[Proposal] Two ex-Canucks are still free agents - are they the band-aids we need?

3 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Have you not seen Kessel's play lately? We are far better off with Beauvillier and Hogs by a long shot. 

Lately? No, he isn't playing with any team this year (yet). He did play all 82 games for Vegas last season, winning a Cup. He didn't play much in the playoffs though (4 games), but still, the guy wins. Can't say the same for Beau. I think he's more interested in modeling after hockey. Plays a pretty safe game, got to protect those pearly whites for those future photo shoots.  Guy needs to lose a few teeth IMO, look more like a player. Just can't see Beau ever lifting the Holy Grail. 

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Lately? No, he isn't playing with any team this year (yet). He did play all 82 games for Vegas last season, winning a Cup. He didn't play much in the playoffs though (4 games), but still, the guy wins. Can't say the same for Beau. I think he's more interested in modeling after hockey. Plays a pretty safe game, got to protect those pearly whites for those future photo shoots.  Guy needs to lose a few teeth IMO, look more like a player. Just can't see Beau ever lifting the Holy Grail. 

Kessel's a "has been" and is irrelevant. He isn't much more then a warm body on an NHL roster now. You don't like Beau because of his teeth? Good assesment 😆

Beau is a top 6 player who unfortunately is not a good fit here, he is out of his element where he is being deployed here right now. That is not a good assesment of him though because he needs to play with more skilled players to be successful IMO. 

I thought much of the same for Garland as well but it seems he has finally found some chemistry with Blueger and Joshua.

Beau at least plays a decent defense game which you are not going to get from a guy like Kessel. 

4 hours ago, grumpyone said:

yes to Edler...........for a one day contract so that he can retire a Canuck.

Yes, I could Bear signing Bear to a reasonable contract, say 2 years @ no more than $2 million

I think, if healthy, Bear would probably sign for somewhere around 1.5 - 1.75 to prove himself relevant again. He's been out a long time and was parked in Carolina for a LONG time before we picked him up for a late round draft pick with retained salary.

I actually think the price tag on Bear for this season only could be as low as 1.25 million and then re-evaluate in the summer against where the other RD guys we have in the group are at in terms of development. 

This coming summer, there will be much more flexibility for all teams in cap space, and assets will be available on trade at more reasonable rates.

I'm really good with making trades if they are hockey trades. I'd love to have Tanev or Zadorov on the team, but not at the expense of sacrificing our ability to do moves this coming summer when we might be able to pick one up in free agency.

Fans need to remember, the teams who would realistically look at acquiring any of Tanev, Zadorov or Hanifin are, for the most part, all teams that share something in common; none of them have cap space!

Regardless of how Calgary "wants" to do things, they aren't going to be ablet do anything without taking a contract back. With Vancouver, that most likely means Beauvillier, who although I like him as an overall player, I've said constantly, he doesn't have a long-term position on this team. 

When we traded for Hronek, a lot of fans thought it was an overpayment. Looking at that trade now, we got exceptional value in that trade and personally, I would make it again in a minute. It put us on the path to being a contender again, but we still have a lot of work to do. We don't have the bottom 6 depth, or the defensive depth to win the cup and there's not really any shortcuts there.

Stay the course, wait for next summer, adjust the lineup where it makes complete sense for Canucks and make next year our real year!

Agreed on getting someone like Zadorov, whose size and strength we'll probably need for a playoff run (Myers and Friedman are solid enough as RHD and luckily we can move Soucy and Cole over, but we might not have enough truculence if any of those guys gets injured).  Getting him plus a big young guy like Ruzicka or Greer would be pretty smart IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

Agreed on getting someone like Zadorov, whose size and strength we'll probably need for a playoff run (Myers and Friedman are solid enough as RHD and luckily we can move Soucy and Cole over, but we might not have enough truculence if any of those guys gets injured).  Getting him plus a big young guy like Ruzicka or Greer would be pretty smart IMO.

I agree, we are OK for the regular season but we are going to need some big bodies to move out the bigger bodied teams in the playoffs. They tend to impose themselves a bit more then and we are going to need more then one or two big guys in the line up.

9 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

What do you anticipate the acquisition cost being?  

18 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

What do you anticipate the acquisition cost being?  

If some team like the Leafs really wants him I could see them go all in, but I wouldn't offer more than a 2nd, and whatever we could get in return for Beauvillier (or A.B. himself to make the cap work).

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

If some team like the Leafs really wants him I could see them go all in, but I wouldn't offer more than a 2nd, and whatever we could get in return for Beauvillier (or A.B. himself to make the cap work).

Beauvillier at his cap got and offensive contributions had negative trade value. The only bright spot is his contract is expiring at the end of this year so we can use him as a salary matcher for a trade.

On 11/18/2023 at 2:05 PM, EdgarM said:

Kessel's a "has been" and is irrelevant. He isn't much more then a warm body on an NHL roster now. You don't like Beau because of his teeth? Good assesment 😆

Beau is a top 6 player who unfortunately is not a good fit here, he is out of his element where he is being deployed here right now. That is not a good assesment of him though because he needs to play with more skilled players to be successful IMO. 

I thought much of the same for Garland as well but it seems he has finally found some chemistry with Blueger and Joshua.

Beau at least plays a decent defense game which you are not going to get from a guy like Kessel. 

Wasn't a good fit in NYI either, four years getting top four minutes, they certainly were happy to cut bait.    Maybe he's just overpaid.   8-10 goal scorers are a dime a dozen (this years pace with bottom six minutes).    And well what does he really do?    For 40 points he's ok, but you hope for more in your top six. After this contract, he's likely getting a big pay cut.      

Edited by IBatch

23 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Team is doing great at this point so no need for either.

Only upgrade I want is to ship a forward out and maybe a mid round pick to upgrade the RD spot.

So add a Brisbois?  Or a Stillman without the cap dump attached?  But a RHD.   Suppose if we are lucky enough, we could find a Schenn at the TDL as a rental, for a third. 

Edited by IBatch

23 hours ago, IBatch said:

So add a Brisbois?  Or a Stillman without the cap dump attached?  But a RHD.   Suppose if we are lucky enough, we could find a Schenn at the TDL as a rental, for a third. 

Nope like trade for one, or multi trade.Or even three team trade, whatever works.

Then next year let Myers go bring up full time one of 

Johansson,Woo or McWard.

No more bandaids like Bear.