NFL Thread

Shift-4

23 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

They have some good players, belicheck could do some great things

But how would Belichick and Jones get along?

Thing about McCarthy is that he's gone 12-5 with the Cowboys over the past three seasons.  That's a very good (regular season) record.  But his team has only won one playoff game in those three seasons. 

Maybe keep McCarthy for the regular season and bring in Belichick for the playoffs?  Jerry can afford it!   :classic_happy:  

On 1/8/2024 at 9:33 AM, OldFaithfulcap said:

Yes i have a hard time writing them off but maybe they just fell apart. My worry about hurts was always that he wasn't great in big college games at alabama or oklahoma and he seems to be back on that pattern this season. We'll see as they have so much talent.

Glad 49ers have the bye. Darnold's fumble to lose the game was so clumsy. 

My picks:

Packers > cowboys

Lions > Rams

Eagles> Bucs

Texans> Browns 

Dolphins>Chiefs

Bills> Steelers

4 from 6 not bad.

Dolphins and eagles didn't bounce back.

6 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

But how would Belichick and Jones get along?

Thing about McCarthy is that he's gone 12-5 with the Cowboys over the past three seasons.  That's a very good (regular season) record.  But his team has only won one playoff game in those three seasons. 

Maybe keep McCarthy for the regular season and bring in Belichick for the playoffs?  Jerry can afford it!   :classic_happy:  

Regular season means nothing. McCarthy's teams just get predictable in the playoffs. They aren't going to improve. Belichick will fix the d in the playoffs and could help the offence as he wouldn't need to draft much. 

Jerry for all his meddling, would back off some. Who knows. 

Shanahan is now the coach with the most to lose left in the playoffs. That is scary but if the 49ers don't make the superbowl then it's a bad season.  Niners fans got spoiled in the 80s and 90s but the superbowl losses pissed us off. That's still what success means in san fran but its been since 1995..eesh

Edited by OldFaithfulcap
h

Who makes more changes in the offseason? Dallas or Philly??

I think Philly has a disconnect problem (and schemes), whereas Dallas has a roster/scheme problem.

Not sure how much of their coaching staffs will remain.

11 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Shanahan is now the coach with the most to lose left in the playoffs. That is scary but if the 49ers don't make the superbowl then it's a bad season.  Niners fans got spoiled in the 80s and 90s but the superbowl losses pissed us off. That's still what success means in san fran but its been since 1995..eesh

At least the 49ers have made it to the Superbowl since 1995 even if they lost in 2013 and 2020.

Since winning the Superbowl in the 1995 season, the Cowboys have won a grand total of 5 playoff games!   double eesh!

• Thanks 1

On 1/15/2024 at 8:38 PM, RupertKBD said:

I didn't get to watch. (MLK day isn't a holiday up here.....yet)

I kept checking out the live updates as the afternoon went on, so I had an idea what was going on. I still don't know what happened on that late FG try, though. How TF did Bass miss that?

He has the weirdest kicks that I've ever seen on a kicker.  The way the ball zigs and zags after he kicks it is occasionally outrageous.  Even though the hold wasn't completely vertical, it was good enough.  It just seems like he shanked it.  He started the year off great but got worse as time went on.  I wouldn't be surprised if they brought someone in to compete with him at training camp before the start of the 2024-25 season.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

At least the 49ers have made it to the Superbowl since 1995 even if they lost in 2013 and 2020.

Since winning the Superbowl in the 1995 season, the Cowboys have won a grand total of 5 playoff games!   double eesh!

I would have preferred to lose in the nfc championships then the superbowl, i liked the old 5-0, now 5-2. We should have made it when the pats lost to the giants rd 2, damn kick return fumble.

7 hours ago, c00kies said:

I think Philly has a disconnect problem (and schemes), whereas Dallas has a roster/scheme problem.

Not sure how much of their coaching staffs will remain.

Hiring Matt Patricia was a huge mistake by the birds.   They keep him on, it ain't getting better. 

Just ask Lions fans.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, c00kies said:

Speaking of Philly:  A team that is rolling along at 10-1 suddenly loses 5 of their last 6 games and then is thumped in their opening playoff game???

There's got to be an interesting story behind that.

That settles that:

Dallas Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy returning for fifth season

Owner Jerry Jones met with McCarthy on Wednesday evening and informed the head coach that he would be returning for a fifth season. 

“I believe this team is very close and capable of achieving our ultimate goals and the best step forward for us will be with Mike McCarthy as our head coach,’’ Jones said in a statement issued by the club early Wednesday evening. “There is great benefit to continuing the team’s progress under Mike’s leadership as our head coach.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2024/01/17/dallas-cowboys-coach-mike-mccarthy-returning-for-fifth-season/?sailthru_id=62680b6b4f757f64bad573cd&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Breaking_Sports_01172024&utm_term=Sports Breaking News

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

That settles that:

Dallas Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy returning for fifth season

Owner Jerry Jones met with McCarthy on Wednesday evening and informed the head coach that he would be returning for a fifth season. 

“I believe this team is very close and capable of achieving our ultimate goals and the best step forward for us will be with Mike McCarthy as our head coach,’’ Jones said in a statement issued by the club early Wednesday evening. “There is great benefit to continuing the team’s progress under Mike’s leadership as our head coach.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2024/01/17/dallas-cowboys-coach-mike-mccarthy-returning-for-fifth-season/?sailthru_id=62680b6b4f757f64bad573cd&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Breaking_Sports_01172024&utm_term=Sports Breaking News

Everything I've read suggests that Cowboys fans wanted Belichick.....but you have to wonder if JJ would hand the reins off to someone and stay out of the football decisions....

I guess we have the answer to that....

• Cheers 1

I was reading an artlcle about the popularity of the Dallas Cowboys and was struck by this quote:

"No matter what the Cowboys do on or off the field — good, bad or awful — people can’t get enough. It’s not football; it’s a reality show. Our David Moore calls the Cowboys the Kardashians of the NFL, meaning they’re famous for being famous. And Jerry is the most Kardashian of them all."

They're famous for being famous.  Bingo.  They certainly haven't earned all this attention on the playing field for the past two decades.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2024/01/18/jerry-jones-has-turned-the-dallas-cowboys-into-reality-tv-are-fans-to-blame/?sailthru_id=62680b6b4f757f64bad573cd&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Cowboys_01192024&utm_term=Cowboys

4 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Gah, fcking leafs bs means the niners game is on at the same time. Guess I'll use tv for niners and phone for hockey.

Replaying the nucks afterwards myself. Can't watch 2 games and a toddler all at once, my brain would melt.🫠 

Go 9ers!!!!!

• Cheers 1