[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames // November 16, 2023

Rubik

40 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

The problem with him is his skating. He's too slow for the NHL. He can fill in in a pinch as 8D but the fact that his ceiling is a poor man's Luke Schenn does not bode well with me. 

Minus an emergency (7th man is already playing), you are right, he is WAY to slow for the NHL. Friedman is a good example of what a 7th guy needs to be; not noticeable out there in a good nor bad way. 

Bris and Hriose are our 2 AHLers that seem to look the part the best. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

there's no such thing as a scheduled loss. they need to find a way to beat teams they are suppose to beat b2b or not. if say we have 13 b2b games with travel scheduled against struggling bad teams you are ok to lose all of them because it's a "scheduled loss"? Toronto played ottawa and then traveled home to beat vancouver.. is that a scheduled loss for them too considering vancouver was rested? they haven't been on their A game for the last 4-5 games now and they need to snap out of it.

Well, human body, mind and spirit have limitations. Through a rigorous training routine we can push these limitations, but it takes time.

We have a great group of players committed to winning.

Let’s give them some time.

PS Toronto example is irrelevant since they play most of their games in the same time zone

• Cheers 1

I keep harping on this but I REALLY think the bottom 6 needs the Aman Bleugar combo.  Those 2 play with pace, are 2 way forces that generally force play into the OZ given how hard they work.  If you put Lafferty on their RW the line becomes that much harder to play against or, if Linus Karlsson finds his way maybe he can be a bit more of an offensive threat.  Point is, that combo helps drive play and forces other teams to work (esp. in a match up role).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RolexSub said:

This game sort showed us what we looked like last year and definitely lacking toughness once again. Huggy Bear was hit and so did Petey but no one to the rescue. If we were to make the playoffs this year we definitely need to address the toughness. We don't need a goon but just need guys to show up and stand up for each other. 

Hronek stepped up nicely after the Hughes hit.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Missed the game... How did Karlsson do on his debut?? NHL material??

Yeah, he didn't look out of place at all. 

He hit a crossbar and had a couple of good wraparound attempts. Hoglander said that they have some chemistry together as they played in Abby on the same Swedish House Mafia line 🙂

Karlsson was hard to knock off the puck and definitely looked NHL material. Nothing wrong with bringing him back next year as a 13th forward. 

• Cheers 3

21 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

Hronek stepped up nicely after the Hughes hit.

He did, but he just gave Pospisil a face wash, and Flames got the advantage there by taking our 2nd best dman off the ice for two minutes.  

I like what Hronek did, but we really need a bigger deterrent then the whole "toughness by committee" option. 

I really wanted Lucic as our 13th forward but Boston snapped him up first and he's a great fit for them plus a fan favourite.  

Vancouver really needs a good fighter, we haven't had one since Hordichuk. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Per Tocchet a few days ago, Wolanin is dealing with minor tweaks

Yeah I saw that interview. I think he said it was like 50/50 on who they were gonna call up. Wolanin should be better now though right? Has he missed any Abby games? 

By the way, I'm good with whatever management decides whether it be Wolanin, Hirose or McWard etc

1 hour ago, BC_Hawk said:

Minus an emergency (7th man is already playing), you are right, he is WAY to slow for the NHL. Friedman is a good example of what a 7th guy needs to be; not noticeable out there in a good nor bad way. 

Bris and Hriose are our 2 AHLers that seem to look the part the best. 

Agreed. 

It's unfortunate Bris is injured. He would have done well in this role I think. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Steamer4GM said:

was I the only one that saw that Petey was the one to tip in the Lame's 2nd goal? It was clear as day to me in 2 replay angles and I was puzzled by Tomlinson and Shorty making no mention of it

Seriously 

Did others see that in real time or no?

Plz don’t make me have to dig thru the GDT. 

1 minute ago, Steamer4GM said:

Seriously 

Did others see that in real time or no?

Plz don’t make me have to dig thru the GDT. 

I think that's why Petey is playing with a bit of a scowl ... he really has the goal-scoring lead, it's just that some are into his own net

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tofu_Bud said:

I keep harping on this but I REALLY think the bottom 6 needs the Aman Bleugar combo.  Those 2 play with pace, are 2 way forces that generally force play into the OZ given how hard they work.  If you put Lafferty on their RW the line becomes that much harder to play against or, if Linus Karlsson finds his way maybe he can be a bit more of an offensive threat.  Point is, that combo helps drive play and forces other teams to work (esp. in a match up role).  

Karlsson was brought up to temporally play due to Kuzy's injury.  He has already been sent back to

Abby.  Aman might be a good fit with Bluegar, but one of the regular FW would have to be waived to

go to Abby. They can't have more than 23 signed players.  Perhaps we'll see Aman called up later on

when there's another injury.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Karlsson was brought up to temporally play due to Kuzy's injury.  He has already been sent back to

Abby.  Aman might be a good fit with Bluegar, but one of the regular FW would have to be waived to

go to Abby. They can't have more than 23 signed players.  Perhaps we'll see Aman called up later on

when there's another injury.

Barring injuries, of course there would have to be some roster movement beforehand.  Garland/Beauvillier being the two most obvious.

Alan has already shown he is a good fit w TB. Re watch the last preseason game vs CGY. W Studnicka those three absolutely crushed it. 

10 minutes ago, Tofu_Bud said:

Barring injuries, of course there would have to be some roster movement beforehand.  Garland/Beauvillier being the two most obvious.

Alan has already shown he is a good fit w TB. Re watch the last preseason game vs CGY. W Studnicka those three absolutely crushed it. 

I don't think of preseason games as comparable to regular NHL games.  Aman is young and doing well

in Abby.  He'll probably get a chance at some point.  Studnicka was waived to Abby recently and will

probably stay there for awhile.  Right now, they have a full complement of players.

Moving contracts right now is very difficult.  As teams start to pile up with injuries a trade might

happen, but it will likely be for another player(dman).

59 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

He did, but he just gave Pospisil a face wash, and Flames got the advantage there by taking our 2nd best dman off the ice for two minutes.  

I like what Hronek did, but we really need a bigger deterrent then the whole "toughness by committee" option. 

I really wanted Lucic as our 13th forward but Boston snapped him up first and he's a great fit for them plus a fan favourite.  

I want Jack McBain from ARZ, he's big, tough and can play. I don't see the Yotes giving him away though.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

I want Jack McBain from ARZ, he's big, tough and can play. I don't see the Yotes giving him away though.

Big mean center that doesn't cost much? Yeah, I'd love to get him too. I know that he dropped to fourth line there for a bit so there might be a chance. 

2 hours ago, RolexSub said:

This game sort showed us what we looked like last year and definitely lacking toughness once again. Huggy Bear was hit and so did Petey but no one to the rescue. If we were to make the playoffs this year we definitely need to address the toughness. We don't need a goon but just need guys to show up and stand up for each other. 

This is what ticks the box for Zad. He would have handled there new big pest in front of our net. We really missed Soucy. 

1 hour ago, AatuD2 said:

I am divided on a good fighter (Yes to a good player like a Bieksa who could do both)- but what team doesn't want that?

I too wanted a fighter, but now prefer team toughness

One reason i would be concerned about is, a guy hits our guy and fighter takes a penalty or us off the power play and teams then make that a strategy

Instead of someone retaliating immediately, I would rather see us take the power play, hit the aggressor cleanly each shift get up a few goals and then have someone

make him pay

I still remember reading Lee Fogolin say Gretzky discouraged unfair hits in. "If a guy ran him, Wayne would embarrass that guy , He'd score six or seven points on him. I saw him do it night after night."

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

I still remember reading Lee Fogolin say Gretzky discouraged unfair hits in. "If a guy ran him, Wayne would embarrass that guy , He'd score six or seven points on him. I saw him do it night after night."

I remember when Dave Semenko was no longer watching his back, Gary Suter crosschecked him very hard into the boards from behind (think he had recurring back issues flare up to the point he retired earlier than he'd like to).  Yes, the same Gary Suter that also essentially ended the career of Paul Kariya via a crosscheck to his head.

edit:  though I do know that Lucic, in his prime, was on the ice when Matt Cooke ran Savard with one of his usual cheapshots.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I remember when Dave Semenko was no longer watching his back, Gary Suter crosschecked him very hard into the boards from behind (think he had recurring back issues flare up to the point he retired earlier than he'd like to).  Yes, the same Gary Suter that also essentially ended the career of Paul Kariya via a crosscheck to his head.

edit:  though I do know that Lucic, in his prime, was on the ice when Matt Cooke ran Savard with one of his usual cheapshots.

Pounding the perpetrator doesn’t stop dirty play on stars. Dirty play on stars controls that. I think it was Yzerman who told one of his teammates to stop the dirty stuff on another team’s star because it was causing him to get run at. 
If a player targets one of our stars then we target that player’s star teammates. And we do it worse. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Wasn't that hit from Suter in Canada Cup or something similar?

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, RolexSub said:

The trouble is, if a team cheap shots our stars and they don't have any stars for us to go after, then where do we stand?  🤔

Pospisil is a 23 year old Slovak national who is playing for league minimum and trying to carve out a career for himself any way he can.  He's 6'2" but only 180 lbs so not really a candidate for a career as a tough guy.  Is there some kind of underlying hate between Czech's and Slovak's?  It wasn't long ago that they were the same country.  I think somebody who comes from North America which has more of a fighting tradition is better than sending one of our Euro's who may not have had a proper fight before. 😆  There are several players on the Canucks who could tune up Pospisil properly. 

Since our pp is ticking along at over 30% I imagine the word in the room is to let the pp be our revenge.

• Cheers 1