savings we accrued from all the clauses. 

I beg to differ on the Sedins and Kesler. They definitely took sweetened deals for the team. Canucks fans were over the moon at their cap hits and they more than exceeded their price ranges. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I beg to differ on the Sedins and Kesler. They definitely took sweetened deals for the team. Canucks fans were over the moon at their cap hits and they more than exceeded their price ranges. 

They exceeded their cap ranges yes.   But you have to go back and look at what they had achieved to that point MikeyD. 

Edit: Miller exceeded his cap range big time.  Do the cap percentages.   Luongo's deals were both massive.   Also look at the context back then.   It was going to be flat cap for awhile because of 2008-2009.  

Edited by IBatch

26 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I'm not sure who you consider the core, but I would guess Pete and Quinn will get 8yr contracts.

Strong possibility Hronek gets an 8yr contract.

Depending on current goalie prospects Demko might get a shorter term or be traded.

Boeser gets a short term contract and Kuzy is traded.

Starting in 2027 Miller's NMC adds a 15 team no trade list.

Pretty much everyone else is walking, traded or signs a short term contract. 

You are correct in your assessment, but I think the retool will be a natural progression over

the next 3yrs.

Again, I would t be surprised to see a big turnover in 3ish years

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, I would t be surprised to see a big turnover in 3ish years

The way these guys are gelling and playing more and more like a team, I see them wanting to stick together to have continued success. Having and wanting a winning culture is contagious. :classic_biggrin:

16 hours ago, RookieFan said:

Kuzy has such a patented smile, if that's gone that's a harsh reality of playing pro hockey. 

A reminder to us all on dangers of the game. Losing your teeth like that is bad for health and your appearance and even yet getting noticed by the opposite sex it's going to be a lot harder to attract women with a mouth missing teeth just sayin.

Yeah. NHL players have a hard time finding girlfriends/wives. [/s]

• Haha 2

There are people out there that want to die on Benning hill.  Yes, I can concede he made some good moves but let's be honest.  If Benning were still here we would still have Horvat, Miller would be traded and we wouldn't have Hronek. We would be 0-3 vs the Oilers and be underneath them in the standings.  Alvin and JR are the Unsung heros for this season so far.  They changed the culture and the standards of this team in less than 2 years.  And we're probability half a season behind schedule because of BB.  They literally had no choice but to bring Bruce back.  

Edited by Pure961089

17 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Hronek picked a great time to get his first goal, that was a Salo-like slapper. Sorokin barely flinched by the time it passed him.

And Hughes winner was a laser beam too, he changed the angle beautifully & Sorokin had no chance.

Even at 2-0 it felt like this team was still going to win. They battled hard all night. Great game tonight.

Al McInnes or Al Iafrate like imo. 

Saw the replay this early morning. What a bomb! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Easy now. Sedins reinvented the game in some areas. They scored at will for years.

We have a group of good talented players, but it's unlikely we ever see a duo work the puck like the Sedins.

Yes the Sedins invented the low cycle of the puck. My favourite Canucks players do sure. 

But we never had a Hughes. He’s essentially a first line Centre the way he plays :).

17 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Loved the trade from the start, was the type of swing for the fences type of trade We've been needing. 

the only problem is what happens next year we can't pay Hronek more than Huggy. And if Pete's taking 11+ yadayada OEL buyout etc can we remain competitive?