[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames // November 16, 2023

Rubik

13 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I think your post is mostly accurate. To canucks credit we have not lost 2 in a row, so they know not to let things start sliding.

I will say I agree that the team is not playing like a 12-4-1 team the last 5-6 games.

Honestly I don't know if the canucks technically were the better team in any of the last 4-6 games. Maybe the Montreal game. 

I think it started going back to the last edmonton game. Canucks did not start the game looking sharp and ready. Edm really took it to us if I'm being honest.

Ottawa definitely outplayed us, we just got a couple quick ones on them.

Toronto outplayed us. Montreal was a close game. NYI had us hemmed in a lot, and we desperately needed all 6 of our powerplays to stay in that game.

Last night the Flames were definitely controlling the game. We could barely enter the offensive zone successfully in the 2nd or 3rd.

To summarize, I think the team has been playing some clunkers for a while, and folks are noticing that. We are making excuses for each individual game, but the fact is they have not been the better team in any of those games despite winning most of them. That isn't sustainable by any means.

I'm not criticizing the team or the players. We are still among the league lead, but if things don't turn around quickly that will start to change, and it can change very very quickly if other teams start rolling.

We played 5 games in 8 days and in 5 different cities. Guys had no juice. But coach Tocchet pointed out that on those nights the players need to learn to be more careful with the puck. No excuses. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sativika said:

Truth be told, I'm a Canucks fanboy through and through. In the old days if I couldn't watch a game live, I'd tape it on the ol' VHS to watch later after work. Of course now I PVR the games to watch later. Difference between now and then is that others watch the game live or get updates on their mobiles, which I don't do. My co-workers know that I PVR games so they don't tell me stuff. But occasionally they let slip. But in that event, so what. I'm such a fanboy I still will watch the game afterwards!

Yeah, I'm a homer, for sure.  I remember some of the dark days in the 80s and 90s, when some of my friends would give me a hard time for wasting time watching the games when I could be doing things with them.  But there was always hope.

I almost always watch it delayed, although often only by an hour or so, so I can skip ads and intermissions, etc.  Now that my wife no longer follows it, I can jump ahead more quickly to save some time.  And, living down in California now, it is far less likely that I hear any results ahead of time, especially now that Mom is trained not to talk about the games until I give her the-clear sign.

• Haha 2

IMG_1242.png.3bbd45aff55f11c8f6371ede26d56f1c.pngIMG_1241.png.9a498e291af54d8916509c6193f1b167.png

despite losing 5-2, structurally in our own zone we werent giving up high concentration of slot shots in the same spots. Sucks to lose, but looking at the heatmap I feel a little more reassured that we will win more games than lose when the hot spots look like that especially considering the amount of games we have played and coming off a back to back. The structure we play with will give us a chance every night. We had a higher concentration a few feet out from the crease. Calgary kinda just peppered us from everywhere.

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I posted in his thread

Linus had a good game yesterday, fine first NHL game.

Over all good play, but what really jumped out, to me, was his efforts to always be on the defensive side of the puck. A few times while against the boards, in the offensive zone, and going for the puck; he would skate he extra two feet, then spin to keep himself between the puck and his net.

Kind of sad his couple of chances didn't result in a goal for him.

Good on RT for throwing him out there on that late PP as well. Came really close IIRC.....

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

IMG_1242.png.3bbd45aff55f11c8f6371ede26d56f1c.pngIMG_1241.png.9a498e291af54d8916509c6193f1b167.png

despite losing 5-2, structurally in our own zone we werent giving up high concentration of slot shots in the same spots. Sucks to lose, but looking at the heatmap I feel a little more reassured that we will win more games than lose when the hot spots look like that especially considering the amount of games we have played and coming off a back to back. The structure we play with will give us a chance every night. We had a higher concentration a few feet out from the crease. Calgary kinda just peppered us from everywhere.

That's been the case for most of the games, the teams structure has been better than most opponents this season. Calgary should be sending the league a gift basket for getting the Canucks after a eastern road trip and road B2B.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Wow... What a game!!  Talk about a tale of two cities or, as the case may be, two games.

Wednesday night hosting the Pisles, the officiating was unusually steeped in our favour and clearly gave us an edge in odd man play and, ultimately, the victory.

Of course, with life and sporting events being so fluid, we can never be too certain about cause and effect so who's to say that a bad call against doesn't alter the flow of play in such a way that the 'victim' eventually wins the game due to the intangible impacts of the call and how  the team(s) respond.

Fair to say though, the neglected call when Miller was driven into DeSmith's net, the non-call when Garland was bloodied and dumped near the Lames' bench and the weak tripping call on Garland to take us off the man advantage could easily have been game changers. The non-call on Garland in particular seemed to really deflate the team as it appeared Cgy were getting away with anything and the game just was not going our way at that point. As much as we'd like our guys to be able to shake off anything the opposition and game flow throws at them, they are human and it's tougher to bounce back from that kind of stuff when fatigued and fading

As mentioned in GDT, I had to hit a yoga class midway through game so wasn't able to ask in real time but was I the only one that saw that Petey was the one to tip in the Lame's 2nd goal? It was clear as day to me in 2 replay angles and I was puzzled by Tomlinson and Shorty making no mention of it. You could see Petey's face sage considerably as it went in and he realized what had happened also. Felt bad for the guy.

Much like the Laffs loss, I reallllly wanted to get out of Cgy with a win but the cards were definitely stacked slightly against us going in and Petey's opening, as great as it was to see him score from his signature spot like that, wasn' t enough to withstand what came at us. Hoggie's late tally, although it lit a bit of a spark and gave me some hope, ultimately went for naught.

Fucking hate that we were the team that saw Huberdick get of the schneid too. Would've loved to see him remain ice cold.

I was happy with the team's effort and if I had to make one complaint it would just be that I thought the non-call on Garly would've been the perfect time for Toc to cash in some of the goodwill his calm and respectful approach to the zebras has earned him and take that mement to stand on the bench and scream bloody hell. Might have gotten the team fired up and even garnered a make up call shortly afterward that could've seen the tides turn a bit more in our favour.

C'est la ville. We'll pick up strong when we get back home. All in all, an exciting and entertaining game for me and just one more reason to pile on the Lames hatred pile and stick it to them the next time we play.

Go Canucks GO!!!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Had a feeling early in the game the Flames would win. Canucks looked like the 2022/23 version, a bit behind the play, many lazy mistakes, and no pushback. Flames were leading in shots at one point 28 to 14. This wasn't close.  

Hopefully they can bounce back against SEA tomorrow, and if they don't, I surely expect the concern. 

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

actually i would say we haven't been playing good for a while now going back to ottawa.. we laid an egg in ottawa won.. followed that up with an effort just as bad if not worse against toronto.. then played well against montreal.. wasn't particularly great against the islander in the 1st half.. then laid another egg last night. outside of the montreal game.. we have come out flat and not ready in every other game. hopefully this is not a trend and they fixes whatever the issue is soon.. and if EP is indeed dealing with injury.. rest him now with the 2 weaker opponent coming up and get him healed up.. 

I don't entirely agree with you assessment. Have we been lights out, no, but bar from the game against the Seas, where the best team probably didn't win, I think we've played decently (except for the Leafs game obviously)...

Good teams don't play lights out every game, but they find ways to win, and Canucks has done so.... We lost yesterday, but it was blatantly obvious the boys were out of gas and needed a rest... not just Petey but several of the players.

It doesn't always have to be your top line/lines that pull the coals out of the fire... I thought taking Garland of the 3rd line and put him together with Petey was a bad move as the 3rd line had been playing really well recently. Should perhaps have given that line more minutes instead. Beau has played well with Petey before, so maybe that would have been better.

Regardless, we were never going to valse through the season, without struggles and losses, so I don't think concerns are warranted just yet. Furthermore, I think folks have to remember, where this team came from. At the start of the season we were arguing over, whether it was a wild card team or not... ie this team is in uncharted territory for themselves as well, and as such, there will be ups and downs along the way, especially when they run out of gas and are having to travel away for a back to back game.

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

These games happen to good teams over the course of a season. The Canucks are a good team. 

Winning all 82 just isn't possible and fatigue is real. 

I wonder if the Canucks are the only team that gets to play the 2nd game of a back to back as an away team?

3 hours ago, -dlc- said:

After seeing the clip of Rick's post game, I do agree with him though.

Have to find a way to play tired (angles, etc.). Hopefully they'll take that lesson away as they're learning how to win but also have to learn how to not lose. If that makes sense.

Yep... its all part of the learning process of becoming a relevant team...

3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I don't entirely agree with you assessment. Have we been lights out, no, but bar from the game against the Seas, where the best team probably didn't win, I think we've played decently (except for the Leafs game obviously)...

Good teams don't play lights out every game, but they find ways to win, and Canucks has done so.... We lost yesterday, but it was blatantly obvious the boys were out of gas and needed a rest... not just Petey but several of the players.

It doesn't always have to be your top line/lines that pull the coals out of the fire... I thought taking Garland of the 3rd line and put him together with Petey was a bad move as the 3rd line had been playing really well recently. Should perhaps have given that line more minutes instead. Beau has played well with Petey before, so maybe that would have been better.

Regardless, we were never going to valse through the season, without struggles and losses, so I don't think concerns are warranted just yet. Furthermore, I think folks have to remember, where this team came from. At the start of the season we were arguing over, whether it was a wild card team or not... ie this team is in uncharted territory for themselves as well, and as such, there will be ups and downs along the way, especially when they run out of gas and are having to travel away for a back to back game.

i dunno what game you were watching if you think we were decent against ottawa.. the only reason we won was they were atrocious goaltending.. 3 total shot in the 1st.. scoring on 2 of them.. 2 more goals on 6 shots in the 3rd.. ottawa outplayed us in pretty much all 3 periods.

the 1st period against the islanders were also bad. i dunno which game you are referring to where the best team didn't win so no comment on that. but let say in the last 15 periods of hockey we were good in maybe 5 periods? 

i'm enjoying the wins right now, i'm enjoying the show EP Hughes miller demko hronek is putting up right now, but i'm still not sold on this team yet until they start getting their high danger chances against down.. it's not realistic for the canucks to be shooting at the percentage they are shooting at now nor is it realistic for demko to stop almost every single high danger chance. i want to see their chances against drop to the middle of the league before declaring they are.. really we are looking more organize but we are still giving up the same amount of high danger chance as last year.. and pk wise still needs a lot of work.. we are only like 3% better than last season. 

• Cheers 1

This was a tired team playing with 3 good players missing from a winning lineup, Kuz, Soucy, and Suter.

All three have played well for us so far. Suter was just getting going offensively (was great defensively already).

Did they play their system well? no. Should we be worried? No.
if they lose 3-4 in a row, then maybe alarm bells will ring.

Also, all this talk about how they haven’t played well for the last 5 games or so, and just got lucky wins, is crap.

As has been said already, good teams find a way to win.

No team is going to be stellar for 82 straight, a win is a win, greasy or not.

• Cheers 1

Last couple games have looked reminiscent of past couple years in terms of getting hemmed in and giving up quality scoring chances seemingly out of nothing.  We've also been overly reliant on our PP which is not exactly a recipe for high level success.  However, we can't expect to win every game and be dominant every night... Its a tough league with lots of parity.  

2 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

Is the Juulsen experiment over? Please?

Splitting up Hughes-Hronek is noticeable. 

Hughes - Hronek

Cole - Myers

Irwin - Friedman

Hirose

Exactly, Cole is holding down the second pair fine. Even if you switch Myers and Friedman. 1100% Hughes Hronek together please! I was worried right away about splitting them up and having 3 meh pairs