NFL Thread

Shift-4

On 2/12/2024 at 1:04 AM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

re: Bill Walsh

Bill Walsh's the winning edge is still like $500+ and loved by coaches.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/8865286/former-49ers-head-coach-bill-walsh-first-book-lives-super-bowl-road-map-espn-magazine

The score takes care of itself is also a great book about leadership and learning.

Bill's story is an interesting lesson in that while he was so successful he had such high standards that he rarely enjoyed them. He treated players better as the years went on but he definitely did not enjoy the moment like he should. It rings true for me. 

Edited by OldFaithfulcap
  • Cheers 1

The problem you have with taking the ball first is you can't just go for it.  If you go 3 and out with a long 4th down outside field goal range, that's a punt.  If you are kicking off in overtime and get the ball 2nd, there is more information that dictates what you do throughout your possession.

Mahomes even said they were going to kick off if they won the toss.

1 hour ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

The problem you have with taking the ball first is you can't just go for it.  If you go 3 and out with a long 4th down outside field goal range, that's a punt.  If you are kicking off in overtime and get the ball 2nd, there is more information that dictates what you do throughout your possession.

Mahomes even said they were going to kick off if they won the toss.

I pondered that, the advantage would come if both teams were still tied after first possession as then it’s first team to score wins. I think I would still opt to kick first given the choice though.

21 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Bro we're just all Swifties that's all there is to it

I couldn’t give a sh** about Swift, I just enjoy watching elite talent and want to see them break records. I was always rooting for Brady, now that he’s gone Mahomes is the guy I want to watch.

22 hours ago, Alflives said:

What? 
Taylor Swift is a Trumperdoodle? 

I can’t stand anyone that would vote for Biden, then again, I can’t stand anyone that would vote for Trump, probably explains why I hate people.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nfl/49ers-fire-defensive-co-ordinator-steve-wilks-after-super-bowl-loss/ar-BB1ihLdV?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=d5e035fd787f406c87ad415692250d9a&ei=89

"

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) — The San Francisco 49ers fired defensive coordinator Steve Wilks on Wednesday, three days after losing the Super Bowl to the Kansas City Chiefs.

Coach Kyle Shanahan announced the decision to move on after one season with Wilks in charge of the defence. Shanahan called it a “really tough decision” but said he wants to find a coordinator who was a better scheme fit for the talent on San Francisco’s defence.

------------------

More at link

Yeah, some stupid Vancouverites rioted when we lost the Stanley cup - but at least no one was shot.

https://www.tsn.ca/nfl/video/one-dead-nine-injured-in-shooting-at-chiefs-victory-parade~2867371

One person was killed and nine were injured after shots were fired at the end of the Chiefs' Super Bowl parade Wednesday, Kansas City fire department officials said. According to ABC News, citing the officials, three of the injured are in critical condition and five are in serious condition.

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nfl/49ers-fire-defensive-co-ordinator-steve-wilks-after-super-bowl-loss/ar-BB1ihLdV?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=d5e035fd787f406c87ad415692250d9a&ei=89

"

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) — The San Francisco 49ers fired defensive coordinator Steve Wilks on Wednesday, three days after losing the Super Bowl to the Kansas City Chiefs.

Coach Kyle Shanahan announced the decision to move on after one season with Wilks in charge of the defence. Shanahan called it a “really tough decision” but said he wants to find a coordinator who was a better scheme fit for the talent on San Francisco’s defence.

------------------

More at link

They should've fired him week 8. Was bad all year with that talent. No pass rush, terrible vs run. 

Belichick would be a fantastic d-coordinator if he is ok with doing that. 

I'm still retired but had to add that.

• Cheers 2

On 2/16/2024 at 1:38 PM, the destroyer of worlds said:

HE isn't appealing.  He is set to be released.  I wonder if there will be any team that picks him up with him missing the first 2 games next season.

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/2846718

Garoppolo banned 2 games for PED violation

Whatever he took, he needs to increase the dosage.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, runningback33 said:

From the article:

The Broncos signed Wilson to a five-year, $242.6 million deal after his arrival and will take an $85 million hit in dead money over the next two seasons because of the release.

The Broncos went all-in to acquire Wilson two years ago from the Seattle Seahawks, sending five draft picks, including two first-round and two second-round selections, as well as three players.

Worst trade of all time or just one of the worst?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

From the article:

The Broncos signed Wilson to a five-year, $242.6 million deal after his arrival and will take an $85 million hit in dead money over the next two seasons because of the release.

The Broncos went all-in to acquire Wilson two years ago from the Seattle Seahawks, sending five draft picks, including two first-round and two second-round selections, as well as three players.

The Browns trade for rub and tug is up there.  He has to put up solid numbers this season after we saw what Joe Flacco was able to do with the team at the end of the season.

17 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

From the article:

3 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

The Browns trade for rub and tug is up there.  He has to put up solid numbers this season after we saw what Joe Flacco was able to do with the team at the end of the season.

Those are both brutal, but I think I still give a slight edge to the Vikings for trading for Herschel Walker:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_Walker_trade

To Dallas Cowboys To Minnesota Vikings To San Diego Chargers
  • LB Jesse Solomon
  • LB David Howard
  • CB Issiac Holt
  • DE Alex Stewart
  • Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990
  • Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990
  • Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990
  • Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional on cutting Solomon)
  • Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional on cutting Howard)
  • Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1992 (conditional on cutting Holt)
  • Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (condition met by trading away Nelson)
  • Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional on cutting Stewart)
  • RB Herschel Walker
  • Dallas's 3rd round pick in 1990
  • San Diego's 5th round pick in 1990
  • Dallas's 10th round pick in 1990
  • Dallas's 3rd round pick in 1991
  • Cheers 1