[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Seattle Kraken ⏰ Nov. 18, 2023, 7:00 PM PT📍Rogers Arena

twonum

26 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I'm willing to give Kuzmenko the benefit of the doubt for the rest of this year at least. Take tonight for instance; Pettersson had an off game, wasn't passing well.

He maybe nursing something, who knows but there's no doubt, we have seen them work well together at times. I for one am happy to see how coach Rick brings 

him along.

I'm not saying I want them to move Kuz, I just wonder what they are thinking.

I think he can be better than he has been, and even with a sub-par start he's still been pretty productive. I never thought he was a line driver just a great complementary player & he continues to be that.

Whether he can develop those winning habits+effort level we'll see. As long as they stay dedicated to working with him, its still early in the Tocchet era. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I'm willing to give Kuzmenko the benefit of the doubt for the rest of this year at least. Take tonight for instance; Pettersson had an off game, wasn't passing well.

He maybe nursing something, who knows but there's no doubt, we have seen them work well together at times. I for one am happy to see how coach Rick brings 

him along.

agree with that, but i thought petey has a wrist or hand injury? if he does, probably still nursing it still, like you said.

• Upvote 1

No separate PGT?

well.....to say how it looked, id say it looked like Kraken had way more energy and skated harder. during the game we had more chances but a lot of posts and saves were in the way. basically Kraken outworked us. 

Glad to see Kuz back...hes needed even if hes not even close to his previous seasons scoring. 

i think we miss soucy more then we should....

Id like to see Suter back as center with Joshua and Garland.....lets try Blueger with Hogs and Lafferty....

Joshua-suter-Garland

Hoglander-Blueger-Lafferty

just a thought....hoglander has more potential within him....he might take more strides then during his first years...thought he was one of our best of the bottom 6 tonight....again. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'm not saying I want them to move Kuz, I just wonder what they are thinking.

I think he can be better than he has been, and even with a sub-par start he's still been pretty productive. I never thought he was a line driver just a great complementary player & he continues to be that.

Whether he can develop those winning habits+effort level we'll see. As long as they stay dedicated to working with him, its still early in the Tocchet era. 

you guys are expecting way too much out of kuzmenko because of his goal scoring last year.. it's not like he's been a goal scorer his entire career.. 

• Like 1

We're already starting to lose our shit? Team's tired but I give them props for pushing Seattle until it was game over. Beating the Isles was a huge deal, and really don't care that we've dropped these last two tbh. 

Yes, Kuzmenko does have to be better. Sure his stat line looks pretty good, but he's been very vanilla. This was before he took a puck to the face, too.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

To me, it looks like the problem is pretty simple. We lost Soucy and the defense looks like last year all over again. Hughes and Hronek playing almost 30 per night and now making mistakes. Big drop off in talent after the top pairing. 

Hirose did ok but you need to upgrade on Juulsen or team will continue to be a 500 team. Guys like Cole and Myers are good as long as you don't overplay them or they'll make mistakes. With Soucy gone we're starting to see more mistakes because everyone is having to do extra. 

Hogz looked good tonight. Glad he got rewarded. 

Petey looks frustrated

There's also a regression to the mean. Close game but the puck luck went the way of the kraken 

• Cheers 3

it's amazing how you can predict WHEN we will be scored on. The play is every time really readable. 
even when the puck was nowhere to be seen, i just said "it will end up in the net" and there it was.

Please take Boeser out of the Miller line. This guy is slow, the play dies on his stick 90% of the time. Promote Garland instead.

to be honest, i would trade Boeser to CLB for A.Peeke and K.Johnson.

1 hour ago, DexM94 said:

it's amazing how you can predict WHEN we will be scored on. The play is every time really readable. 
even when the puck was nowhere to be seen, i just said "it will end up in the net" and there it was.

Please take Boeser out of the Miller line. This guy is slow, the play dies on his stick 90% of the time. Promote Garland instead.

ya let's get rid of the 2nd leading goal scorer in the league with 21 points in 18 games and promote the guy with 2 goals and 5 points.. great take.. that'll fix our problem with the lack of scoring outside the top 2 line

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

ya let's get rid of the 2nd leading goal scorer in the league with 21 points in 18 games and promote the guy with 2 goals and 5 points.. great take.. that'll fix our problem with the lack of scoring outside the top 2 line

You clearly don’t see the game outside the stats, but i know I will get this kind of comments. 
You miss all the good things Garland made that can put the Miller line way more dangerous 5v5. And Boeser stats lure you, but I hope not only you but the team i’m glad to trade with. 

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

Brock has played some of if not, the best hockey of his career.   Came into camp ready to go to.   Doubt he's going to score 60 goals ... 40 sure seems like a reasonable pace, and we all (well should anyways), a healthy Brock has that (or even 50) in him.   

Tochett might need to shake things up, but night in night out,  it's Brocks and Millers, Giuseppe's  line they have tasked to face the leagues and they've done an admirable job.  

Losing since Soucy got injured.    And well have to say i'm pretty sure EPs not 100% either.   

Things were always going to fall down to earth a little.    That was a torrid start to the season (road trip, breaking EDM etc).   Sucks we've given up four points to divisional points recently.   I'm sure the team will rebound.   And that Allvin is working the phones hard.     Bear is skating hard on his own now.    Sure they've got that coming in soon, which should give the team a boost.   Same with Brisbois and Wolanin.   

Myers isn't the problem that's for sure too.    Not sure why the usual whipping boys get targeted.   Suppose the players earned it to some degree, but Brock so far has been a major boon for us.    Just a few games ago was in on all 3 of the regulation points during a come back win against NYI wasn't he? 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DexM94 said:

You clearly don’t see the game outside the stats, but i know I will get this kind of comments. 
You miss all the good things Garland made that can put the Miller line way more dangerous 5v5. And Boeser stats lure you, but I hope not only you but the team i’m glad to trade with. 

Brock and Miller have played more with each other the past four years plus years, than any linemates, Allvin and JR a talked about wanting to build long term pairs.   Things haven't got so bad they need to mess with that.    

Garland is fine, rarely doesn't have a few moments (games i've watched anyways) just expensive and redundant (Mikheyev, Kuzmenko, Brock, Beau).    Does provide good depth for the guys though.   And isn't Beau level expensive for what he adds either.   Shaking up the top six likely won't help much, and we aren't there yet.   Not sure Brock playing on the third line is the answer,  in the past it he's managed ok doing that plus his PP time though.    Garland, Miller, Brock makes more sense,  Giusseppe on the third line, if they want to shake things up and load a line that is. 

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

you guys are expecting way too much out of kuzmenko because of his goal scoring last year.. it's not like he's been a goal scorer his entire career.. 

He is being paid to do more so his slow start has been a bit underwhelming.  Last year, even when he wasn't generating his own offense he had a wonderful knack for getting open for the backdoor tip.

He had absurdly high finishing last season so it shouldn't come as a surprise that he regressed a bit.

4 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

To me, it looks like the problem is pretty simple. We lost Soucy and the defense looks like last year all over again. Hughes and Hronek playing almost 30 per night and now making mistakes. Big drop off in talent after the top pairing. 

Hirose did ok but you need to upgrade on Juulsen or team will continue to be a 500 team. Guys like Cole and Myers are good as long as you don't overplay them or they'll make mistakes. With Soucy gone we're starting to see more mistakes because everyone is having to do extra. 

Hogz looked good tonight. Glad he got rewarded. 

Petey looks frustrated

There's also a regression to the mean. Close game but the puck luck went the way of the kraken 

If our team looks this tired and fragile with one third-pairing defenceman out, then we need to adjust our strategy.  This is the third or fourth game where are biggest players put up poor analytics and most of that is separate from the Soucy injury.

But I do sense that Vancouver might be thinking harder about adding another D-man after tonight. 

3 hours ago, DexM94 said:

Ah, the enigma of Conor Garland.  Anyone here knows I'm a pretty big Garland stan, but he has squandered every chance to play in the top six.  Hasn't played well with Pettersson or Miller, despite trying.  Garland's skillset absolutely belongs in the top six but there just seems to be no chemistry with the other big guys.  So instead he gets relegated to playing alongside grinders.

He just hasn't been a very good fit on this team.  Ironic considering how small he likes to play...

image.thumb.png.5b5df45f5a677000ab3c02c4fba4396e.png

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Brock and Miller have played more with each other the past four years plus years, than any linemates, Allvin and JR a talked about wanting to build long term pairs.   Things haven't got so bad they need to mess with that.    

Garland is fine, rarely doesn't have a few moments (games i've watched anyways) just expensive and redundant (Mikheyev, Kuzmenko, Brock, Beau).    Does provide good depth for the guys though.   And isn't Beau level expensive for what he adds either.   Shaking up the top six likely won't help much, and we aren't there yet.   Not sure Brock playing on the third line is the answer,  in the past it he's managed ok doing that plus his PP time though.    Garland, Miller, Brock makes more sense,  Giusseppe on the third line, if they want to shake things up and load a line that is. 

Garland is a far superior talent to Beauvillier, both offensively and defensively.  But he just doesn't fit on either of the top lines.  He had some shifts replacing Kuzmenko and looked out of it.  He has played minutes with Miller and Boeser in the past and looked out of it.  And Tocchet is unlikely to demote Di Giuseppe.  Everyone has their favourite player - remember Willie and Vey/Megna?  That's PDG for you.  At least he hustles and defends hard.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

He is being paid to do more so his slow start has been a bit underwhelming.  Last year, even when he wasn't generating his own offense he had a wonderful knack for getting open for the backdoor tip.

He had absurdly high finishing last season so it shouldn't come as a surprise that he regressed a bit.

If our team looks this tired and fragile with one third-pairing defenceman out, then we need to adjust our strategy.  This is the third or fourth game where are biggest players put up poor analytics and most of that is separate from the Soucy injury.

But I do sense that Vancouver might be thinking harder about adding another D-man after tonight. 

Ah, the enigma of Conor Garland.  Anyone here knows I'm a pretty big Garland stan, but he has squandered every chance to play in the top six.  Hasn't played well with Pettersson or Miller, despite trying.  Garland's skillset absolutely belongs in the top six but there just seems to be no chemistry with the other big guys.  So instead he gets relegated to playing alongside grinders.

He just hasn't been a very good fit on this team.  Ironic considering how small he likes to play...

image.thumb.png.5b5df45f5a677000ab3c02c4fba4396e.png

Good takes. 

I think we do look tired and fragile with a third pairing Dman out (Soucy). Despite being a 3rd pairing guy, he made the team better. He killed penalties and stabilized the pairs. Ever since he went down, our pairings are consistently being jumbled as we need to insulate 2 defensemen (Juulsen and Hirose) when we used to only have to insulate 1 (Friedman). I don't know how we would adjust our strategy besides just playing 500 hockey until Soucy returns or making a trade for a top 4 d man but this injury could be a blessing in disguise because it did expose our lack of depth and if we are serious about making a run in the playoffs, it goes without question we need to add another D. 

Also Kuz is in a bit of a sophomore slump. I thought he looked really good against the Isles and was generating lots. It's unfortunate he took a puck to the face. I think his super likeability personality buys him some grace but when the team is now starting to lose, we are seeing the patience running thin. I don't know though, is 5.5m supposed to be the driver of that line or is it the guy that wants 10.5+? Petey is also given grace because we suspect some sort of ailment but he's the one that's making uncharacteristic turnovers lately. 

Lastly Garland, I think he looked great on a line with Joshua and Suter. It's been a while since we've had a 3rd line that carried play like that. 

Hopefully Sutes is back soon. 

Yesterday I thought Hogz and Joshua were 2 of our stronger players. Myers was also having a strong game but that gaffe cost us and that's a byproduct of what happens when you play Myers too much. Eventually he'll make a mistake 

• Cheers 1