NFL Thread

Shift-4

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What? 
Taylor Swift is a Trumperdoodle? 

Dude she endorsed Biden in 2020. What did Trump do that would change that. 

Edited by 24K

On 2/9/2024 at 4:20 PM, PistolPete13 said:

Since Raiders are my team(sob), I’ve learned to become a fan of the game by watching the successful teams.

My Super Bowl pick this year is for the KC Chiefs to take down the SF 49ers by 7 points. 31- 24. 

Four reasons why the Chiefs hoist the prized chalice.

1. Coaching. I think that Andy Reid will out coach Kyle Shannahan. Reid can get sloppy at times, but his play calling and his staff is better than SF

2. KC has a better defense. Or SF defense is just not that good. Both Green Bay and Detroit lit up SF defense. SF will have to find a way to stop Mahomes to Kelce and the KC running game.

3. QB play. Purdy has a long way to go before he can be in the same conversation as Mahomes. PM is crazy good. I read somewhere that he patterned his QB technique from his experience as a shortstop in baseball. 

4. Kicking. SF rookie kicker Moody has missed some key kicks this year. 49ers should have stuck with Robbie Gould.

KC kicker Buettker never seems to miss, in all kinds of weather. Playing this game inside helps SF, as Moody doesn’t have to worry about the elements.

Not disrespecting the 49ers. They have some very good players.

Who does everyone else favour?

I think the closest to being right was about the kicker.

That missed extra point by Moody was a game changer.

• Cheers 1

Well not sad i missed the game to do 7 hours of almost straight driving.

If it works for players, it works for fans. I'm officially retiring as a niners fan. Bill walsh was the best, 1994 season superbowl was all i could ask for. 

No karma in football as buffalo can attest. Hope lions win it next year.

Maybe it can be reverse 94 seasons, niners lose in superbowl in 2024 but this time canucks win. 

• Cheers 1

Just read an article that claims the Niners took the ball in OT because they didn't know about the new OT rule for the playoffs. They thought if they scored the TD, the game would be over....

If that's true, wow....:classic_blink:

27 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Just read an article that claims the Niners took the ball in OT because they didn't know about the new OT rule for the playoffs. They thought if they scored the TD, the game would be over....

If that's true, wow....:classic_blink:

I don't think so - they took the ball to give their defense a rest IMHO.

12 hours ago, Ilunga said:

This is perfect example why the regular season doesn't mean much in team sports.

If you have teams like KC that just have to get to the post season, they know and more importantly believe they can get shit done.

SB LV Bucs say hi.

KC was 14-2 and TB was 11-5.

1 hour ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Maholmes is now top 5 all time.  Love him or hate him... Gotta appreciate greatness.  

Eli Manning is one of the top 5 weirdest/"money" players for the SB.  His overall career numbers aren't horrible (in fact quite respectable) though not 'eye-popping'...but when his teams get to the SB....he like turns into Johnny Unitas.

32 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I don't think so - they took the ball to give their defense a rest IMHO.

Whether he understood the rule or not, I'd call it a questionable decision.

Interestingly enough, the article I read earlier (sorry, can't find it now) quoted one of the Chiefs saying that they had discussed OT and were going to give the ball to the Niners, if they had won the toss.

Not only that, he said that if they had needed a touchdown, they planned to go for the 2 pt convert and the win.....

• Cheers 1

Found the article (actually a different article, but saying the same thing):

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nfl/49ers-players-didn-t-know-the-overtime-rules-were-different/ar-BB1i9HdB?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=8b6d36bca4ea4f1bb41faef9aec33c47&ei=100

Multiple San Francisco players admitted following the loss in Super Bowl 58 that they had no idea the rules for overtime were different in the playoffs. 

"I didn't even know about the new playoff overtime rule, so it was a surprise to me," Niners defensive lineman Arik Armstead said. "I didn't even really know what was going on in terms of that."

49ers star fullback Kyle Juszczyk admitted the same.

"You know what? I didn't even realize the playoff rules were different in overtime," Juszczyk said. "I assume you just want the ball to score a touchdown and win.

"I guess that's not the case. I don't totally know the strategy there. We hadn't talked about it, no."

Of course this doesn't mean that the coaching staff was unaware of the rules, but still, it's surprising.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Found the article (actually a different article, but saying the same thing):

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nfl/49ers-players-didn-t-know-the-overtime-rules-were-different/ar-BB1i9HdB?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=8b6d36bca4ea4f1bb41faef9aec33c47&ei=100

Of course this doesn't mean that the coaching staff was unaware of the rules, but still, it's surprising.

I liked what Romo said during broadcast. When you get the ball second you truly have 4 downs to work with.

1 minute ago, Shift-4 said:

I liked what Romo said during broadcast. When you get the ball second you truly have 4 downs to work with.

Yeah, it makes very little sense. The only caveats that I could see are if they hadn't changed the rule, or like @Heretic said, your defense is too gassed. If that were the case however, Shanny would have said so.....

28 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, it makes very little sense. The only caveats that I could see are if they hadn't changed the rule, or like @Heretic said, your defense is too gassed. If that were the case however, Shanny would have said so.....

If you then manage to hold them to a FG, you can end it on the next drive as well.  I think I'd have trusted SF's defence more than the offence at that point myself.

• Cheers 1