[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Seattle Kraken ⏰ Nov. 18, 2023, 7:00 PM PT📍Rogers Arena

twonum

42 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I honestly don’t think so unless Demko stands on his head every night. Look at the high danger chance against in the advance stats. If Demko is near league average we’d be in the 3+ in goals against. They need to get a D soon and cut down on those chance against and not required our goalie to be overworked 

Do you have a website you go to for stats like high dangers ? 

Next to McDavid, Jared McCann might be my least favourite player in the league. That charge he took at Pettersson and then skated away like a weasel. 

At least Juulsen tried to pushback, but the rest of this Canucks team? Even Tocchet is probably shaking his head. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

Statement game is next Wednesday in Denver

Right now let’s team rest a little bit, reset and recharge.

True but we also can't assume SJ will rollover. Pretty sure they'll be highly motivated after our 10-1 thrashing. 

I mean they were also the final nail in the coffin for woodcroft after they turned the oilers into the laughing stock of the league. 

I am with @wai_lai416 on our defensive play.

I believed we peaked at the shutout win against Dallas in terms of good play. Even then, Demko made a glorious glove save in the first. 

Since then, I feel like our old style of trading chances has crept back into our play. 

The main difference this year is that Hughes has taken another step in development where he is playing to elite levels and adding Hronek has allowed much better / quicker puck movement out of our D zone and ability to transition back up ice in a hurry. We've been able to bury those chances earlier in the season but lately have not. There is a very small margin of difference in this league and that's probably what it comes down to. 

We're getting chances early but it's not going in. 

I feel like every game, we start with a really good opportunity on an odd an rush

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Thats so strange. You are usually pretty patient with the team. 

They've had a tough travel schedule and are dealing with injuries.  I thought their phenomenal start to the year would have given them a longer leash from the fans. 

Also there's no such thing as an easy game now. I mean didn't Philly beat vegas yesterday?  They beat us pretty soundly too. 

As poorly as the canucks have played, they are 2-3 starting with that loss in Toronto. 

Kraken coming into last night was 6-8-4 in and was probably feeling more desperate than us. It's not like they are a trash team. They knocked out the Avs first round last year and have been underachieving this year and probably realizing if they don't turn it up soon, playoffs will be out of reach. 

Canucks are now the team that other teams get up for and no longer dress their backups.

We played the Flames on a back to back of our 3rd game in 4 nights after an emotional win the previous night. It was most likely going to be a very tough game to win and we lost. 

We then lost a close game to the Kraken yesterday which was really a coin flip. We had our looks yesterday. 

We have 5 games before we play LV. We see the Sharks x2, Ducks, Seattle and Avs. 

Soucy is out until Christmas. 

I do think Allvin should pull the trigger for a d man sooner than later. With increased minutes for Hughes and Hronek also leads to fatigue and higher chance of more injuries. 

This is another learning stage for this young team. They are dealing with injuries and fatigue but also now playing teams that were / underachieving and playing desperate hockey to get back in the mix. 

We need to match that level of effort and I believe the guys realize that. We are lucky to at least have a buffer built up while they are realizing this. 

I am patient about their progress, but I still want them to make the post season and that means winning games against teams below them in the standings.  They're a wild card team and they need to pick up points in soft parts of the sched.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Nobody who watches the NHL regularly would say this is a soft stretch of games.

Teams are much more even than the standings may show. There’s really only a handful of really bad teams. The difference in a game can often come down to who gets the calls and bounces and who is more rested.

This team had played 5 games in 8 nights across different time zones…

Isles

Calgary

Seattle x2

SJx2

Col

Ana

That's one of the softer stretch of games they'll get this year.  I agree that parity makes every game a challenge, but if they are truly contenders, they should walk away with 5 of those games, at least.  That's a tall order now

22 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

Statement game is next Wednesday in Denver

Right now let’s team rest a little bit, reset and recharge.

Right, the statement game is tomorrow.  They've been getting progressively worse over the last 6 games(ish)........they need to dominate and get back to the game they played for the first 12 or so games.

For their own confidence

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

How many slot chances and cross ice passes are we giving up?

Those are the ones I care about. With the goaltending we have we can give up high danger chances. The ones that kill us are the ones I mentioned.

completely disagree.. in the last 3 season.. the top goalie have an average of .860 overall on high danger chances sv%.. the more chances we give up the more goals will go in regardless whether it's from the slot or cross ice. slot chance and cross ice passes are not even considered a high danger chance unless itdfrom the slot and generates a rebound shot. demko high danger chance sv% is already plummeting back to earth.. he was at .985% 3-4 games ago and now barely above .900.. we give up an average of 13-14 high danger chance per game.. and based on the best goalie sv% over the span of 3 season.. that's on average almost guaranteed 2 goals against on top of whatever regular scoring chance. 

we simply can not continue to give up so many high danger chance and expect to get away with it and thinks demko will stop 99% of them like he has to start the season.. even the vezina winners avg around .860-.880 sv% for those high danger chance.. so i dunno why you think we can give up as much high danger chance as we are now and expect demko to be way better than all the past vezina winners

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Isles

Calgary

Seattle x2

SJx2

Col

Ana

That's one of the softer stretch of games they'll get this year.  I agree that parity makes every game a challenge, but if they are truly contenders, they should walk away with 5 of those games, at least.  That's a tall order now

And they still can

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

I am patient about their progress, but I still want them to make the post season and that means winning games against teams below them in the standings.  They're a wild card team and they need to pick up points in soft parts of the sched.

Beat teams below them in the standings? That's like 27 teams

I don't think it's been a soft schedule. 

Not to take things for granted but I believe the soft part of the schedule starts next game. 

Seattle is a good team and Cgy is not as bad as their record indicates (neither Seattle) 

Under normal circumstances we would probably beat Cgy but that schedule was brutal. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Right, the statement game is tomorrow.  They've been getting progressively worse over the last 6 games(ish)........they need to dominate and get back to the game they played for the first 12 or so games.

For their own confidence

Yes, Monday too.

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

And they still can

Not to take things for granted but I believe the soft part of the schedule starts next game. 

Seattle is a good team and Cgy is not as bad as their record indicates (neither Seattle) 

Under normal circumstances we would probably beat Cgy but that schedule was brutal. 

Other than col and ana, none of those teams are in a playoff spot.  That's what I would consider "soft".  

It's up to Tocchet right now to get more out of the team. After coming into camp ready to play,then having a strong camp, they got off to their great start. They showed what they were capable of, but they're young men and there are going to be times when their talent isn't enough, and when they need to be pushed by their more experienced coaches. I think Tocchet let them play their own way for a bit too long, even though they were starting to slide 5 or 6 games ago. This stretch isn't only on the players to rebound, but also on the coaches to fix some of the mistakes and get more out of a number of players. If they can do that, we're definitely a playoff team. Then if PA and JR can make just a couple of solid moves, next year we're a team that goes deep. Right now I remain optimistic, and if RT can correct this mini slump, I'll be even more so.

19 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

And they still can

I was just going to type this.

People who pencil in games as "easy/should win" are undermining the fact that any team can play a good game or get hot and on a roll. They make reference to much needed confidence but other teams can also build momentum and confidence if they pocket a good win or two. There aren't many teams to "take lightly"....a dangerous mindset.

No games are "easy" in this league. Funny...we hear that officiating isn't easy at this level/pace yet that gets disregarded when it comes to the players on the ice. It's also contradictory to state that we "should win" against these "lesser" teams but in the next breath state why this team isn't there yet. Which one is it? Fence sitting is fine (and should be the case), but it doesn't earn a "see, told you?". If we "should" win then that should be reflected in the overall summary of the team. Glaring holes/not this year or high expectations and should be beating teams?

Nothing is a gimme or easy. And sure....look at "who" they're playing but the "where" and "when" matters too.  This NHL gig isn't quite as easy as some make it out to be....pencil it in and go. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

You take Suter and Soucy out of the lineup those are couple key pieces missing. Hughes and Hronek are getting overworked. Need to give Myers and Cole more minutes.

Oh, don’t agree with that though Juulsen has been doing his best Chaos Juulraffe impression so the options are limited on who can get minutes. 
Myers is manageable on a third pair with a good defensive partner like Soucy, we have never found any way to make him serviceable other than in that situation.  He was a disaster last game it was just Juulsen has been standing out for how bad he has been. 
Think we need to go back to the Hughes-Hrokek, Cole-Friedman top 4 and limit the use of Hirose-Myers as best as can. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1

Re: "Our schedule is easy/soft"

I randomly took some top teams to see what's upcoming. Now, don't just factor in "who" they play, but where and when. I don't know ours is as easy as some others.

Us:

402054000_10160646091320549_607636337374

And them......(Pink Floyd is now playing)

Vegas:

402037711_10160646091370549_195727001655

Toronto:

402849352_10160646091475549_636420239869

Boston:

402063860_10160646091350549_362014613886

Rangers:
401852513_10160646093500549_639037374015

Dallas:

image.png

I did this randomly with some top teams. I'm not sure that we have it soft/easy in comparison.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Seattle and Calgary are not bad teams - I think they are good teams that have had bad starts..The Kraken employed the same suffocating system you saw last night  to knock off the Avalanche.

Seems like the Canucks recent opponents are doing two things - heavy fore check on their D pressuring them in the Canucks zone disrupting their breakouts and the other, attacking the Canucks D at top of the blue line and blocking a lot of shots.  Maybe RT + company can figure out some minor tweaks if needed to offset this.

Best to take it a game at a time starting with SJ tomorrow who will be looking to rebound after the last meeting.  Most importantly, outwork them please!

Go Canucks

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I was just going to type this.

People who pencil in games as "easy/should win" are undermining the fact that any team can play a good game or get hot and on a roll. They make reference to much needed confidence but other teams can also build momentum and confidence if they pocket a good win or two. There aren't many teams to "take lightly"....a dangerous mindset.

No games are "easy" in this league. Funny...we hear that officiating isn't easy at this level/pace yet that gets disregarded when it comes to the players on the ice. It's also contradictory to state that we "should win" against these "lesser" teams but in the next breath state why this team isn't there yet. Which one is it? Fence sitting is fine (and should be the case), but it doesn't earn a "see, told you?". If we "should" win then that should be reflected in the overall summary of the team. Glaring holes/not this year or high expectations and should be beating teams?

Nothing is a gimme or easy. And sure....look at "who" they're playing but the "where" and "when" matters too.  This NHL gig isn't quite as easy as some make it out to be....pencil it in and go. 

Indeed! There is no such thing as an easy win. Not now. Maybe 20 years ago or so. Wouldn't want there to be. How can hockey be entertaining if the results on a 

game are practically a given. (Even if we talk that way in GDTs)🤩.  Bookies would go out of business. Predict the score would be boring.

The biggest improvement that could possibly be made is the officiating, and even that is somewhat better now then in the days, well, take 1994 for instance. 🥸

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, stawns said:

Isles

Calgary

Seattle x2

SJx2

Col

Ana

On paper yes, however what we have seen is the Islanders the Flames and Kraken elevated their game playing against us. We had hard time keeping up in terms of stopping the opposing team get to the net with ease. Like Tocchet said they need to fix bad habits that crept up into their game. Should we be concerned about a complete nosedive, no. 

Teams know we have a lethal powerplay and will do their best to stay out of the box. 

10 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Teams know we have a lethal powerplay and will do their best to stay out of the box. 

And, if Trevor Hanson is the ref they get a lot of help with that.

Last night he only gave Canucks penalties through the first and second and it wasn't until the 3rd was well underway and the Kraken were leading before we got a pp. You can't tell me they played a squeaky clean game...my eyes saw that they didn't.

Also...he didn't "see" JT's goal which would have been missed. Then missed the highstick on the Kraken goal. 

So teams get some help at times. We didn't play great but this crap certainly doesn't help. It slants the ice and gives teams momentum.

I don't like crying over refs....but Hanson's an ass. I have first hand knowledge of that. He should work at Lenscrafters so he can get an employee discount.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

On paper yes, however what we have seen is the Islanders the Flames and Kraken elevated their game playing against us. We had hard time keeping up in terms of stopping the opposing team get to the net with ease. Like Tocchet said they need to fix bad habits that crept up into their game. Should we be concerned about a complete nosedive, no. 

I understand that, bot those teams are all below the playoff line and teams at the top take those points

58 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Re: "Our schedule is easy/soft"

I randomly took some top teams to see what's upcoming. Now, don't just factor in "who" they play, but where and when. I don't know ours is as easy as some others.

Us:

402054000_10160646091320549_607636337374

And them......(Pink Floyd is now playing)

Vegas:

402037711_10160646091370549_195727001655

Toronto:

402849352_10160646091475549_636420239869

Boston:

402063860_10160646091350549_362014613886

Rangers:
401852513_10160646093500549_639037374015

Dallas:

image.png

I did this randomly with some top teams. I'm not sure that we have it soft/easy in comparison.

Nice work! It's not soft.

As people say consistently in the GDT all the time ... we can't take anyone lightly. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Nice work! It's not soft.

As people say consistently in the GDT all the time ... we can't take anyone lightly. 

You don't think a stretch of 10 games where 7 of them.are against teams outside of the playoff window is soft?  That's not to imply that every game isn't tough, but if you're looking at a schedule and see a stretch like that, you're thinking you have to come out of that with 7 wins

Not surprisingly, as this stretch was coming up, that's pretty much what every poster here said.  Now, suddenly, it's bacteacking after they drop 2 out of 3.

• Cheers 1

A lot of the 'soft' teams had slow starts and have been getting better as the NHL roles through

November.  The competition is getting harder and there are fewer 'easy' wins.

One thing we all know about the Canucks, is that they have a good team that is thin on depth.

With Soucy, Suter and Pete (playing injured) their game takes a big hit.  I also think it is early

days for them to consistently play the new system/structure throughout every single game.

It's a work in progress that will have its ups and downs; but will settle into the norm, at some

point in the season.

This is why I haven't viewed them as a contender as yet.  I'm confident that they will make the

playoffs, but they will need 2-4 additions to make any noise. It's essential that they make the

playoffs, but anything beyond the 1st round would certainly add the needed experience to

become a contender.