[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Seattle Kraken ⏰ Nov. 18, 2023, 7:00 PM PT📍Rogers Arena

twonum

17 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

agree with that, but i thought petey has a wrist or hand injury? if he does, probably still nursing it still, like you said.

It's either a wrist, 'cos again we are seeing a reluctance to shoot, or an ankle, 'cos he's flopping like Bambi all over the ice

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

It's either a wrist, 'cos again we are seeing a reluctance to shoot, or an ankle, 'cos he's flopping like Bambi all over the ice

Or maybe both, I don't think I've ever seen him this ineffective. There is definitely something wrong with a leg, hip, of foot because he doesn't have that extra Petey gear.  And it was well known around the league that he had a wrist injury a couple of years ago that shut down his one-timer. Teams know this and will target his hands. The fact that he's still dressing and giving what he has, throwing his body around (4 hits last night) speaks to the Viking warrior in him. He needs more help from Kuzzy and Mik to drive that line.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

Or maybe both, I don't think I've ever seen him this ineffective. There is definitely something wrong with a leg, hip, of foot because he doesn't have that extra Petey gear.  And it was well known around the league that he had a wrist injury a couple of years ago that shut down his one-timer. Teams know this and will target his hands. The fact that he's still dressing and giving what he has, throwing his body around (4 hits last night) speaks to the Viking warrior in him. He needs more help from Kuzzy and Mik to drive that line.

I don't really see signs of an injury.......maybe he was sick and is struggling to get back to where he was.  I do see signs of confidence issues though

I'm starting to wonder about PDG. I know he's the "puck hunter" on that line, but man, his stick is where plays go to die. It's like JT and Brock are playing a two-man game, and sometimes Miller forces the puck to PDG to try to get him points rather than taking the shot himself and letting PDG clean up the rebound. I'm hoping Podz can recover his pre-concussion form in Abby because he was doing precisely what Tocchet sent him down there to do: become a dominant power forward. Before the injury, I was thinking a January call-up was looking possible. The Miller line could use a "puck hunter" who was also a scoring option. On a decent team, PDG is effectively a bottom-six or 13th forward. He's a great story, but there is a reason why a guy in his 30s is a career farmer, he's not that good.

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't really see signs of an injury.......maybe he was sick and is struggling to get back to where he was.  I do see signs of confidence issues though

How could he not have confidence? He leads the league in scoring. The guys on the radio postgame and IMac talked about his legs and lack of his extra gear last night, I was thinking the same thing. There were times earlier this year when Petey would take the puck in our end, button hook to buy time, and then thread a perfect outlet. Now he takes it on the wall and just shovels it along. That tells me he can't move his feet the way he would like to. He is also not shooting as well, but his faceoffs seem to be okay, which suggests a top hand or right arm or shoulder issue.

Edited by Canuckleheads Fan
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

How could he not have confidence? He leads the league in scoring. The guys on the radio postgame and IMac talked about his legs and lack of his extra gear last night, I was thinking the same thing. There were times earlier this year when Petey would take the puck in our end, button hook to buy time, and then thread a perfect outlet. Now he takes it on the wall and just shovels it along. That tells me he can't move his feet the way he would like to. He is also not shooting as well, but his faceoffs seem to be okay, which suggests a top hand or right arm or shoulder issue.

For young players, confidence can be a fickle mistress.  You can see him second guessing himself on shot selection and puck handling.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

They said on the post game last Saturday that he was battling through something.

So not a confidence issue or a mental block.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Untrue. All because of him?

Did you watch the rest of the team? 

They got beat everywhere on the ice.  

QH bone headed giveaways.  

EP not doing much. 

I can keep going.  Don't scapegoat him. 

I actually saw him bring some much needed physicality and I thought it was one of his better games actually.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stawns said:

Other than col and ana, none of those teams are in a playoff spot.  That's what I would consider "soft".  

It's less than 20 games in. You would legit say Seattle is "softer" than Anaheim? I see Arizona took over 8th spot today. So now the coyotes are a stronger team than Seattle, Cgy, Minni etc? 

I would be very surprised if Anaheim and Arizona finished the season ahead of Seattle in the standings. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

It's less than 20 games in. You would legit say Seattle is "softer" than Anaheim? I see Arizona took over 8th spot today. So now the coyotes are a stronger team than Seattle, Cgy, Minni etc? 

I would be very surprised if Anaheim and Arizona finished the season ahead of Seattle in the standings. 

Yup, Seattle had a rough start, took them some time for their new players to get the hang, but they play a similar system to Vancouver, they have speed, they'll be fine, they are a playoff club. As I said last night, our top players are better than theirs, but they have more depth. The big difference is our superior goaltending, though last night Grubauer played well enough to win, and Thatcher didn't.

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Neither is in a playoff spot, ATM.

5 hours ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

I'm starting to wonder about PDG. I know he's the "puck hunter" on that line, but man, his stick is where plays go to die. It's like JT and Brock are playing a two-man game, and sometimes Miller forces the puck to PDG to try to get him points rather than taking the shot himself and letting PDG clean up the rebound. I'm hoping Podz can recover his pre-concussion form in Abby because he was doing precisely what Tocchet sent him down there to do: become a dominant power forward. Before the injury, I was thinking a January call-up was looking possible. The Miller line could use a "puck hunter" who was also a scoring option. On a decent team, PDG is effectively a bottom-six or 13th forward. He's a great story, but there is a reason why a guy in his 30s is a career farmer, he's not that good.

I think he has earned his spot and is doing well. I like him and think he is fine on that line. PDG is not the player you should be targeting as underperforming. Pods needs more time in the minors and we’ll see later if he is ready.

11 hours ago, Captain Kirk said:

Seems more and more like not having Soucy in our line up could make or break the season?

I think canucks built up such a good start that they can make the playoffs with the current team. The team as is has first round fodder written all over them. Soucy however comes back around Christmas. 

Once we get him back, offload some salary like AB and pick up another top 4 D man, I think we're pretty set. 

12 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

TSN turning point:

Once they allowed that off side to continue and the Canucks were forced to ice the puck, there was a mad scramble to get to the bench which led to that first Seattle goal.

Thank you linesmen

Sarcastic Clap GIF by Chuey Martinez

12 hours ago, -dlc- said:

This also was a source of contention for me. Just because JT's goal counted doesn't mean this tip in with a high stick should've.

403608059_10160646202715549_245868010447

Wow I didn't see that angle. 

What the heck were the refs looking at? 

Also McCann intentionally slew footing the NHL scoring leader TWICE? That kid needs to get his face caved in. 

7 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Right, it keeps changing which means that the teams you have defined as either soft or not soft changes on the daily.. 

As a playoff team (and one in a divisional spot, not wild card) you see a stretch if 10 games where 7-8 of those are against teams, don't you think "my expectation is to win those games against teams with poor records"?

1 hour ago, stawns said:

As a playoff team (and one in a divisional spot, not wild card) you see a stretch if 10 games where 7-8 of those are against teams, don't you think "my expectation is to win those games against teams with poor records"?

I think most would agree Vegas would be a very challenging team to use as a benchmark for our team. 

Firstly, let's remember we were a basement team last year while I make this lofty comparison 

Vegas lost to

Chi, Anaheim, LA, Washington, Philly, Pitts 

We lost to

Philly, Tampa, NYR, Toronto, Cgy and Seattle

Personally, I think our losses look better (if there is such a thing) 

There used to be a saying, to make the playoffs, play .500 hockey against playoff teams and beat the teams you should beat. What you are saying is similar to that but when looking at our overall body of work, we are essentially doing that.

We are 3-3-1 against playoff teams and 9-2 vs non playoff teams. 

The 2 losses against non playoff teams were Cgy and Seattle.

One game (Cgy) was our 4th game in 6 nights on the 2nd half of a back to back after a Eastern road Trip. 

I think its pretty understandable to give the team a pass on that. I bought tickets to that Cgy game and watched it live and still am not upset about the game because I understood where the team was at in terms of fatigue and injuries (Kuz, Suter, Soucy) 

The other was against Seattle in which the game was actually really close. Personally I think Seattle will manage to catch Arizona and Anaheim and make the playoffs and if that's the case, our only blemish against a "non playoff team" would be Cgy. 

If those 2 losses are what we are nitpicking the team about then I really think it's much ado about nothing. 

There are games we won recently when we haven't been all that sharp and I do hope we tighten that up a bit. 

But basically, what I'm saying is that we are and have been winning games which we should be winning. 

I would be more apt to agree with you if you were critiquing our sharpness and attention to detail as of late rather than saying we are losing games we should be winning. 

At least with that take, we can explore and see whether that was due to fatigue, injuries or just getting away from systems. 

9 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I think most would agree Vegas would be a very challenging team to use as a benchmark for our team. 

Firstly, let's remember we were a basement team last year while I make this lofty comparison 

Vegas lost to

Chi, Anaheim, LA, Washington, Philly, Pitts 

We lost to

Philly, Tampa, NYR, Toronto, Cgy and Seattle

Personally, I think our losses look better (if there is such a thing) 

There used to be a saying, to make the playoffs, play .500 hockey against playoff teams and beat the teams you should beat. What you are saying is similar to that but when looking at our overall body of work, we are essentially doing that.

We are 3-3-1 against playoff teams and 9-2 vs non playoff teams. 

The 2 losses against non playoff teams were Cgy and Seattle.

One game (Cgy) was our 4th game in 6 nights on the 2nd half of a back to back after a Eastern road Trip. 

I think its pretty understandable to give the team a pass on that. I bought tickets to that Cgy game and watched it live and still am not upset about the game because I understood where the team was at in terms of fatigue and injuries (Kuz, Suter, Soucy) 

The other was against Seattle in which the game was actually really close. Personally I think Seattle will manage to catch Arizona and Anaheim and make the playoffs and if that's the case, our only blemish against a "non playoff team" would be Cgy. 

If those 2 losses are what we are nitpicking the team about then I really think it's much ado about nothing. 

There are games we won recently when we haven't been all that sharp and I do hope we tighten that up a bit. 

But basically, what I'm saying is that we are and have been winning games which we should be winning. 

I would be more apt to agree with you if you were critiquing our sharpness and attention to detail as of late rather than saying we are losing games we should be winning. 

At least with that take, we can explore and see whether that was due to fatigue, injuries or just getting away from systems. 

But, when you look at a 10 game stretch, like the Canucks are, would you not expect to win the vast majority of those games?

16 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Here's the whole segment. 

Guy wants to win.  Nuff said. 

I bet he'll be a great coach after his playing career too.

Scott Oak rubs me the wrong way.

Tomlinson is turning out to be really good at Cheech's old gig. He has a subtle sense of humour. 

I hope they keep alternating between Tomlinson and Ferraro all season.

21 hours ago, stawns said:

You don't think a stretch of 10 games where 7 of them.are against teams outside of the playoff window is soft?  That's not to imply that every game isn't tough, but if you're looking at a schedule and see a stretch like that, you're thinking you have to come out of that with 7 wins

Not surprisingly, as this stretch was coming up, that's pretty much what every poster here said.  Now, suddenly, it's bacteacking after they drop 2 out of 3.

Pretty funny to see so many folks grasping at straws to explain away every little reasonable rationale though. Bottom line, we've struggled in the last 4-6 games and you're absolutely right the next stretch is an easier look and we should 100% be looking to gain back some points before it gets really tough again. Of course no  games are "easy" but after the last stretch this team needs to get back to business and collect points. I guess some people have to rock against every little notion and cry foul if we don't win every game.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Pretty funny to see so many folks grasping at straws to explain away every little reasonable rationale though. Bottom line, we've struggled in the last 4-6 games and you're absolutely right the next stretch is an easier look and we should 100% be looking to gain back some points before it gets really tough again. Of course no  games are "easy" but after the last stretch this team needs to get back to business and collect points. I guess some people have to rock against every little notion and cry foul if we don't win every game.

As usual, the enabler crowd completely misunderstand terminology.  When I say soft, I'm referring to the schedule, not the actual teams.  You're absolutely right, there are no easy games, but when you hit a stretch of games against teams below the playoff line you should expect to bank some points if you're truly a contending team.

To me, this stretch is going to show us who they really are.  Are they actually a real contender or are they sitting at wild card level?

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

But, when you look at a 10 game stretch, like the Canucks are, would you not expect to win the vast majority of those games?

And they did didn't they? 

They're 7-3 in their last 10 considering their schedule's been brutal including 2 back to back games and an eastern road trip.

Coming into this season, what were you hoping for?