[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames // November 16, 2023

Rubik

19 minutes ago, Dom said:

Somehow, some way, management HAS to address the D. I'm sure they know it, just as well as we do. Now it's a matter of accomplishing something. 

With what trade capital?

Any of the last draft prospects you'd be insane to trade. Because the defence is what this team needs.

So that leaves you with.

Garland, Beau, Our 1st round pick this year, Lekkerimaki, Hogs, Klim, and Silovs.

You'd be lucky to get an above average d-man for a package. No way in hell will you get an elite RHD.

Wake up and smell the coffee. We'd have to hope someone from the farm gets called up and plays lights out.

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

With what trade capital?

Any of the last draft prospects you'd be insane to trade. Because the defence is what this team needs.

So that leaves you with.

Garland, Beau, Our 1st round pick this year, Lekkerimaki, Hogs, Klim, and Silovs.

You'd be lucky to get an above average d-man for a package. No way in hell will you get an elite RHD.

Wake up and smell the coffee. We'd have to hope someone from the farm gets called up and plays lights out.

Didn’t 18OA get us Hronek? He’s a great player and only 25 when we got him. 

21 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If you think this loss was bad. San Jose beat St. Louis.

The Blues won a Cup.

This game was bad. They were exhausted, tired in Game 17. I sure hope the boys can get some rest and recover soon because the season just f'n started.

So, DeSmith has never beaten Calgary, ever, so sure! Let's start him!

After watching that mistake-filled mess, my thoughts were that half the league will eventually catch up to the Canucks.

ho-hum, bring on the Kraken

24 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

The Blues won a Cup.

This game was bad. They were exhausted, tired in Game 17. I sure hope the boys can get some rest and recover soon because the season just f'n started.

So, DeSmith has never beaten Calgary, ever, so sure! Let's start him!

After watching that mistake-filled mess, my thoughts were that half the league will eventually catch up to the Canucks.

ho-hum, bring on the Kraken

Four years ago. Not entirely sure what that has to do with what happened yesterday. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Silent Man said:

Last night it was B2B with travel and time change.

Plus they spent a week in EST zone.

Scheduled loss, players are not machines.

Would be nice to have 2 days between games now, but it is what it is.

there's no such thing as a scheduled loss. they need to find a way to beat teams they are suppose to beat b2b or not. if say we have 13 b2b games with travel scheduled against struggling bad teams you are ok to lose all of them because it's a "scheduled loss"? Toronto played ottawa and then traveled home to beat vancouver.. is that a scheduled loss for them too considering vancouver was rested? they haven't been on their A game for the last 4-5 games now and they need to snap out of it.

9 hours ago, JamesB said:

5. Petey and Hughes are getting worn down. Despite the early goal (Petey from Miller and Hughes), Petey and Hughes had ugly stat lines.

6. Hope the team gets some rest and comes back strong on Saturday. Really hope the Suter/Garland/Joshua line is reunited. And I think the team needs a better solution to cover for Soucy's injury than the approach they took tonight. And if Kuzy could play that would be big boost.

It's a good thing we had the great start to the season, but with Petey and Hughes getting worn down isn't a good thing. Yet we have a long way to go through the season. The season is gonna get tough, and injuries to Soucy and Kuz could hurt us until their return. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

Actually the pp's were 5-4.

And it's not so much about them evening out, it's about the slashes that the Flames were getting away with. Those can do damage/hurt. There were 3 uncalled slashes that I saw...those need to be called. Perspective, for me, means especially so when considering that Quinn was the only one who got called for a slash and it didn't look like much. The linesmen also were too involved and in the way.

It's not why we lost, but it does contribute.

Team was gassed and off. Happens.

People reading too much into things and analyzing the team in a negative light need to understand that teams do have off games. They get sloppy and tired and this team has shown that they can regroup and refocus. Their record can't just be attributed to "luck"....they have a lot of skill and are learning to win games. Just not last night (dammit, suck it Flames).

Also, I can tell you this for free....Pospisil needs a wordless stern talking to. 

My post was in reference to the Islanders game. Responding to a post that was saying canucks are always on the losing end of the reffing. 

Despite seeing some calls not go our way(NYR trip). I think the reffing has felt a little more even this year.

Except wtf was up with the linesman last night? He must have set a record for most toss outs on faceoffs ever!

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I think there might be a bit of overreaction going on here....

It was a clunker. No question. But calls for management to "fix" the defense are premature, IMO. Guys like Juulsen, Friedmand, Hirose and Wolanin are all going to get their chances to show what they can do, as inevitable injuries arise. We have to remember that these guys are making the jump from the AHL and mistakes are expected as they acclimatize to the speed of the NHL game.

From what I saw last night, the Canucks showed an overall lethargy, (be it because of the back to back, or just one of those things) meaning it wasn't just the call-ups that had an off night.

The start the team was on just was not sustainable over 82 games. Their shooting percentage was astronomical and their goaltending otherworldly. Both of those things were pretty much guaranteed to come back to the pack, at least somewhat. The real test is going to be how they respond after two consecutive mediocre efforts. (If not for the double penalty to the Isles, we're probably talking about a 2 game losing streak)

They have 4 of their next 6 against teams that are under .500 (2 each against the Kraken and Sharks) If they continue to struggle through that stretch, then maybe it will be time to consider a move.

^ Voice of reason.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

It's a good thing we had the great start to the season, but with Petey and Hughes getting worn down isn't a good thing. Yet we have a long way to go through the season. The season is gonna get tough, and injuries to Soucy and Kuz could hurt us until their return. 

I agree, the good start will keep the panic away for a while, anyway

Petey and Hughes were getting roughed up in the game, no pushback from the Canucks. This won't fare well IF they make the playoffs. Team needs more toughness to protect its stars. Joshua is not the answer as far as "tough guy". 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blue said:

Linus Karrlson is a good hockey name. The kid had 5 sog. Was a plus player. 

I posted in his thread

Linus had a good game yesterday, fine first NHL game.

Over all good play, but what really jumped out, to me, was his efforts to always be on the defensive side of the puck. A few times while against the boards, in the offensive zone, and going for the puck; he would skate he extra two feet, then spin to keep himself between the puck and his net.

Kind of sad his couple of chances didn't result in a goal for him.

• Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I think there might be a bit of overreaction going on here....

It was a clunker. No question. But calls for management to "fix" the defense are premature, IMO. Guys like Juulsen, Friedmand, Hirose and Wolanin are all going to get their chances to show what they can do, as inevitable injuries arise. We have to remember that these guys are making the jump from the AHL and mistakes are expected as they acclimatize to the speed of the NHL game.

From what I saw last night, the Canucks showed an overall lethargy, (be it because of the back to back, or just one of those things) meaning it wasn't just the call-ups that had an off night.

The start the team was on just was not sustainable over 82 games. Their shooting percentage was astronomical and their goaltending otherworldly. Both of those things were pretty much guaranteed to come back to the pack, at least somewhat. The real test is going to be how they respond after two consecutive mediocre efforts. (If not for the double penalty to the Isles, we're probably talking about a 2 game losing streak)

They have 4 of their next 6 against teams that are under .500 (2 each against the Kraken and Sharks) If they continue to struggle through that stretch, then maybe it will be time to consider a move.

I think your post is mostly accurate. To canucks credit we have not lost 2 in a row, so they know not to let things start sliding.

I will say I agree that the team is not playing like a 12-4-1 team the last 5-6 games.

Honestly I don't know if the canucks technically were the better team in any of the last 4-6 games. Maybe the Montreal game. 

I think it started going back to the last edmonton game. Canucks did not start the game looking sharp and ready. Edm really took it to us if I'm being honest.

Ottawa definitely outplayed us, we just got a couple quick ones on them.

Toronto outplayed us. Montreal was a close game. NYI had us hemmed in a lot, and we desperately needed all 6 of our powerplays to stay in that game.

Last night the Flames were definitely controlling the game. We could barely enter the offensive zone successfully in the 2nd or 3rd.

To summarize, I think the team has been playing some clunkers for a while, and folks are noticing that. We are making excuses for each individual game, but the fact is they have not been the better team in any of those games despite winning most of them. That isn't sustainable by any means.

I'm not criticizing the team or the players. We are still among the league lead, but if things don't turn around quickly that will start to change, and it can change very very quickly if other teams start rolling.

• Cheers 1