[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Seattle Kraken ⏰ Nov. 18, 2023, 7:00 PM PT📍Rogers Arena

twonum

3 hours ago, Blue said:

None of these losses had the same vibes to them as losses in the last 2 years. Both losses , we had the first goal and were tied for a period +. 

Both were winnable. 

True. They never felt completely out of the Seattle game. They were in it until the dying seconds. This team has turned a corner on who they are. Does that mean there won’t be hurdles and headaches in their midst? Of course not. 

• Cheers 3

Our injuries dictated our depth talent. If anyone here thought our schedule was going to be easy, please don't gamble.

This team is built to compete. Sure we have holes to fill , no easy task with our cap. Bit l tend to think we will turn our play around. 

Rick has done what we never expected , put the Nucks on the map.

Minor tweaks may work , players on different lines. 

We assume the tdl will make or break this season. Personally l don't see this as a given. Our pool is still very young ,developing will help. Looking at a 2-4year window for proper development is my guess. I could be wrong. Whereas l am assuming.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

You don't think a stretch of 10 games where 7 of them.are against teams outside of the playoff window is soft?  That's not to imply that every game isn't tough, but if you're looking at a schedule and see a stretch like that, you're thinking you have to come out of that with 7 wins

Not surprisingly, as this stretch was coming up, that's pretty much what every poster here said.  Now, suddenly, it's bacteacking after they drop 2 out of 3.

I wouldn't say "soft" given the parity that exists in the league now. If anything, because of that, people's expectations need to be adjusted. 

I'd say degrees of weakness and potential to beat, sure, but I don't think "soft". I don't look at the schedule anymore with that mindset.

Habs aren't soft. The Islanders aren't soft. The Kraken aren't soft. The Avs and Vegas certainly aren't soft. The Ducks are proving to be "not soft". Any of those teams can beat us or anyone on any given night. We see it each week. The only team that's been a gimme from a soft standpoint has been the Sharks.

You can make blanket statements like they're soft but we both know there's a lot more to it than that on any given night. Other factors are at play. 

And ...

Every GDT against a so called "soft" team, people say over and over and over that ... we can't take them lightly (even against the Sharks that was being said). 

People never say... these guys are soft, we should win. 

27 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

True. They never felt completely out of the Seattle game. They were in it until the dying seconds. This team has turned a corner on who they are. Does that mean there won’t be hurdles and headaches in their midst? Of course not. 

Yep, watching it again to see if I missed something.

2-2 in the second, shots are even and Hoggy just hit a crossbar that could've put us ahead. As time winds down there are 2 incidents that could have been called on the Kraken, but weren't. Boeser let the refs know but....they don't give a sh.

This game easily could've turned in a different direction. 

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, snowman955 said:

Our injuries dictated our depth talent. If anyone here thought our schedule was going to be easy, please don't gamble.

This team is built to compete. Sure we have holes to fill , no easy task with our cap. Bit l tend to think we will turn our play around. 

Rick has done what we never expected , put the Nucks on the map.

Minor tweaks may work , players on different lines. 

We assume the tdl will make or break this season. Personally l don't see this as a given. Our pool is still very young ,developing will help. Looking at a 2-4year window for proper development is my guess. I could be wrong. Whereas l am assuming.

I think the number of injuries could make or break our season. A couple solid depth guys go down and we struggle. We almost have enough good young players to manage but theres a noticeable drop off. You're right our development pool of prospects is improving. Id prefer if we stay the course and not make a big trade deadline splash.

16 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

I think the number of injuries could make or break our season. A couple solid depth guys go down and we struggle. We almost have enough good young players to manage but theres a noticeable drop off. You're right our development pool of prospects is improving. Id prefer if we stay the course and not make a big trade deadline splash.

💯 

3 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Also, McCann's a chickensh punk. Petey danced him in the first period and he took his revenge on Petey in the third. But, when Juulsen wanted to "discuss it", of course McCann weasled.

The surprise was Juulsen. Didn't know he had that in his game.

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

And, if Trevor Hanson is the ref they get a lot of help with that.

Last night he only gave Canucks penalties through the first and second and it wasn't until the 3rd was well underway and the Kraken were leading before we got a pp. You can't tell me they played a squeaky clean game...my eyes saw that they didn't.

Also...he didn't "see" JT's goal which would have been missed. Then missed the highstick on the Kraken goal. 

So teams get some help at times. We didn't play great but this crap certainly doesn't help. It slants the ice and gives teams momentum.

I don't like crying over refs....but Hanson's an ass. I have first hand knowledge of that. He should work at Lenscrafters so he can get an employee discount.

It is up to other ref to make the call.  If he's Trevor's partner then he should not give him the lenient and should also made the call also if he sees the penalty 100 feet away then he should make the call also.  So he is culprit for allowing that to happen to the Canucks with missed calls as well.   No matter the seniority of the officials, every officials are responsible for their own game calling as well if one is not up to their usual standard, he then should review their own partner's performance and should make a report to the league if there is a suspicious performance time and time again.  I also feel that every partner should be rotated so that two pairs do not work on every game together to ensure the fairness.  If they work together every game all season long then they would develop their bias over time to cover their tracks. I have not been able to keep track of every officials schedule.   Granted, the refereeing has been so far fair to the Canucks in the first month except for first few games of the season. 

For every game that is broken open, the ref had no choice but to make such calls to keep it fair but if the game is close, they would not make any calls is the pattern that I have noticed hoping that fans wouldn't notice but I do notice this pattern for their end game agenda.  Last two games is the perfect example of it, when they don't have leg and they continue to do the same thing, interference and trying to slow us down without noticing anything because nobody on the Canucks had their leg and speed to make a big difference in their game calling.  The Canucks have had to earn this first 5 on 5 before rewarding them with PP and that is how they roll.

One last thought, Deb, ever notice that Seattle has looked fresher than the Canucks despite the vicinity of the location.   Take a closer look at the schedule and our schedule, they do have it easy with their schedule and how they looked fresh despite their strength of schedule and their record is telling and strength of their roster as well.  When they are matched energy-wise early in the season, they didn't really do well but when they have looked fresher, they were able to  grind their way with victories lately based on the schedule.  Location do matter that much on how they travelled so far.  Seattle didn't go to the Eastern road trip twice.  They were given an opportunity to rest with road trip within their own time zone.  By the time we are rested, they have had to go out again in late December.  We are not truly rested until after Thanksgiving and even by then, we still have to go one gamer trip to Calgary in midst of home-stand.    We can always compare ourselves with Seattle's schedule in last two seasons and it's really telling how much difference with energy-wise when it comes to league's bias on schedule maker.  For every trip we made, they throw us with back to back home games after a lengthy trip then throw us with one gamer trips and throw us with eastern trip right after then throw us back to back games then finally throw us with Thanksgiving road trip in all short time span without giving us some kind of rest and recovery.   I wouldn't mind us going out on the road trip this early but give us time to actually play in our time zone even on a trip on our own time zone without going back and forth to the Eastern twice in a month.  Vegas didn't go out to the eastern conference trip until this past week.  It is all about timing and they do make a bad timing intentionally every year and would give us good schedule at 2nd half of the season.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I wouldn't say "soft" given the parity that exists in the league now. If anything, because of that, people's expectations need to be adjusted. 

I'd say degrees of weakness and potential to beat, sure, but I don't think "soft". I don't look at the schedule anymore with that mindset.

Habs aren't soft. The Islanders aren't soft. The Kraken aren't soft. The Avs and Vegas certainly aren't soft. The Ducks are proving to be "not soft". Any of those teams can beat us or anyone on any given night. We see it each week. The only team that's been a gimme from a soft standpoint has been the Sharks.

You can make blanket statements like they're soft but we both know there's a lot more to it than that on any given night. Other factors are at play. 

And ...

Every GDT against a so called "soft" team, people say over and over and over that ... we can't take them lightly (even against the Sharks that was being said). 

People never say... these guys are soft, we should win. 

Soft in the context of the league, overall, nit they are soft teams.  Anyone who says they weren't expecting the Canucks to come out of this 10 game stretch is bs'ing, imo.

Prior to the Islanders game everyone was discussing how this part of the schedule is where they would/should put some real separation between them.anf the wild card teams.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

Soft in the context of the league, overall, nit they are soft teams.  Anyone who says they weren't expecting the Canucks to come out of this 10 game stretch is bs'ing, imo.

Prior to the Islanders game everyone was discussing how this part of the schedule is where they would/should put some real separation between them.anf the wild card teams.

Some of us understand that you look beyond  just the opponents to a scope that includes the schedule and overall team health. Travel, back to backs, etc.

If you look at a stretch of 10 games in advance and pencil that in, that's your mistake not ours. 

We're in a pretty good spot overall (in context) unless you project into the future, which is another mistake. 

Game by game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Some of us understand that you look beyond  just the opponents to a scope that includes the schedule and overall team health. Travel, back to backs, etc.

If you look at a stretch of 10 games in advance and pencil that in, that's your mistake not ours. 

We're in a pretty good spot overall (in context) unless you project into the future, which is another mistake. 

Game by game.

Brick by Brick.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

The gap between good teams and "soft" teams is much smaller than years past. As a result, like I said, people need to adjust their expectations. The "should win" games aren't as easy anymore.

We're seeing the team struggle after such a great start. That happens to be this stretch. It was bound to happen.

And I think a lot of that talk also shows that people were/are wrong. Especially given how we were bound to struggle at some point.

So, we're expecting them to come out of that stretch 7/10 yet we're also expecting them to cool off and struggle. 

I think it's not as black and white as some want it to be. 

Does that mean we're not a good team? No, of course not. Our GF/GA is at the top of the league. In fact, we're leading the league on goals by a wide margin.

Keep in mind, again n the GDTs, people also say ... every single game ... that each game is a big game, big test, pivotal game ... lol ... even against so called soft teams. 

18 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

This was a very winnable divisional game, but they let McCann run wild with no repercussion and Demko let in some BAD goals. 

Kraken has beaten us 3 in a row after we won 8 against them, so what are we doing wrong now. The Kraken knows how to beat us now