NFL Thread

Shift-4

10 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

A comprehensive thrashing.   :classic_sad:

It is as I feared.  The Cowboys can beat up on average and poor teams.  But they can't compete with the big dogs.

The niners did get away with lots of holds on parsons but he was about the only one trying.

The cowboys need better systems and mccarthy has never been that guy. That being said, it's way better to get walloped early, identify issues and then climb than peak too early. The niners are at great risk of that. I'd be fine with losing to the vikings and bengals to get it out of the way. Purdy looks good but a few throws could have been picked off.

Niners, eagles and lions seem like the nfc top. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Purdy looks good

Yes, the young guy isn't doing bad for a player who was drafted last in the 2022 draft.

"Is Purdy destined to be a Pro Bowl QB by the middle of next season, the end of this one, or could it be even sooner than that? Could it have already happened?

All this is developing before our eyes, pass by pass, touchdown by touchdown, game by game and interview by interview. All of the proof is accumulating: Matched against the No. 1-rated defense in the league, Purdy threw four more touchdown passes on Sunday, which raised his season tally to nine. He has yet to throw an interception this season. For his two-season career, he has a 22/4 TD-to-interception ratio. And oh yes, of course, the 49ers have never lost a game that Purdy both started and finished."

https://theathletic.com/4943889/2023/10/09/kawakami-brock-purdy-49ers-getting-better/

He's 12-0 in games he started and finished.

A remarkable story.  Should be entertaining to see how it continues to unfold.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Yes, the young guy isn't doing bad for a player who was drafted last in the 2022 draft.

"Is Purdy destined to be a Pro Bowl QB by the middle of next season, the end of this one, or could it be even sooner than that? Could it have already happened?

All this is developing before our eyes, pass by pass, touchdown by touchdown, game by game and interview by interview. All of the proof is accumulating: Matched against the No. 1-rated defense in the league, Purdy threw four more touchdown passes on Sunday, which raised his season tally to nine. He has yet to throw an interception this season. For his two-season career, he has a 22/4 TD-to-interception ratio. And oh yes, of course, the 49ers have never lost a game that Purdy both started and finished."

https://theathletic.com/4943889/2023/10/09/kawakami-brock-purdy-49ers-getting-better/

Purdy is a great story but he's part of the plan. I think he is solid and an upgrade on the last few qbs in san fran but we'll see how he goes in the tough playoffs. The entire 49ers team is built on having a cheap qb with money used to load up elsewhere and deep systems to find some complimentary pieces. If they don't win it this year then they may not as next year it'll be aiyuk vs deebo contracts. 

Bill Walsh's shadow forever looms over this franchise but it's time they finally won again, else shanahan's going to be the next almost great figure.

• Cheers 2

On 10/9/2023 at 7:47 AM, OldFaithfulcap said:

Yup those are the 3 teams I expect to have a shot to make the Super Bowl out of the NFC. 

For the Cowboys they need to get a legit QB. Dak is just not the guy to take them to the promise land. 

95EB8F14-7E7F-4BB1-AB03-6EB9DF27AE34.jpeg

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

Yup those are the 3 teams I expect to have a shot to make the Super Bowl out of the NFC. 

For the Cowboys they need to get a legit QB. Dak is just not the guy to take them to the promise land. 

95EB8F14-7E7F-4BB1-AB03-6EB9DF27AE34.jpeg

I don't actually blame dak or romo. The cowboys just overhype players and never focus on systems. 

Their linebackers just lack grit but they go on and on about sack stats. Give me guys who can just cause havoc and hit hard over the stat monsters. 

It still comes back to jerry meddling. McCarthy was a terrible decision too and they've needed a good DC for years.

• Cheers 1

Does Patrick Mahomes have some sort of medical condition?  I've never noticed it before but this season I've watched a couple of Chiefs games and when the camera zooms in on him he seems to have some twitches on his face.  Also, after a play he often raises his hand and wriggles his fingers.  What's that about?

14 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Does Patrick Mahomes have some sort of medical condition?  I've never noticed it before but this season I've watched a couple of Chiefs games and when the camera zooms in on him he seems to have some twitches on his face.  Also, after a play he often raises his hand and wriggles his fingers.  What's that about?

i think he's signalling for the chiefs to somehow sign davante adams. 

The chiefs really don't look that great. I think bills/dolphins or cincy (if burrow can get back to full form) will win the afc

14 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

What's wrong with Dan Quinn?

I was probably a bit hard on Quinn. He's fine, good stats but the dallas d, like the atlanta one, goes missing in big moments. The seattle d he ran was great but so much of it was those players it seems. Dallas is a good regular season team, they just lack grit. 

Edited by OldFaithfulcap
c

On 10/9/2023 at 7:47 AM, OldFaithfulcap said:

The niners did get away with lots of holds on parsons but he was about the only one trying.

The cowboys need better systems and mccarthy has never been that guy. That being said, it's way better to get walloped early, identify issues and then climb than peak too early. The niners are at great risk of that. I'd be fine with losing to the vikings and bengals to get it out of the way. Purdy looks good but a few throws could have been picked off.

Yup, those 3 are the cream of the crop, and its not close

Sleeper team that MIGHT make the wildcard or even win their division, the Bucs have quietly looked good with Baker

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

i think he's signalling for the chiefs to somehow sign davante adams. 

The chiefs really don't look that great. I think bills/dolphins or cincy (if burrow can get back to full form) will win the afc

You mean trade for Devante Adams, but yes they do need an alpha WR. But why stop at Devante? Go for the juggular and get Justin Jefferson! Trade picks rnd 1-3, and another 1st the year after, Mahomes will have his go to WR for the next 8 years, whos just turned the knob of the door, entering his prime

On 10/9/2023 at 12:44 PM, UnkNuk said:

Right coach, right system, right supporting cast. Thats not a knock on Purdy by any means, but in football, it matters because its such a team sport. Like Mahomes I don't think would have the same success had he ended up getting drafted by the Bears. Andy Reid got the right QB to run his plays, with a great supporting cast (when Hill was there), and Purdy is no different.

5 hours ago, filthy animal said:

You mean trade for Devante Adams, but yes they do need an alpha WR. But why stop at Devante? Go for the juggular and get Justin Jefferson! Trade picks rnd 1-3, and another 1st the year after, Mahomes will have his go to WR for the next 8 years, whos just turned the knob of the door, entering his prime

Right coach, right system, right supporting cast. Thats not a knock on Purdy by any means, but in football, it matters because its such a team sport. Like Mahomes I don't think would have the same success had he ended up getting drafted by the Bears. Andy Reid got the right QB to run his plays, with a great supporting cast (when Hill was there), and Purdy is no different.

Devante yes, i chose him as jimmy g can't throw deep so he's going to want a trade out. Salary cap will bite the chiefs though.

I'm very happy with Brock. He's the best qb we've had since Young. Garcia threw too many picks, smith/kaepernick/jimmy couldn't throw deep or scramble and throw well (kaep stared at crabtree endlessly). I like that Brock can throw downfield, i like how he scrambles and makes plays but i love that he realizes he's part of a team and he doesn't need to overdo it. From listening to Kittle lately it really seems that this niners team is beyond driven to join the great bill walsh teams and I love it. I hope they get there, been way too long. The other thing is the niners o has to practice against the niners d which really improves both (though i don't think wilks is as good as ryans, saleh or fangio).

I'm fine with that loss. Early in the season, with injuries (greenlaw is a huge loss)  but it'll help purdy and the niners run game. The o-line showed some issues too so rather than fix this over the next stretch and be better for the bigger games later.

Jennings is an average receiver, purdy should gone to kittle on so many times and they should have used juszczyk as an pass option more. Wilks needs to try new things with the line too. Terrible penalties called on both teams as well.

On 10/15/2023 at 7:59 PM, runningback33 said:

No more undefeated teams in the NFL, I thought Eagles and 49ers would win easily today

And now the Eagles pick up Julio Jones.

I don't really know what Jones will bring as an over the hill receiver, but I'm hoping it can be a veteran comfort target for Hurts.

Also, the O-coordinator needs to figure out a plan, as the calling has been questionable.