NFL Thread

Shift-4

Four rule changes have been proposed for the 2024 season. 

The one that seems to have gotten most of the attention is that the onside kick be replaced by substituting an offensive play -4th and 20 from the kicking teams 20 yard line.  Not sure if this is the way to go but the onside kick has become almost impossible to pull off.

https://operations.nfl.com/updates/football-ops/2024-rules-change-proposals/?source=scoopcity_newsletter&campaign=9248393&userId=11643094

5 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Steelers all in for the ride.

Lets ride

All they really need is for Russ to game manage.  Last thing they need at this point of his career is for him to "cook".  Their defense will win them games if he can average 28-31 points per game.  He doesn't turn it over very much so unless the RB's develop butter fingers, the Steelers can realistically win a WC game and at least see a divisional playoff game.  Not having the league's worst OC this upcoming season should also definitely help.

• Cheers 1

On 3/15/2024 at 1:08 PM, Sabrefan1 said:

REJOICE YOU DIRTY STEELER FANS!! 

I've been doing a bit of digging on this and the story making the rounds is that Pickett was upset about the Wilson deal and went to management and asked to be moved....so management "obliged".

Now, instead of backing up a guy on a one-year, $1 million dollar contract, he's the #2 to a guy making $50 million for the next 5 years....

"WTF were you thinking?" doesn't seem to cover it....:picard:

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

I've been doing a bit of digging on this and the story making the rounds is that Pickett was upset about the Wilson deal and went to management and asked to be moved....so management "obliged".

Now, instead of backing up a guy on a one-year, $1 million dollar contract, he's the #2 to a guy making $50 million for the next 5 years....

"WTF were you thinking?" doesn't seem to cover it....:picard:

Plenty of people chuckled after he got traded to Philly.  It's like the old idiom says, "be careful what you wish for".  Jalen Hurts is firmly entrenched as the Eagle's starter.  That firmly entrenches Pickett as his backup barring an injury to Hurts.

Report: Browns ink Jeudy to three-year, $58 million extension

https://www.tsn.ca/nfl/cleveland-browns-ink-wide-receiver-jerry-jeudy-to-three-year-58-million-extension-1.2092312

The Cleveland Browns have made the newly acquired Jerry Jeudy feel welcome with a contract extension.

The NFL Network's Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero report the team has signed the 24-year-old wide receiver to a three-year, $58 million extension with a guaranteed $41 million.

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39812700/nfl-owners-approve-massive-revamp-kickoff-play

Terrible change.  They're doing their best to take the kickoff out of the game entirely.

I dunno.  Seems to me they're trying to save the kickoff.   Last season, four out of five kickoffs were touchbacks.  What's the point in having a kickoff if it's only going to result in a touchback?  Just put the ball at the 35 and play.  This new innovation may bring kickoff returns back.

• Cheers 1

On 3/26/2024 at 9:09 PM, the destroyer of worlds said:

How much you betting this is a thing?

RDT_20240326_1808301668229279734265205.jpg

I'm feeling pain from this one and it hasn't even happened!  ....yet

Is there any other team in the history of football that rips it's fan's hearts out like the Bills?  4 straight SB losses, wide right....TWICE, music city miracle, 13 seconds, etc, etc. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, runningback33 said:

May have had CTE

Possibly, but they are not as common in Cornerbacks.  Since people are speculating that it's sounding like a suicide, my guess would be he was running/already ran out of money since many of these guys do within a decade of leaving football.

Who knows though.  By all accounts, he was an emotional guy so it could have just been a very low point in his life of the kind a fair amount of people face at one time or another and he just wanted the pain to go away.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Michael Penix Jr has impressive pro day with Seahawks GM John Schneider in attendance

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2024/3/29/24115872/seattle-seahawks-michael-penix-jr-impressive-pro-day-nfl-draft

The only issue with him is his injury history.  I'd still rather take my chances with him than hope that Caleb Williams eventually grows up.